IGNORED

Warrior Advice

Steely

Am loving the Arms build. Switched from Fury at level 48, breezed past 50. Looking forward to Bladestorm though

Compared to Fury, whcih is a really simple rotation, Arms has more abilities lighting up. And they all seem to hurt! A lot! Great stuff. Swing a 2 handed sword rocks as well.

Warriors may be pretty simple to play, but I love em.

• 4 weeks later...

I revived my 45 warrior this morning who up to now has been dual boxed as prot. He's got a free respec and am thinking of going arms as I hear its really good fun. Is the spec jack posted on the last page still up to date? Being an Orc I guess I should be looking for a big fuck off 2H axe for the racial.

In terms of twinking for levelling I saw a Firey War Axe on the AH this morning which while a lvl35 weapon seemed pretty good. If I were to get that and chuck a crusader/something else enchant on it would it last a long time, or am I better off just getting the biggest & baddest one I can get each time i visit the AH?

I don't have enough badges to get heirloom shoulders just yet (spent them all on caster stuff) but was thinking of getting the leather melee ones as I'll be able to reuse them on any other class. Are the plate ones much better?

The build's still viable, but I now have the three points from Deflection put into Improved Heroic Strike, because let's face it, I'm going to use Heroic Strike more times than I'll ever parry as DPS. Arms is ridiculously good for levelling now - once you get three points in Taste For Blood, you can just Rend and Overpower everything into oblivion. Fury really needs a lot of work before I'll go back to it.

Not enough better to justify buying them. I used the leather ones on Raeg so I could pass them along to my rogue afterwards. They could be made of tissue paper and grant 0 stats and they'd still be worth wearing for the 10% xp.

If you've not got the emblems for the Arcanite Reaper there's a sword you can get for 325 Stone Keepers shard. If you've not got that either though you could make do with the Whirlwind Axe you get from the warrior quest till you hit 58 and can equip something from Outland. It'll get a little weedy towards the end, but it's quite capable of lasting that long. Particularly if you go to the trouble of enchanting it. Or just buy a big green axe of the AH, they work suprisingly well..

You can get the spear from AV at 51, but for the sake of a handful of levels I'd just power on till outlands.

Emblems & Stone Keeper Shards are the things I'm short of, gold much less so. I guess I can trade some valour badges to buy the shoulders, and I'll just get a big axe from the AH. Which is the whirlwind axe? Is that the quest where you kill the elemental near TM?

Edit: ah yes, looking at wowhead reminds me I'm in the kill the elementals in arathi part of that quest line

Here's some Warrior advice: Don't be this guy.

zerker.jpg

This is as Fury on Kel'Thuzad in 25-man. He won the helmet token. :lol:

Heres some Warrior advice based on that chart - Reroll Paladin :unsure:

Or was he tank? I see now its number 14

He was DPS. Allegedly. In terms of actual DPS, he's less than even the two Druid tanks beneath him on that chart, and they spent half the fight sitting at the side until the Guardians came in. Anyway, for anyone who wants it, here's an up to date how to play guide. I wrote this for my guild's forums, but i'll come in handy here too.

Warrior PvE DPS guide

'The art of hitting big things with big sticks.'

Arms

Talent build and Glyphs: Valid as of 3.2.0

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LhrcbfIzxb0...ioGx00xb:msq0zV

Core abilities and talents

Battle Stance

A balanced combat stance that increases the armor penetration of all of your attacks by 10%.

Most of your abilities are only usable in Battle Stance, so you might as well stay in it.

Bladestorm

Instantly Whirlwind up to 4 nearby targets and for the next 6 sec you will perform a whirlwind attack every 1 sec. While under the effects of Bladestorm, you can move but cannot perform any other abilities but you do not feel pity or remorse or fear and you cannot be stopped unless killed.

Bladestorm is fantastic for AOE situations, and respectable on single targets. Use this whenever you get the chance, but be warned that it can generate threat very quickly, so make sure your tank has a solid lock on the target first.

Mortal Strike

A vicious strike that deals weapon damage plus 380 and wounds the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 10 sec.

One of your main sources of damage. Use this whenever the cooldown is off. The healing reduction debuff is occasionally useful in PvE, but not a lot of bosses have the ability to heal themselves.

Execute / Sudden Death

Attempt to finish off a wounded foe, causing [1456 + AP * 0.2] damage and converting each extra point of rage into 38 additional damage (up to a maximum cost of 30 rage). Only usable on enemies that have less than 20% health.

-

Your melee hits have a 9% chance of allowing the use of Execute regardless of the target's health state. In addition, you keep at least 10 rage after using Execute.

Combined with Sudden Death, Execute is now a viable source of constant DPS. Use it whenever it lights up.

3.2 UPDATE! Execute now only ever uses a maximum of 30 rage, which should prevent you from being rage-starved after dumping it all with one execute.

Overpower / Rend / Taste For Blood

Instantly overpower the enemy, causing weapon damage. Only useable after the target dodges. The Overpower cannot be blocked, dodged or parried.

-

Wounds the target causing them to bleed for 380 damage plus an additional [1 * ((MWB + mwb) / 2 + AP / 14 * MWS)] (based on weapon damage) over 15 sec. If used while your target is above 75% health, Rend does 35% more damage.

-

Whenever your Rend ability causes damage, you have a 100% chance of allowing the use of your Overpower ability for 9 sec. 1 charge. This effect will not occur more than once every 6 sec.

As with Execute/Sudden Death, this combo makes a once-situational ability a more stable DPS tool. Keep Rend up at all times, and hit Overpower whenever Taste For Blood activates.

Slam

Slams the opponent, causing weapon damage plus 250.

When combined with the Improved Slam talent, Slam only takes half a second to use. Use this when you have an excess of rage, or when you have no other abilities available to use.

Summary:

Keep Bladestorm and Mortal Strike on cooldown.

Keep Rend up at all times.

Use Overpower whenever Taste For Blood activates.

Use Execute whenever Sudden Death activates.

Use Slam when none of the above are available.

Fury

Talent build and Glyphs: Valid as of 3.2.0

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#LGMc0fhZGx00Ebu0eRVkAo:moG0zM

Core abilities and talents

Berserker Stance

An aggressive stance. Critical hit chance is increased by 3% and all damage taken is increased by 5%.

You’ll want to stay in this stance pretty much all the time.

Bloodthirst

Instantly attack the target causing [AP * 50 / 100] damage. In addition, the next 3 successful melee attacks will restore 1% of max health. This effect lasts 8 sec. Damage is based on your attack power.

Use this at all times. The health restoration is a nice bonus.

Whirlwind

In a whirlwind of steel you attack up to 4 enemies within 8 yards, causing weapon damage from both melee weapons to each enemy.

Again, use this at all times. Especially useful in AOE situations. Be mindful of hitting any CCed targets nearby though.

Slam / Bloodsurge

Slams the opponent, causing weapon damage plus 250.

-

Your Heroic Strike, Bloodthirst, and Whirlwind hits have a 20% chance of making your next Slam instant for 5 sec.

Slam's cast time is far too long for normal Fury use, so use it only when Bloodsurge lights up.

Heroic Strike

A strong attack that increases melee damage by 495 and causes a high amount of threat. Causes 173.25 additional damage against Dazed targets.

This ability is useful for burning off excess rage, but be warned that it will cause extra threat, and can burn your rage to zero if used constantly. Only use it when you’re above 70 rage.

Summary:

Keep Bloodthirst and Whirlwind on cooldown.

Use Slam whenever Bloodsurge activates.

Use Heroic Strike when you have excess rage.

Hit Rating

The hit 'cap' determines whether your attacks will miss the target. 32 hit rating translates into a 1% chance to hit the target.

Arms Warriors should aim to have an 8% hit chance, which translates to 263 hit rating. Going over this is pointless, as stacking hit beyond the 8% cap does nothing for your DPS.

Fury Warriors have the Precision talent, which adds 3% hit. This lowers the hit cap for Fury Warriors to 164 for special abilities, but your off-hand weapon has a reduced chance to hit, which requires 27% hit to cancel out. You don’t particularly need to worry about hitting this, but extra hit rating past the cap doesn’t hurt for Fury Warriors.

Expertise Rating

Expertise determines whether your attacks will be dodged or parried by the target. It's slightly easier for DPS since enemies can only parry attacks from in front of them, so you should always be behind or to the side of your target. They can still dodge your attacks though. Achieving the expertise 'soft' cap will negate their change to dodge. Expertise rating translates into skill at the rate of about 8.2 rating for each point of skill.

Arms Warriors have the Strength of Arms talent, which adds a maximum of 4 expertise in addition to boosting Stamina and Strength. They also have access to the Weapon Mastery talent, which lowers the chance that attacks will be dodged by a maximum of 2%. This lowers the amount of expertise needed to 18, or about 144 expertise rating.

Fury has no talents which improve expertise, so the aspiring berserker should aim for 26 expertise, which translates to 214 expertise rating.

There are also various racial bonuses when using certain weapons which add pure expertise. Humans gain 3 expertise from Sword and Mace Specialization when using a sword or mace. Dwarves gain 5 expertise from Mace Specialization when using a mace, and Orcs gain 5 expertise from Axe Specialization when using an axe or fist weapon.

A quick arms weapons guide if you're not getting the heirloom one and don't want to rely on instance drops:

lvl 43 Executioner's Cleaver (AH) -> lvl 51 Ice Barbed Spear (AV Quest) -> lvl 60 Blade of Misfortune (AH) / HWL Weapon of choice (roughly 25k Honor + tokens)-> lvl 66 Arkadian Claymore (Halaa Vendor 8g) -> lvl 68 Axe of Frozen Death -> lvl 75 De-Raged Waraxe

Got all specced & glyphed up and headed out to STV to have a play. I have a shitty 2H quest reward axe from around 10 levels ago but its something at least. The level 39 ally hunter who happened to be killing trolls was an ideal target...

Charge -> Rend -> Mortal Strike (New Mortal Strike Record!) Hunter dies. I think I could enjoy this :lol:

I need to get something to let me know when Overpower etc light up, TellMeWhen does that right?

It will do, I prefer NeedToKnow for warrior procs though as you have a little window you can use them in. So a nice bar going down can be handy for easily telling whether you can squeeze a MS in before you Overpower e.t.c..

Power Aura's classic would work too.

Lol you know what I'm like jonny - I change my mind so damn often I don't even know myself! It's not that I don't enjoy raiding, it's more to with not liking naxx very much. Also I don't really know what I want to do with him; do I want to tank or dps? Well his dps probably wouldn't be better than my dk. Tanking I'm not so confident with anymore as a warrior and the guild is full of tanks anyway. Plus who knows if I'll even continue playing??

Ah well. Thanks for the suggestion anywY bud :o

In a nutshell Squid, DKs are superior to Warriors in every single way. Massively superior DPS, Tanking, Utility and simplicity.

There I said it.

I've played both to naxx 10/25 level (much the same as you have) and the disparity between the classes is massive. I cant believe how ridiculous the gap in power is.

Dudes - advice needed! I think I want to tank. Shield slamming stuff is so terribly appealing to me and the royal crest of lordaeron is quite possibly the best looking item ingame ever, so do you have any tips? I haven't warriortanked properly since early TBC, having turned to pala tanking instead, so I'm a little out of practice!

What are the best openers/rotations etc for both single tanking and group tanking?

Cheers all.

There's not really a rotation for tanking as such, just hitting whatever's free. Keep Sunder Armour up by using Devastate, hit Revenge, Shockwave, Thunder Clap and Concussion Blow whenever they're off cooldown, hit Shield Slam all the time as you'll get Sword and Board procs to keep that flowing every couple of seconds, and destroy your little finger by hitting your Heroic Strike key every single fucking weapon swing. Shield Block, Shield Wall, Last Stand are your OH SHI-- buttons, Enraged Regeneration is still hilariously shit but you might as well throw it in, put Vigilance on your raid's highest threat dealing DPS, and use Heroic Throw to pull.

Group tanking is hitting Shockwave, Thunder Clap and Cleave every chance you get and praying to God/Allah/John Carpenter/Buddha that your group doesn't pull aggro.

Group tanking is hitting Shockwave, Thunder Clap and Cleave every chance you get and praying to God/Allah/John Carpenter/Buddha that your group doesn't pull aggro.

Can also tab target around to throw out revenges and shield slams while waiting for thunderclap and shockwave to come back on cooldown. It's not quite as easy as consecrate and holy shield :wub:

I'm really enjoying being a warrior tbh. I've rejigged my spec now to include deep wounds, which helps with aoe stuff now that both shockwave and thunderclap can crit. The onlything I struggled with before this was grabbing a groups intial aggro. Once I've got them, I don't lose them but getting that initial threat I struggle with. I don't know if it was just overzealous ulduar geared dps and an undergeared tank, but otherwise I'm really enjoying it.

* Execute now removes and grants immunity to Fear, Sap, and Incapacitate effects and generating extra rage for when taking damage for 10 seconds.

what the fuck

Disregard that, apparently it's just a tooltip clarification for Berserker Rage. Still, shows how utterly stupid the class team is when they see a tooltip as something that desperately needs a fix.

Didn't Ryan turn into a werewolf and then killed in the last one?

Also the plot description sounds the same as the original.

It is quite clear that warriors need some serious love. I'm looking forward to the class q&a, although after seeing the Mage one I'm jot holding out too much hope! As it stands warriors scale worse as tanks, can't aoe tank as well, can't dps as well an are just generally worse off than Druids, paladins and dks. Still fun to play though :)