What are you reading at the moment?

finished   The Crow Road , loved it and can see the inspiration for some of tge settings in use of weapons as well, but i might be imagining that.

On to the great gatsby at the moment because its supposedly  a classic  and its super short at about 150 pages, its not a subject or a time period I'm Imparticularly interested in but it's  wonderful  so far.

It is wonderful.

If you dig that, have a crack at The Beautiful and Damned, and a must read is Tender is the Night. Both quite a bit more melancholy than Gatsby (which itself is fairly melancholy!), but extremely rewarding.

Yeah, loved it, appreciate  the recommendations  too.

on to The Day of the Jackal, love the movie  and just getting into it,  I'm usually wary of authors who churn out lots of the same sort of book , ends up being a repetition  of the same thing( hello clive cussler) but its decent so far

On 07/09/2020 at 22:26, Silent Runner said:

Next up I have either the new Ann Cleeves or Richard Osmans book that is getting good reviews. 

I read both of these last week. The Ann Cleeves, The Darkest Evening, is excellent. It's the 9th or 10th in that series and they are a little formulaic but it's a winning formula. A murder in the countryside, Vera and her team investigate and everything gets neatly resolved 300 pages later.  

The Richard Osman, The Tuesday Murder Club, was good fun. A group of friends in a retirement home meet every Tuesday to discuss famous murders. But they soon find themselves involved a real murder case. This was very easy to read but maybe not as clever as it thought it was. And it did resort to some massive info-dumps to wrap things up. I will look out for future books from him in future though. 

Edited by Silent Runner
  • 2 weeks later...

Listening to the audiobook of Rage by Bob Woodward. It's fascinating. What's most notable is that Trump does have some very smart and competent advisors around him, it's whether he actually takes heed of them that's more alarming. 

For example, he had close advisors in January ringing all the alarms about covid. Politicians keep pretending we didn't know how bad it would be until March but that's obviously nonsense. 

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently reading Iain Banks' Complicity. The Wasp Factory is one of the best books I've read, so I thought I'd give his other stuff a go too. I'm enjoying it so far.

Has anyone else read Complicity? I read a comment about it which said "the gorilla with the syringe will haunt me forever", so I got to that bit and I really didn't understand what it was suggesting. It doesn't seem like it'll revisit that part to explain. 

What it said was:

Spoiler

A man, wearing a gorilla mask, used one of those Victorian syringes with the two finger holes to inject someone with a liquid that looked like clotted cream.

Edit: The book explained later on.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been hitting the Aubrey-Maturin series up some more.  Just finished book 18 (of 20) The Yellow Admiral and I'm not entirely sure what to say about it, obviously this deep in I'm going to finish the series and there were some wonderful scenes contained within, the bare knuckle boxing match was a fun set piece, and as ever I feel O'Brian just serves up wonderful prose which is entertaining even when not much happens.  Not much does happen here, I know the basic premise of the entire series is that Jack falls into a bucket of shit and comes out smelling of roses but there's a bit where it looks like his marriage is in jeopardy but the stakes are so low that it really doesn't serve for much other than to act as filler for a few dozen pages.  When his wife apologises to him for being annoyed that he had an affair I absolutely rolled my eyes, but that's the first time in 18 books so I guess I can't complain too much.

On 26/10/2020 at 17:36, the_debaser said:

Currently reading The Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck, I’ve been meaning to give it a crack for a while. 

And I’m glad I did as it is absolutely brilliant. 

One of my favourite books.  It’s heart wrenchingly brilliant.

Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami

I've been meaning to read one of his books for years, and I quite liked the premise of this one. It also held my attention for most of it. That's about as far as my praise goes though, I found it really basic in its insights and I found the conversations massively unrealistic, although I realise that could be at least partly down to cultural differences. Characters giving their life story to people they've just met is a regular occurrence. I also had major issues with some of the decisions made by the characters, although I won't spoil anything by being specific.

I have to say I found it funny how 95% of it is PG rated with polite conversations and gentle humour, and the other 5% is either really dark or very graphic sex.

I found a book during decluttering that I had no idea I owned. I don't normally read printed books as my eyes are crap these days, but it's only short, so I thought I'd just persevere.

So anyway, it's Fup by Jim Dodge, and I don't recall ever hearing of it or him, but it's brilliant. It's warm and funny and real; and just written with such confidence. A lovely surprise.