What are you reading at the moment?

ChrisN

Yup, it's the hardback with the first two TPBs in it. I'm definitely preferring the art from the first six issues at the moment too, yeah. It's a great read though, really tense and harrowing.

Haven't read the Survival Gide, but I got World War Z in the mail along with TWD. I'll start that after I've got through a couple of other things.

11547.jpg

Absolutely brilliant. Science fiction on the surface but more a study of how a society might work under anarchy - and how that society might interract with the rest of the universe. Really good stuff. Read it.

Oh and Cacky used go on about Le Guin a fair bit (Earthsea stuff I think) and the main character in this book is called Shevek. Shevek is the user id Cacky claims isn't him but had the same IP both in Japan and the UK.

I missed this! I'm a great lover of Earthsea, Changing Planes and of course the legendary Those Who Walk Away From Omelas.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm nearly finished Master & Commander by Patrick O'Brien.

It's flipping awesome. Has anyone read more of the series? There's a 10 book pack for a tenner on the Bookpeople and I was wondering if it was worth getting.

The series is incredible. I really can't enthuse enough without running out of superlatives. I'll go with the old edge favourite. Sublime. There are a number of fans on here, myself included, first 10 books for 10 quid is silly good. The only problem with the master and commander series is that there are only 21 books.

I've just finished Robert Fisk's The Great War For Civilization: The Conquest of The Middle East.

I've read the Independent for about 10 years and I've always admired and enjoyed Fisk's reportage, but this book really brings home the enormities of the crimes we are committing and have committed in the middle east. I finished it a few days ago, but I doubt I'll be able to stop thinking about for many weeks.

It's an enormous tome and has taken me months to get through, but if you have any interest in the history of the region it is well worth picking up.

I've just finished Robert Fisk's The Great War For Civilization: The Conquest of The Middle East.

I've read the Independent for about 10 years and I've always admired and enjoyed Fisk's reportage, but this book really brings home the enormities of the crimes we are committing and have committed in the middle east. I finished it a few days ago, but I doubt I'll be able to stop thinking about for many weeks.

It's an enormous tome and has taken me months to get through, but if you have any interest in the history of the region it is well worth picking up.

You have my respect - the book is, indeed, enormous. As with our crimes.

I haven't read it, but I have a huge amount of respect for Fisk. His writing is incredible and often brings me to tears.

As for you not being able to forget it - thank fuck. Think about it - there'd be something wrong with you if could forget about it.

The series is incredible. I really can't enthuse enough without running out of superlatives. I'll go with the old edge favourite. Sublime. There are a number of fans on here, myself included, first 10 books for 10 quid is silly good. The only problem with the master and commander series is that there are only 21 books.

Eeee! I was hoping someone would say something like that. Ordered!

You have my respect - the book is, indeed, enormous. As with our crimes.

I haven't read it, but I have a huge amount of respect for Fisk. His writing is incredible and often brings me to tears.

As for you not being able to forget it - thank fuck. Think about it - there'd be something wrong with you if could forget about it.

You're quite right, it would be inhuman to be able to forget it, but it has dominated my thoughts in a way few books ever have. I've thought of little else since I started reading it.

There were many times reading it where I was close to tears, the stories of individual suffering are just too terrible for words. The nineteen year old british/lebanese student crushed to death after missiles intended for Colonel Gaddafi hit her apartment, her parents running in to find her smashed lifeless body still in her bed. The ambulance carrying an entire family destroyed by American made Apache missiles fired from an Isreali helicopter gunship, no reason was given apart from the assertion that Hamas guerillas sometime used ambulances to move around. The incredible suffering of the Iraqis during the years between the wars caused almost entirely by the sanctions the UN imposed, and then the tacit admission that those sanctions were completely innefective in the run up to the 2003 invasion. The tens maybe hundreds of thousands of completely innocent civilians killed in airstrikes since 1991. The list goes on and on.

It's definitely worth picking up. Even if you don't read the whole thing, the chapters are broken down into specific episodes in the history of the middle east and those concerning Iraq and Palestine make for compelling but depressing reading.

Fontbook (4th edition)

€100 but worth every penny, so many beautiful typefaces to drool over :huh:

here are some sample pages:

http://www.fontshop.com/images/products/bo...SamplePages.pdf

fontbook_solo.gif

Ooooh. Thanks for bringing this to my attention.

orwell-1984.jpg

Yes, I have no originality.

It's good, though.

I love that cover.

I've just finished reading 'Ringworld' by Larry Niven - one of my shameful gaps has finally been plugged. PRetty brilliant stuff, and I had fun with the scale of the thing.

As my to-read pile is starting to dwindle, I'm now taking my time with a collection of Akutagawa Ryunosuke shorts. One story a day, nice and easy.

0552771309.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V40842484_.jpg

It’s not very good. I liked the rest of his books (Inconceivable and the Friends Reunited one are rubbish, mind) but this did nothing for me.

014018435X.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1127903642_.jpg

I’m getting through this very slowly and I really haven’t got a clue what it means. I’ll stick with it.

057121746X.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1120564746_.jpg

I loved The Butcher Boy and Breakfast on Pluto so I've hgh hopes for this.

It's sad but entirely unsurprising that the strange forum fetish for posting images for no reason has even infected a thread that's specifically about the written word.

Anyway, I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife. Enjoying it so far, but only about 50 pages in. The bit written by a six year old was great fun.

It's sad but entirely unsurprising that the strange forum fetish for posting images for no reason has even infected a thread that's specifically about the written word.

Anyway, I'm reading The Time Traveller's Wife. Enjoying it so far, but only about 50 pages in. The bit written by a six year old was great fun.

A decent book cover is part of the experience.

I'm sure there's some "Judging a book by its cover" joke to be made, but I can't find it.

What, part of the experience of finding out what books other people on a forum are reading? Poppycock!

Well I don't know about you, but but when I want to envision Jpickford's gnarled hands flicking through the crinkled pages of a worn-out sci-fi, the picture can only be complete once I've seen which cover he's using. It just wouldn't be the same if it I'd mistake in for the original 1978 penguin edition :D