What are you reading at the moment?

ChrisN

Just don't real Equal Rites (the third book in the series). Even TP thinks it's pretty shit.
I wasn't too impressed with that the first time I read it, but I've revisited it since reading the other Witches books, and enjoyed it more. The Witches are brilliant - surely the most underrated group of characters in the Discworld books (Lords and Ladies is one of my favourite of the entire series). Vimes and the Watch are also excellent, of course, but people always seem to forget how good the Witches books can get.
He made a bloody brilliant recovery with MORT though - still my fave one.
That's the one I started with, and it's the one I usually recommend people read first (Guards! Guards! is another great "starter" book).

Just finished 'On Blue's Waters' by Gene Wolfe and started 'In Green's Jungles'.

I implore anyone slightly interested in intelligent sci-fi to pick these up.

Review with very minor spoilers.

Or a telling snippet of another:

But in On Blue’s Waters, Wolfe adopts a far more complicated literary model. The narrator begins his story while he is himself only half way through his adventures. Far from home, a prisoner king in a foreign land, he still has much to do to survive, to bring justice and good governance to his people, to defeat their enemies, and to escape and, maybe, find his way back to his long lost home and family. Not only do his accounts of his recent exploits interrupt his attempt to tell the first part of the story, that concerning Horn’s departure from Lizard island and his long journey to Pajarocu, but his musings and comments on what he has written form yet a third strand to the novel. These comments include recollections of parts of the story not yet told, but which will presumably be recounted in the remaining two volumes, In Green’s Jungles and Return to the Whorl. The tone of the commentary, occasionally angry, is primarily wistful and nostalgic, and lends an extraordinarily elegiac air to the whole book. Most of all, the narrator, or that part of him which is still Horn, longs for the two women whom he has abandoned: his wife and childhood sweetheart Nettle, and the beautiful one-armed siren Seawrack.

Just finished The Lies of Locke Lamora. Fantastic stuff. Can't wait for the second book in July. Started Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman today, seems ok so far. Bought Smoke and Mirrors by him at the same time (only £2.99 - it'd be rude not to at that price) so I might delve into a couple of those shorts tonight.

• 2 weeks later...

Re-reading The Music of Chance by Paul Auster. Very entertaining and easy to read.

Funny, I've just read the first half of the excellent New York Trilogy.

newyorktrilogy_1.jpg

I'd never heard of Auster until I discovered Metal Gear Solid 2 was originally going to namecheck the entire cast of City Of Glass, the first part of the Trilogy, so I found a copy of this and started reading. It's brilliant, in a very strange way- it's detective fiction, but backwards, and inside-out. Nice and short, easy to get through, and genuinely thought-provoking despite never really being about anything- much like MGS2, then.

I suggest hardcore Metal Gear fans hunt down this book, it's helping put Sons Of Liberty into a new light for me. I'm going to hunt down the rest of this man's work.

It's brilliant, in a very strange way- it's detective fiction, but backwards, and inside-out. Nice and short, easy to get through, and genuinely thought-provoking despite never really being about anything- much like MGS2, then.

Yep, you've hit the nail on the head there. I've read it a couple of times. A post-modern masterpiece.

Mr. King's Cell (hmm, not great) and The Drawing Of The Three (great!).

Cell was awful, almost like it was written by someone that had read and loved the Stand, but completely missed the point of what made it a fantastic book.

I'm also on The Drawing of The Three at the moment; it's my first time through the Dark Tower series, and TBH, I'm not loving it. Unlike something such as The Stand, I'm not finding it a page turner, and this morning on the way in to work I found myself idly looking out of the window, more than I did reading about Odetta and her great vagina.

I'm finding the whole journey very disjointed, it feels like it's been completely wrote on the fly with no preparation for the overall story arc.

I've stupidly bought most of the series now, so I'm now reluctant to give up. I just hope that the books are going to find some true direction as they carry on.

No Beast so Fierce – Edward Bunker

About half way through and loving it. I’m trying to draw it out because it’s the last Edward Bunker book I have to read. It’s about a fella getting out of prison trying to go straight but eventually getting drawn back into the underworld.

I found out the other day that Edward Bunker co-wrote the screenplay for one of my favourite films: Runaway Train. He’s a good guy.

Skin Tight – Carl Hiassen

Fairly standard CH plot; rogue plastic surgeons; deranged hitmen; crooked journalists; sleazy politicians and a good guy living on his own in the Florida wilderness trying to stay out of trouble. CHs books are fairly formulaic but they’re always a cracking read.

Just finished Legends of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J Anderson.

Decent enough sort of book really that fills in some of the back story to the dune universe but it's just not a patch on the original Herbert writing style, which is what the author was intending anyway since he said himself he couldn't hope to match it. The reasoning behind the name "Fremen" made me groan though.

Just the next book in the series to read then I can finally crack on with the finale to the dune series; Hunters of Dune.

Funny, I've just read the first half of the excellent New York Trilogy.

newyorktrilogy_1.jpg

I'd never heard of Auster until I discovered Metal Gear Solid 2 was originally going to namecheck the entire cast of City Of Glass, the first part of the Trilogy, so I found a copy of this and started reading. It's brilliant, in a very strange way- it's detective fiction, but backwards, and inside-out. Nice and short, easy to get through, and genuinely thought-provoking despite never really being about anything- much like MGS2, then.

I suggest hardcore Metal Gear fans hunt down this book, it's helping put Sons Of Liberty into a new light for me. I'm going to hunt down the rest of this man's work.

0571229077.02._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Read The Music of Chance. Also the film is good too. Different to the New York Trilogy but also very similar - which sounds like nonsense but makes sense.

I'm also on The Drawing of The Three at the moment; it's my first time through the Dark Tower series, and TBH, I'm not loving it. Unlike something such as The Stand, I'm not finding it a page turner, and this morning on the way in to work I found myself idly looking out of the window, more than I did reading about Odetta and her great vagina.

I'm finding the whole journey very disjointed, it feels like it's been completely wrote on the fly with no preparation for the overall story arc.

I've stupidly bought most of the series now, so I'm now reluctant to give up. I just hope that the books are going to find some true direction as they carry on.

I'd agree with that, though I don't mind it. I bought the first book brand new, as well as being revised, it also had a canny foreword which pretty much explained that the project had slowly come together. Since that was what I was expecting, I don't see it as a problem.

I couldn't find The Wastelands at the bookshop yesterday, so it's on hold anyway until someone sells them a copy.

Read The Music of Chance. Also the film is good too. Different to the New York Trilogy but also very similar - which sounds like nonsense but makes sense.

I was just going to ask where to go next! I'll try to squeeze it in between Okami and FFXII. One of when I'm on the bog or under the deask at work then...

Finally got a hold of The Master and Margarita. 200 pages in and really enjoying it.

It's awesome, isn't it? A Belarussian friend of mine gave me his copy from when he was studying English, so it's a translation of course. It's got his notes scribbled all the way through it though... :blink:

I'm currently reading that World War Z after hearing so much about it on here. It is AM.A.ZING!