IGNORED

What are you reading at the moment?

ChrisN

actually, im going away on holidays soon and could use some suggestions. the last books i read were donna tartt's first novel, the secret history and a million little pieces by james frey which i thoroughly enjoyed.

any ideas for my holiday purchases?

:(

I'm reading the Second Harry Potter book (Chamber of Secrets) and it's rather spiff light reading. The Philosopher's Stone was equally good.

Finished 'the end of mister Y' last night. Nice read.

Interesting podcast with S. Thomas here (turn down volume before clicking :()

I'm currently catching up on Battlestar Galactica (never watched it before) and am now in full Scifi-mode.

Therefore, I started

forevercover.jpg

this morning. I read it a few years ago, really enjoyed then.

Still good (so far).

Finished 'the end of mister Y' last night. Nice read.

Interesting podcast with S. Thomas here (turn down volume before clicking :()

I'm currently catching up on Battlestar Galactica (never watched it before) and am now in full Scifi-mode.

Therefore, I started

forevercover.jpg

this morning. I read it a few years ago, really enjoyed then.

Still good (so far).

Yeah I've got into the SF Masterworks series recently. A little bit hit and miss, but some great books in there. I recommend "I am Legend", "The Stars my Destination" and "Ringworld".

Are you enjoying it? I've had it sitting on my shelf for a long, long time, but... it's so damn big! One day...

Anyway, I'm a couple chapters into this:

covr-pyong.jpg

.::: Three Kingdoms is very good, though it is rather compressed and can do away with entire battles in a sentence. That said it is still very engrossing, once you've accustomed to the names it's actually kind of exciting to read what everyone's up to as no-one's exactly 'clean'. I find myself shifting allegiance of my favourite side quite often.

But yes it's huge.

That's why I'm now reading the snack-sized Roadside Picnic in between. Which I'd never want to end. It's also written in high gear, making it quite accessible to just about anyone.

After the film Stalker and this, I think I might be playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. very shortly. The setting is just too good.

.::: Three Kingdoms is very good, though it is rather compressed and can do away with entire battles in a sentence. That said it is still very engrossing, once you've accustomed to the names it's actually kind of exciting to read what everyone's up to as no-one's exactly 'clean'. I find myself shifting allegiance of my favourite side quite often.

But yes it's huge.

That's why I'm now reading the snack-sized Roadside Picnic in between. Which I'd never want to end. It's also written in high gear, making it quite accessible to just about anyone.

After the film Stalker and this, I think I might be playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. very shortly. The setting is just too good.

Compressed? Ha, I'd never have guessed from looking at it! I might have to follow your example and read some shorter books at the same time, otherwise I'll never do it. In fact, I'm going to read the first chapter RIGHT NOW. You have inspired me ;)

Um, while we're talking about intelligent, (but fun to read), Sci-Fi (oo I feel dirty), can I recommend Hyperion and the follow up Endymion by Dan Simmons. They blew my mind with their excellence when I read them.

Never truer words written.

Just one point. No need to feel dirty about blowing your mind.

Hyperion and The Fall Of Hyperion are amazing.

Yup.

Endymion and The Rise Of Endymion are rubbish and should be avoided.

What the! They are quite different, but I still don't understand how you can like one and not the other. You're only getting half the story with Hyperion.

I bought the new Ian Rankin after work today. It looks like it's going to be the last Rebus book. Buying it was my 'Harry Potter Book 7' moment except without the crowds and the media build up. I don't think I'll start it until Saturday and do it all in one go. The Rebus books are pretty much my favorite series.

Hyperion and The Fall Of Hyperion are amazing.

Endymion and The Rise Of Endymion are rubbish and should be avoided.

I don't agree. You really need to read all 4 to understand the complete picture, the role of the Shrike etc.

I don't think Dan Simmons is capable of writing rubbish. although some of his stuff is lighter to read than these.

Currently re-reading "A house in the country" by Jose Donoso, sort of Gormenghast meets Lord of the Flies, it tells of what happens when 33 cousins aged between 6 and 16 years are left behind in the house in question when the adults go off for a picnic. Fantasy in many ways, but not branded as such, as with Pynchon.

You really need to read all 4 to understand the complete picture, the role of the Shrike etc.

Exactly.

I don't think Dan Simmons is capable of writing rubbish. although some of his stuff is lighter to read than these.

I'm halfway through Ilium but got distracted - I was enjoying it though. It's been a while now, so I think I'm going to have to start from the beginning again.

Edit: Actually, it was after recently watching 300 for the first time that I remembered I hadn't finished Ilium.

I bought this hugely satisfying volume a couple of months ago and I've just started reading Hamlet. It's well skill, obviously. It's also showing me how much attention I must have paid at school because reading it now seems like the first time and I know for certain we did it during our GCSEs.

No, that's just the way it is with Hamlet. I've studied and taught it from A Level to Phd and it always feels new. Although it goes against my generally fashionably postmodern sensibilities to say that a text is universal, Hamlet does seem to be. If you enjoy the revenge tragedy aspects of Hamlet, track down some Webster or Middleton. More entertainingly stagey than Shakespeare but fantastic plays, with less of the emo handwringing!

anyone on here read The End of Mr Y by Scarlett Thomas? I've heard good things about it?

.::: I loved it. (Save for the 'let's do a movie' bits that creep in at the end.) Sadly I don't like her other writings half as much. PopCo was a dud to me.

Cheers, I'll have a look on Amazon and add them to my already mammoth wish list. I take it you mean Hamlet always seems fresh when you read it? My problem, if you can call it that, is that I've got absolutely no memory of it at all. I can take a wild guess that it probably won't end well, but apart from that..

The Scarlett Thomas book is well plotted and enjoyable, but unfortunately her prose just isn't quite up to the ideas she has. I would definitely recommend it but be prepared for some very clunky sections. Don't know if it's been mentioned already, but James Morrow's The Last Witchfinder is well worth a read. Finished it a little while back and would heartily recommend it to anyone who enjoys historical novels, as well as those who like postmodern takes on history. The book is narrated by Isaac Newton's Principia Mathematica, and combines consummate research with imaginative flair.

Just finished The God Delusion. It was super awesome. I mean, it was all over the place but it had such spirit and style and conviction that I came away wanting to give Dawkins a swift buggering by way of a thank-you.

I've just started reading that. Good so far. Although, I wager I shall not finish the book harbouring thoughts of bending Dawkins over a table, and administering man love.