IGNORED

Forza Motorsport 2

merge

I don't think they need to go into as much detail with the engine noises that you're going to be able to tell if someone's playing with their curtains open or not. I just want cars that don't sound like vacuum cleaners.

Trouble is that it'd cost more to rent cars and airfields than you'd get back from your new audio library. I still reckon low-def is a good workaround. I doubt many have got bass-heavy crappy speakers at home, but they honestly improve engine sounds; a lot.

No they dont, crap bass heavy speakers make noise not sound. When you hit the low frequencys you feel the sound rather than hear it. Most of these 'Bass Heavy' speakers make noise no lower than 40-60hz and then drown out all the trebble. They tend to also rumble on so you get a muddy mess. It sounds loud but nothing like the sound of a screaming engine.

Best enigine noise is the Ferrari in GPL, in the consloe world Forza engine notes are far better then GT but none have really come close to the best pc sound. Some of the engines in TDU are pretty good - th Ford GT is pretty awesome and really does rumble and shake the room when i have it all up loud.

Rock, Studio, Auditorium or Small Room? :angry:

You're talking about quality gear designed for bass, rather than the basic cab speakers with bass control I'm on about. At no point would I claim it's a hi-fi sound, just an improvement on the more trebly vacuum whine.

Clarity isn't entirely realistic, you've got helmets and earplugs to consider. Non-soundproofed cockpits as well. Race cars ARE harsh.

If we are going as realistic as you want the only noise you really hear in the cockpit is transmission and induction whine.

Will forza 2 come with a helmet and earplugs ? The noise we want to hear is the roar of an engine, you just dont get that kinda noise inside a race car. Even a CLS sounds totally different inside than out as you get induction and transmission noise over most of the straight 6 symphony. Im sure people want to hear the engine not the muffled sound and constant pit chatter you get in real race cars :)

No Shimmy, thats not whats meant by EQ settings. What i mean is that the game allows you to have adjustable EQ depending on your speakers, their placement and type of room.

(I think the above bit was a joke)

Certain speakers have difference frequency responses and position set ups - a fair way to get a good balance is to record a core set of sounds at the souce (which they've done) but then have an EQ thats been tested on various speaker set up's to test the best responses, then have an EQ or sound set up relevant to that. Either have presets or give the player a 10 band EQ with a 'Q' setting for extra precision.

It could be that your speakers are very close to sound absorbing walls so you may want to compensate for that. My monitors are actually in the middle of the room, so in my case i'd get more natural reverberation as theres more room for the sound to move. EQ's could solve the problem of certain frequencies being more or less prominent then others.

Yeah....but then thats because the tracks are more scenic - i don't think the car models look any better.

Its a fact that most racetracks are shite in as far as their geographical settings - as i said earlier, the problem is people don't like race tracks near their homes.

And its a fair point.

Add to that their technical nature too - whereas rally tracks are normally less planned.

Its can be a case of, here's a digger - lets go mincing through some woods.

But yeah, most rally tracks are much more fun.

Well i'm not sure...i've only seen race tracks but the orignal featured some fairly nice tracks - through countrysides and the like.

Theres something like 45 odd tracks - but i believe this takes into account the variations of the existing race tracks.

The official blurb is theres 12 environments so assuming a race track is an environment, its actually quite a small number.

Unless they mean countries - which will make a huge difference.

Is it wrong to want to drive your own car in a game? This might just make me buy a 360.

yep :P , although in forza 1 they had the saab 93 viggen which is loads better then just the aero, nice to see the 2002 edition instead of the current 2007

1178324332.jpg

. It also shows that you can now put letters on your car, which I didn't know about. Saves having to make them yourself out of random shapes!

I can't wait to get started on some car designs, I've got a feeling I'm going to spend more time on that than actually racing the things.

It could be that your speakers are very close to sound absorbing walls so you may want to compensate for that. My monitors are actually in the middle of the room, so in my case i'd get more natural reverberation as theres more room for the sound to move. EQ's could solve the problem of certain frequencies being more or less prominent then others.

Yeah, that's true, but unless your games room is in an anechoic chamber, you are always going to have some effect on the audio from the room. It would be impossible to provide enough EQ settings to cover everyone, and then they would just get grumbling from the people not covered. Anyone that really cares about the audio enough to spend time changing EQs in a racing game should have a reasonable enough set-up to tweak anyway surely?

Is it wrong to want to drive your own car in a game? This might just make me buy a 360.

Not even remotely wrong :P I'm just a little bit annoyed they don't have a classic mini in it. Would have loved to beat some "better" cars in a classic Cooper. Then mod it to fuck :P Suppose the new one will have to do.

Not even remotely wrong :P I'm just a little bit annoyed they don't have a classic mini in it. Would have loved to beat some "better" cars in a classic Cooper. Then mod it to fuck :P Suppose the new one will have to do.

Me too.

I want more classics, and more 'run of the mill cars'. I'd even like a Fiat Panda, to be able to drive my own car!

But I'm guessing there'll be plenty of downloadable car packs at expensive prices. Nothing ever seems to be given away on Live any more....