Forza Motorsport 2

merge

What is it about the physics which appeal to so many? I still have negative feelings towards Forza in most areas, but would like to hear from those who see it with different eyes. Accessible handling? Good for gamers who don't have the time/inclination to commit to a sim? The slidey, forgiving nature of the cars is just pure fun?

It just seems perfect, exactly how I'd imagine a car to react at these speeds. It's more of a simulation than any other game I've played.

Note: I'm playing with manual gears and all the assists off, I'd recommend everyone else does the same. It's fantastic.

I don't do Manual gears - but since they've sorted that controller in the demo - you just have to be gentle and smooth.

I've just upgrade that Wings west Civic and its lovely.

Shame about the lack of replays though.

So, I took this game for a spin today.

It's fun. Good fun. Has a good feeling in terms of control and speed about it too, but it lacks a certain spark in my opinion. Hence is not the prestige racing game that I'm looking for, something that will also determine which console (X360 or PS3) will be mine one day. Perhaps GT5 (man, talking about distant future) will be it, or (more likely I think) PGR4.

Still though, I had good fun with 'my' MR-S and a lot of GT cars. The Ferrari 330 P4 was simply awesome to drive on Suzuka, as well as a tuned Supra on Nissan Speedway. Guess I'll be playing this a lot at the Top Gear Magazine office when I have to review other racing games for them. Untill PGR4 that is :o

Just bought a Porsche 959 fully tuned from the auctions. 9.7 speed and 10 acceleration, it's insane and it's a good laugh you think as you effortlessly motor away from the other seven at the grid, until you want to take a corner with it.

Now I don't know a thing about cars other than those little descriptions you get for them in the Gran Turismo games (a nice addition btw, and missed here), what can I do to help keep this thing on the road? He's bought literally everything for it, but I don't really know what I should be doing here. I messed about with roll-bar settings in the tuning menu, but that obviously wasn't the answer. Basics of tuning please, what everyone should know, if someone can be bothered.

Just bought a Porsche 959 fully tuned from the auctions. 9.7 speed and 10 acceleration, it's insane and it's a good laugh you think as you effortlessly motor away from the other seven at the grid, until you want to take a corner with it.

Now I don't know a thing about cars other than those little descriptions you get for them in the Gran Turismo games (a nice addition btw, and missed here), what can I do to help keep this thing on the road? He's bought literally everything for it, but I don't really know what I should be doing here. I messed about with roll-bar settings in the tuning menu, but that obviously wasn't the answer. Basics of tuning please, what everyone should know, if someone can be bothered.

Mess with the camber and toe settings.

If anyone should find an example of unassisted driving on YouTube or somewhere, post it up. I had a little look just now and all the cars were on-rails. I hope the lack of in-car won't convince Polyphony not to bother with it in GT5, given Forza 2's apparent popularity.

Still here ? Do you have the game ?

On rails - as a obvious GT fan F2 is far to sim like for you, the physics have an effect on the handeling of the cars unlike in GT. Another thing you get in F2 and not in GT is tha ability to place the car on the track with power and using the weight of the car. If we are comapring to PC games then no, its no where near as anal. I used to love the old pc sims so its not a put down on them but i simply dont have the time/equipment and permission from the wife to play pc car sims anymore. What Forza 2 is tho is the best console-sim racing game there has ever been, and buy a country mile.

But back to the game, i had a race earlier that for some reason my engine was pouring smoke, had a real battle for 2 laps to stay ahead of the car behind me and just did it :o Reviewing the replay and telemetry data and i shifted from 4th to 2nd causing the problem, the car was 100bhp down after that !! :o :o

Been having a lot of fun with this game today - slick presentation, great soundtrack (It could have been like Forza 1's soundtrack - dogshit awful American rawk bollocks), incredible handling, lovely visuals - really was worth the wait. I had a bit of fun with the car creation design stuff too - a bit fiddly (I can tell it's been programmer-designed rather than artist-designed), but has a lot of potential. One thing I couldn't understand was why I couldn't move my design set from one car to another. I did my design, saved a set, got into a car with no design and couldn't paste the design from the other car onto it. Strangeness. Still, here's my hour's work -

09Jun.jpg

More to come soon enough... :o

They're nothing like that if you turn everything off though. I've been learning to drive all my cars without them and its a far more engrossing game if you take the time.

I just figured - well, you get more credits, lets play the game as if the other options don't exist.

I'm struggling with the RWD cars mind.

I can't believe anyone plays with the assists on. ABS I might give you, but the other two just suck the life right out of the game.

Important tip: TURN THEM OFF!

Having now played online i think i'm really in love.

This pisses over GT2/3 in all but amount of tracks (DLC i hope!).

Sadly according to the SE manual they actually had to restrict the physics in this too - the original phsy engine had cars flipping over but usual manufacturers crap applied.

But nevertheless the addition of proper car damage, some lovely graphics at times, 60fps, the ability to paint and the usual Live additional make this nigh on the best console sim racer out there.

At least until DiRT, the new ToCA and maybe Flatout 3 (i personally prefer the sim aspect - its far more exciting when you know you can wipe or be wiped).

I'm not even sure the mighty PGR can beat this. (IMO).

Having now played online i think i'm really in love.

This pisses over GT2/3 in all but amount of tracks (DLC i hope!).

Sadly according to the SE manual they actually had to restrict the physics in this too - the original phsy engine had cars flipping over but usual manufacturers crap applied.

But nevertheless the addition of proper car damage, some lovely graphics at times, 60fps, the ability to paint and the usual Live additional make this nigh on the best console sim racer out there.

I certainly am in love, that must have been around 5 hours long. Now completely wrecked, but one thing is for sure , Forza has the ability to be a system seller. Not one doubt in my mind, of course there are a few niggles but you can easily overlook them.

Is there no way to clear one of the official paint jobs already applied to the sponsored cars? I just want to start a design from a blank canvas so to speak, I tried just overlaying the car with giant white squares to cover everything up but there are still quite a few gaps and I don't seem to be able to get rid of the black bonnet on this car I'm trying to customise. What am I doing wrong?

Whereas I love sims. Going from GPL and GP500 through GTL to Live for Speed, with a little rFactor and netKar PRO. The Papyrus Indy games were great at the time as well. As for Turismo: I haven't truly enjoyed it since the second one, and still believe the original is the best console racer to this day, pound-for-pound.

You are me. Although I do like GT4 for its rally events as the physics are utterly fantastic.

The problem is that no-one's talking about Forza on the hardcore sim forums, while places like this are uniformly blinded by lust. I don't understand why, so I wouldn't mind a look at F2 in its best light. One big disappointment is that it's not point-to-point, rather circuits, so I prefer the full fat alternatives. I felt Need for Speed and Porsche 2000 were excellent, ToCA 2 the same. GP2 and Superbike 2001, Road Rash: Jailbreak even. Twisted Metal: World Tour. It's purely because Forza is a jack-of-all.

Xbox Forza was largely ignored too. It's not a hardcore racer, run-of-the-mill when compared to other (PC?) racers and it tries to be something more but nearly all the physics are there but out-of-reach (e.g. take tire pressures/temperatures in GTR for example) and hidden away (just like the first). Using the wheel is just soul destroying as the lack of connection is exaggerated by using the wheel; I'm not feeling that "I'm just about to lose control here" racing on the edge stuff that other games (even the TOCA:RD series) have. Bada Bing made a similar comment on NTSC-uk that I agreed with but then had the message deleted :(

The lust will die off and then nobody will be playing it in a few months, just like the original Xbox version. I had some interesting times with the Xbox version and some of its AI, I don't need to continue playing this just to relive the same experience. That's what I still have the original for.

The problem is that no-one's talking about Forza on the hardcore sim forums, while places like this are uniformly blinded by lust. I don't understand why

That's coz hardcore sims don't usually appear on consoles. All those people will be blinkered towards PCs and probably don't own anything else, while I'd say most people here like games no matter what format they're on and have more than one system.

Using the wheel is just soul destroying as the lack of connection is exaggerated by using the wheel; I'm not feeling that "I'm just about to lose control here" racing on the edge stuff that other games (even the TOCA:RD series) have

Drive faster! :(

Whereas I love sims. Going from GPL and GP500 through GTL to Live for Speed, with a little rFactor and netKar PRO. The Papyrus Indy games were great at the time as well. As for Turismo: I haven't truly enjoyed it since the second one, and still believe the original is the best console racer to this day, pound-for-pound.

The problem is that no-one's talking about Forza on the hardcore sim forums, while places like this are uniformly blinded by lust. I don't understand why, so I wouldn't mind a look at F2 in its best light. One big disappointment is that it's not point-to-point, rather circuits, so I prefer the full fat alternatives. I felt Need for Speed and Porsche 2000 were excellent, ToCA 2 the same. GP2 and Superbike 2001, Road Rash: Jailbreak even. Twisted Metal: World Tour. It's purely because Forza is a jack-of-all.

How can you stick GT into your love of sims but get so annoyed about this ? GT is less sim like than Forza by miles (RWD FTO anyone ?) The handling model was never sim like but just good fun, It feels awful these days. F2 is not a sim but it is as sim like as consoles could get while still being playable by the masses.

The lust is because it is a great game, easily the best console 'sim like' racing game. You can pick it up and be pretty rubbish but given a few laps you can get good pretty quickly. I used to play GPL online against people who put about 30 hours a week into 1 track and even then could never say they truly mastered the track. Can you imagine trying to release a game like that on any console ??

Comparing it to PC sims is about the most pointless thing you can do with any console racing game, totally different markets and people who are into sims will obv find forza very lite. People who want to have fun on a console racing game but not have the time or inclination to play full blown sims on a PC will find F2 is the best of the bunch.

That's literally amazing.

Liking this game alot. I hate cars, but it's almost more like a J-RPG, with it's experience points and levelling up.

Quite so.

In order to progress in Career mode you have to take decisions, a bit like when you come to a new shop in Final Fantasy and see a new range of kick ass gear.

Do you drive the car you have presently which is inferior to the rest of the field and win through skill?

Or farm credits by going back to earlier races and use them to upgrade or buy a new car?

Or sell one of your other cars not knowing if that might be costly in future?

Good to see the leader boards etc back available again last night after the Friday fiasco.

I can't believe anyone plays with the assists on. ABS I might give you, but the other two just suck the life right out of the game.

Important tip: TURN THEM OFF!

I've been playing at the 'intermediate' setting, mainly because it's years since I've played a racing game and I wanted to get the feel for it first. It's nicely balanced that way - it's allowed me to get the hang of it in the Proving Ground races so now I can start turning them off and really try to get better. Didn't stop me having a nightmare with the Mazda at first either.

Few more days and I might start getting crushed online, at the moment I think I'd just crash into everybody and piss them off.

In the interest of balance, the sound is still shite on this :( 8) It does seem some sound better than others but as a rule the engine sounds are crap, i had the amp at 15 yesterday (at 15 in a film the house is shaking and i have neighbours complaining :( ) and the engines started to sound ok - esp my Lancia Delta thats been fully upgraded.