IGNORED

Homebrew on xbox 360

mr_rmg

Xbox-Scene.com post this article today regarding some pictures (LINK)

Some ppl were screaming fake - we can assure you they are real - some way to go yet in various areas. But yes you can see a larger HDD and Avalaunch in the screenshots - no photoshop going on there

Like I said it's easy to do yourself -

It's easy enough to make the first two yourself by just viewing a picture in Media Center and pressing the controller button.

They wouldn't be fake, as in Photoshopped, but they're also not actually running anything.

Besides which if this were true they'd make videos of it seeing as they're clearly using a capture card to get the images in the first place.

I realised that after I posted.

EDIT:

Apparently it may just be Xbox homebrew running through the 360's emulator.

If so, could this still tap the 360's power for better emulation, or decoding high def video files?

They didnt say it was real just the the pictures arent photoshopped which doesnt mean homebrew is possible

What else does it mean then?

These aren't fakes. But they aren't real either?

I think what you're gonna get is exactly what it says on the tin. Bigger hard drives and Xbox 1 homebrew. If you think about it, it was the most obvious avenue to go down due to the Xbox 1 emulator being so shoddy and unfinished. It's so complex that it was inevitably going to be full of security holes and many sceners know the Xbox hardware inside-out.

Could they not just be images played through mce or the picture viewer, and the guide button pressed?

for gawds sake there could be a million ways to fake the pictures, that's not the point. the point is that a respected news site has posted them and an arguably even more reliable source has stated that they are real and that real progress is being made with some form of homebrew activity on the 360.

Some ppl were screaming fake - we can assure you they are real - some way to go yet in various areas. But yes you can see a larger HDD and Avalaunch in the screenshots - no photoshop going on there

I take that to mean more than "they werent done with photoshop, actually it was paintshop pro."

they have suspended the thread over on XS due to nobbery but the last post was a pretty decent summary so here ya go :(

Sick of all the repetition, I decided to throw together a thorough summary of the entirety of this thread. There is about 59 pages worth of bullshit and one page worth of facts. So pull up a chair, grab some pop.gif , and sit back and enjoy the show:

Dumbass Things

1. It's the 360 Skin for XBMC!!!! <- I don't think this requires an explaination. rolleyes.gif

2. Its photoshopped, look I can make the dashboard pic. <- Well of course you can but try doing that system tab so perfectly, I once again reiterate this point.

3. How can a source be both annonymous and trusted? <- Trusted to the mods, but doesnt want to be public and get anally raped by Microsoft Corporation

4. Isn't there a turn off controller button in the guide? <- Check for yourself, there isn't one for a wired controller.

5. How can he possibly have taken a screenshot of the 360 screen? <- OMFG, havent you heard of a capture card.

6. But they dont make 500 GB Sata HDs! <- Who said it had to be SATA?!?!?

7. Why havent they shown a useful menu rather than the shutdown <- Those with 360s know the full Xbox Guide capabilites are not available in during Xbox 1 emulation.

8. "the font is wrong" <- What the hell is this person talking about...

9. I'm sure there are several more, but I don't have time to look them all up...

The Theorys

1. Ultimately, the only theory gathered by these mounds of posts on the actual functionality of the exploit was simple. The hack was accomplished by cracking the Xbox 1 emulator used by the 360 for backwards compatability to make it launch none other than the dashboard Avalaunch. It is probably a software-based exploit rather than hardware, and is obiously still in a state which one would consider alpha, but basically getting Avalaunch to launch means any of the old Xbox homebrew is fair game.

2. An interesting theory I read about on why we have so little information is that the Scene is waiting for a big Fourth of July release to celebrate the Independece of the Xbox 360. So, in essence, this thread remains unlocked and we remain in the dark so all the big scene members and devs can look back at it and laugh.

3. That this is somehow related to Devil360 and it turns out Devil's "small security hole" was real and they just go unsigned code booting and wanted to taunt the world. Not something I personally believe, but hey...

The Facts

1. The news was from a trusted source, one who has XanTium's, and the rest of Xbox-Scene's trust.

2. Team Xecuter supported the legitimacy of the hack by posting the following on their site:

QUOTE(Team-Xecuter)

Xbox-Scene.com post this article today regarding some pictures (LINK)

3. Team Avalaunch also supported the hack, by posting this on their webpage:

QUOTE(Team Avalaunch)

We at Team Avalaunch would just like to take a moment to congratulate the individual(s?) who were able to take the screenshots that many of us have now seen over on X/S. We are proud of the voracity that xbox modders have shown, and even prouder that they would choose Avalaunch as a test bed. We look forward to the future and the many new applications that will follow.

4. Maxconsole also supported the existance of the hack, by posting the following on their blog:

QUOTE(Maxconsole)

Team Xecuter Confirm Validity Of 360 Larger Hard Drive & Avalaunch On 360 Pics!

Pfffft, as if us giving you our word that the pictures of an Xbox 360 recognizing larger hard drives and running Xbox 1 homebrew wasn't enough, the world renowned Xbox/360 hackers (not really 360 yet we know) over at Team Xecuter have gone and asssured the whole scene that the pics are real and there is absolutely no photoshopping trickery going on. So you have our word, you have Team Xecuter's word - now do you believe ? We sure hope so!

Summary

1. If I had to sum EVERYTHING up, I would say that this is in fact real, and will have a HUGE impact on the scene. We will be able to continue from our previous progress with the Xbox 1, but getting to utilize a much more impressive array of resources and CPU power at our disposal. And for the pirates out there, this probably wont lead to the effective game loading we so enjoy on the Xbox 1, but you have the DVD Firmware hack for that one biggrin.gif .

And just to entertain the other possiblity of it being fake I will say one thing. Let us all hope it isnt, because not only will we have lost a hack of amazing potential, but the credibility of the entire Xbox Scene may take a blow from which it cannot recover.

That's it, now you all have a good night laugh.gif .

Roll on Independence Day 360 :ph34r:

Excellent news; even if it's just for XBMC

Oh yes, finally I can upgrade to the 360 and keep my lovely XBMC on it too. ;)

What with an "official" xbox dev kit? I don't think so

Yes, the homebrew stuff is written using the official XBox SDK that was pirated.

It's not hard to get a hold of

There's another thing to add to that - the debug XBox that forms part of the devkit is actually just an xbox with a different bios (it may have more mem, not sure). You can stick this bios on a chipped xbox and then in conjunction with the pirated software you've got a full devkit.

I'm pretty sure that initially at least this was the case. At least that's what I remember from the Hacking the Xbox book that I have.

my point was about...

If it's been done it's been done with an official devkit methinks.

There's also the SDL lib too (granted it needs the MS XBOX SDK, but not an official devkit), I believe at least one howbrew app has used the OpenSDK - no idea which app though

If so, could this still tap the 360's power for better emulation, or decoding high def video files?

That's what I really want :)

Could they not just be images played through mce or the picture viewer, and the guide button pressed?

As has been said, yes.

Assume this XBMC 360 can work running on XBOX 360, how do people transfer it to hard drive and make it run or make it play videos. Assuming we can't burn a DVD R disc.

Just interested to know. Also would Microsoft block XBMC360 due to only used as media player not for cheating or piracy.

The 360 uses SATA hard drives as far as I know which PCs support.