IGNORED

L.A Noire

Lippel

See, I don't think we've ever had graphics good enough to count as Uncanny Valley, but that to me looked creepy and weird. I got that once or twice with Heavy Rain, but combining the ultra-realistic expressions with the odd way the heads somehow don't seem properly attached to the (weirdly flat and static) bodies was a bit unnerving. Plenty of development time to go, of course, and the tech is undeniably impressive.

Was the guy who said "Always happy to help the police department" or whatever at the start of the video the old man out of Fringe?

Still looks good to me. I think some of the uncanny valley or disconnect people are experiencing is because they keep showing behind the scenes stuff. If you just look at the cut scenes, they look great, but if you see the guy from Mad Men in a chair and then his floating computer version head beside him, then both composited into a game, it looks bizarre of course. They would be as well not showing how it is done.

I hope we'll get a better look at some actual gameplay. I like everything I've seen but I'd rather see some footage of how it all works and plays as a game. This is one thing Rockstar doesn't like to show for some reason.

It's definitely an impressive effect, but isn't the tech essentially the same as those talking mannequins you used to see in museums? Where they'd have a flat face and the actor would be projected on it?

So this is basically video of the actors' face, being played back onto a relatively flat facial model in place of a texture, so when they furrow their brow or similar it won't actually protrude it'll just be flat. It's also why ingame none of the faces are reacting to the lighting in the scene, the facial crevices that would cast shadows aren't actually there, they're just pre-recorded.

It does work well but it's also limiting the developers with regards to what angles they can show the characters without breaking the illusion, I doubt you'll see many people in profile for example. It's sort of simultaneously a step forward and back, if they can improve this tech so the process accurately models the movement of their whole face as opposed to just the mouth then I think we'll finally be there.

It seems similar but I think Siren was the closest to that museum thing of a face just being plastered on a flat model. This looks quite a bit more complicated. You can see they do actually react to world light sources, shadowing from their hats, etc during some of the more unusually lit interrogation parts. I think it is more the case that in the daytime scenes they are being lit very flatly. You can see near the end of the trailer, one character casts a shadow over another man's face although they were all recorded individually for face stuff. I think it is fairly impressive technology, but again, I'd be more interested to see how it plays!

The parts of the face that have actually been modelled react to light yeah, so that's the nose, the mouth, any hats the characters may be wearing or possibly their hair. But something like a persons' brow, or the dimples around their mouth for example, these won't cast the shadows they normally would because they're not actually there - mouth and nose aside the model is otherwise flat and the video of the actor being played back has been recorded in flat lighting conditions.

The Social Network actually used a very similar technique to create the twins, and in that they recreated the lighting conditions of each scene and replicated them whilst motion capturing the actor. Obviously though that's a lot easier for a film because the lighting conditions in each finished scene are perfectly controlled.

Was the guy who said "Always happy to help the police department" or whatever at the start of the video the old man out of Fringe?

Yep, clocked him straight away!

Looks really impressive but it's still gonna be another couple of generations before characters stop looking like mannequins.

The parts of the face that have actually been modelled react to light yeah, so that's the nose, the mouth, any hats the characters may be wearing or possibly their hair. But something like a persons' brow, or the dimples around their mouth for example, these won't cast the shadows they normally would because they're not actually there - mouth and nose aside the model is otherwise flat and the video of the actor being played back has been recorded in flat lighting conditions.

apart from the fact they will, due to bump and normal map generation from the video source footage. hence why there are so many cameras to not only capture slight head turns, but provide enough frame data for it to be properly interpolated.

with such a focus on showcasing this new tech, do you really? think they'd have all this detail just cast onto a basic mesh and not be affected by the scene lighting?

the video is recorded in "flat" lighting so that they can get an even screen for the generation of the normal and bump mapping i'd wager.

apart from the fact they will, due to bump and normal map generation from the video source footage. hence why there are so many cameras to not only capture slight head turns, but provide enough frame data for it to be properly interpolated.

with such a focus on showcasing this new tech, do you really? think they'd have all this detail just cast onto a basic mesh and not be affected by the scene lighting?

the video is recorded in "flat" lighting so that they can get an even screen for the generation of the normal and bump mapping i'd wager.

It was bump mapping I had in mind. If the tech actually already does that then that's awesome, I just don't recall it being mentioned in the video and it doesn't look like there's any bump mapping in the gameplay footage we've seen.

Edit: Actually scratch that, you can see it in that screenshot of 'Teds Dad' and it does look very nice.

• 3 weeks later...

Impressive tech demo but, all of it were just game cutscenes...

Impressive facial animations in cutscenes... who cares? Might as well watch a movie then. It's the real time gameplay stuff where it's at and I don't think we will be getting this kind of animation and jazz during gameplay.

Impressive tech demo but, all of it were just game cutscenes...

Impressive facial animations in cutscenes... who cares? Might as well watch a movie then. It's the real time gameplay stuff where it's at and I don't think we will be getting this kind of animation and jazz during gameplay.

The facial animations aren't just there to look pretty. Apparently when you're questioning a suspect, you'll be able to pick up clues from their facial expressions as to whether they are lying, withholding information etc. That might then influence the direction of your investigation.