GTA:IV Official Thread

One thing which I'm hoping they'll have changed, but probably won't have, is the way it was much more sensible to simply run away from danger than shoot your way out.

Let's take the street battle in Heat as the ultimate example of an urban shoot-out. Everyone wants to play a game which lets you feel like Val Kilmer or Robert De Niro in that scene. GTAIV has the potential to do this, with it's new cover/aiming system and area-based 'Wanted' mechanic.

In the last gen's games, shooting cops just brought more cops, so it was always wiser to just run past them and get to that invincible animation when you get in a car.

I really hope GTAIV is designed so that you need to carve yourself an escape route. After all, if the time you spend clearing a route by shooting from cover just means that more and more cops spawn nearby and descend on your position, it won't be worth fighting.

It would also awesome if, when you're being hunted, you can silently take a cop out and not have the Wanted circle recentre on your position, effectively enabling you to stealth your way out if you so wish.

How does that quote indicate anything about AI?

I was highlighting the physics aspect. I love that unscripted stuff. And that bit Pob said about a car coming careering towards you if you shoot someone - i'm not sure that happens all the time.

How would the car know if the person was dead? What it would know is if a person was pressing harder on a pedal but with this physics engine that may not happen.

It's funny reading these previews. The journos are gushing about all these new features, but I kept thinking, "Yeah that was in Saints Row... that was in Saints Row... that was in Saints Row too..."

But GTAIV will no doubt have the one thing in spades, that Saints Row utterly lacked: soul.

This gives a better indication of the 360 graphics....

Bridge%20climb%201--screenshot.jpg

Looks a little shoddy, but the picture itself has compression marks and the camera looks as though its moving so the background is slightly blurred.

Take that into effect and it looks fairly nice.

Looks a little shoddy, but the picture itself has compression marks and the camera looks as though its moving so the background is slightly blurred.

It looks great, in that it's a step-up from what you could do on the PS2 in terms of detail, which is what being a newer console is all about, surely.

You don't need to make excuses for it, this game is going to be Mmmmmmmmmm.

Yeah, i mean you could argue that certain games have already been there and chipped away at elements of GTA that would have been superb, but have been done before. Namely Crackdown and SR, although SR was a graphical mess at times (esp. during vistas).

It looks great, in that it's a step-up from what you could do on the PS2 in terms of detail, which is what being a newer console is all about, surely.

Indeed, although Crackdown did the Vista thing as well. What that didn't have was the people physics and oozing fog like atomsphere this appears to have, along with the weather conditions.

That screen looks amazing. It's not fair to compare it with the intro movie of Metal Gear Solid 2, simply because that's a very confined game and this will be totally free roaming and huge. If the entire game looks as good as that shot and runs well enough, it's a phenomenal achievement. I can't wait.

I do find myself wondering if the game engine will be able to draw details like cars or people when your up high - the Ps2 never did but because this is nextgen, you expect it too. It doesn't look right to climb high and see nothing of the world.

Crackdown did this by cheating (many cars would disappear if you were anal like me and bothered to look.) - but that said the overall effect actually worked really well.

Um, surely that's concept art? Look at it full size - looks like it's painted!

No none. Its only one City. Its got trains though. Hopefully they'll be as fun.

I mean, you can't fly them of course but hopefully you can run people over or place cars in front of them.

I'd rather have the ground level action working better before they added air elements back in anyway.

All this so far sounds really ace :wub:

No none. Its only one City. Its got trains though. Hopefully they'll be as fun.

I mean, you can't fly them of course but hopefully you can run people over or place cars in front of them.

But it does have helicopters, doesn't it?

Thing is despite all the people in here saying how shit it looks I bet 99% of you will still go and buy it at launch. As has been said many times the PS2/xbox GTA games were never graphical powerhouses but the design of the game more than made up for it.

they've gone a slight cel-shaded look on purpose I think..

.::: What the... Slightly cel-shaded?

Maybe I need to visit Specsavers, because all I am seeing is GTA III on a very illegal and very lethal dose of steroids.

.::: What the... Slightly cel-shaded?

Maybe I need to visit Specsavers, because all I am seeing is GTA III on a very illegal and very lethal dose of steroids.

30nbwy0.jpg

33pczk5.jpg

To me that looks like simple textures to add a certain style to the game. Not overly glossy like saints row was...

Yeah, but those particular shots have probably been edited to give that impression. The videos don't convey that, or it's much less pronounced.

Not that I really care. They could use the Quake 1 engine and I'd still buy it.

I think it looks brilliant, and the most important thing for a new GTA game is its framerate, as going back and playing San Andreas for example it really feels sluggish. Saints Row has an awful framerate as well, so i'll be really impressed if it looks as nice as those screenshots and runs at a good consistent fps.