IGNORED

GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I'm sure that'll be intact. I had no end of fun in GTA3 with simple police chases (never as good in the sequels, I felt), and improved AI is bound to lead to hilarity.

Nice to see them recognising the value of driving around slowly doing nothing in particular. As long as they nail that I'll be happy.

True, I'd forgotten how much fun GTAIII was. I even played it again after SA and still thoroughly enjoyed it.

I guess I would've made GTA IV different, but these guys have a proven track record. Perhaps I should just relax, enjoy GTA IV for what it is and wait for the next Pilot Wings on the Wii.

After an initial loading sequence, the game will never load again - even when you transition between interior and exterior locations.

I find this interesting as there has been no mention on whether or not you will be able to access most buildings and explore within.

No DLC for PS3? A massive coup for 360 if true.

Episodic content means it'll probably be sold over live in small chunks, then released as "GTA IV Stories" on disc for both the 360 and PS3 later. If they're spending time developing content they'd want to sell it to as many people as possible.

isn't this set in New York... and you guys are complaining that there are no planes. Seriously, what did you expect, the media are going to do a shit over this anyway, they dont need the added 'LOOK YOU CAN DO A 9/11 IN IT'

isn't this set in New York... and you guys are complaining that there are no planes. Seriously, what did you expect, the media are going to do a shit over this anyway, they dont need the added 'LOOK YOU CAN DO A 9/11 IN IT'

One can complain about something expected, you know. I don't really care what 'the media' has to say.

I hope the breaking car windows/hotwiring thing is part of the actual game. I know it's pedantic and missing the point slgihtly, but I always found it pretty stupid that nearly every parked car on the street was just unlocked and ready for the taking. Provided hotwiring takes a matter of a few seconds, I wouldn't mind a larger proportion of locked cars on the street.

Why can't the PS3 have the downloadable missions?

No planes, smaller - busier area. No vast expanses to bomb across on a quad bike.

My most anticipated game is becoming everything I didn't want. :)

It's interesting how SA really polarised opinions.

We've seen a lot of people agree with you, but equally lots (me included) feeling it was over-bloated and lacking in focus.

I hope the breaking car windows/hotwiring thing is part of the actual game. I know it's pedantic and missing the point slgihtly, but I always found it pretty stupid that nearly every parked car on the street was just unlocked and ready for the taking. Provided hotwiring takes a matter of a few seconds, I wouldn't mind a larger proportion of locked cars on the street.

I'd like that idea. Make you treat your vehicles with a little more respect rather than crash-replace-crash-replace a lot.

While probably the true reason, that's pretty ridiculous, seeing as a) It doesn't look like there will be the Twin Towers in the game, given the fact it's set in the present day, and it would be highly controversial for them simply to include them, and B) there likely won't be a destructible (sp?) landscape, so crashing planes into big buildings will actually do fuck all.

Though saying that, I don't think that simply the fact it's set in a city based on NY should call for the removal of air travel altogether, maybe big passenger jets/jumbos at the most, but not all. And there was massive scope for flying passenger jets into big buildings in metropolis areas of San Andreas too, but as far as I recall there wasn't a big upcry. Probably a hardware issue. I'm still hoping helicopters will be in the game, and if so, I will be happy.

Episodic content means it'll probably be sold over live in small chunks, then released as "GTA IV Stories" on disc for both the 360 and PS3 later. If they're spending time developing content they'd want to sell it to as many people as possible.

Means they'll be making it for the 360 first and then porting to PS3. Even if this doesn't prove the case, or doesn't lead to any noticable difference to the content on both machines, who would want to wait for months to play the add-ons?

I don't remember any complaints about you being able fly a passenger jet into American skyscrapers in SA, and that was only 4 years, rather than 7 years after the fact.

I'd like that idea. Make you treat your vehicles with a little more respect rather than crash-replace-crash-replace a lot.

Yes, like an extension of Mafia where some cars were locked and you'd have to be a sneaky boy and not get caught breaking into them. In Scarface putting value on the cars you own is actually something they did quite well. Once you've bought a car you never lose it. If you destroy it then you have to pay (and amount relative to how expensive the car is) to repair it, plus it's really cool that wherever you are you can call your driver and have him send any car of your choosing to your location. The boots of all the cars also acts as an ammunition locker.

In the GTA series when I got a good car I tended to never take it out lest I roll it and lose the thing. That seems to counter good gameplay.

In the GTA series when I got a good car I tended to never take it out lest I roll it and lose the thing. That seems to counter good gameplay.

This was done well in Saints Row too. You break it, you pay for it, but your car would always make it's own way back to your garage.

True enough, Saints Row fixed that issue, too. Last time I went back to SA I tried to put a car in a couple of garages only to be reminded that they were already stuffed full of vehicles I wanted to keep - but, as you say, would never actually drive. That goes right back to the bulletproof car in GTA3 - very handy, but still capable of rolling over or falling into the sea. On the other hand, financial punishment tends to be shrug-offable in these games, so there's a need for balance. Maybe Scarface managed it, I've no idea.

GTA3 actually did a pretty good job, because it didn't have customisation and you could use the docks to build a collection of cars you could access at any time. It was only really with SA's tuning features that the issues arose - build up a nice custom car (which takes time as well as money) and then get blindsided by a truck or accidentally end up in a police shootout. Then never bother again.

Means they'll be making it for the 360 first and then porting to PS3. Even if this doesn't prove the case, or doesn't lead to any noticable difference to the content on both machines, who would want to wait for months to play the add-ons?

To be fair it would depend on how quickly they release the add-ons. I reckon for each of the last 3 GTA games I've spent around 4 or 5 months playing to completion. If they release the add-ons really quickly it won't bother me one bit as I won't be wanting them at the time.

Not owning either a Xbox360 or PS3 at the moment I won't let this cloud my vision on which one I will buy but this is likely to be the game that makes me go next-gen!

To be fair it would depend on how quickly they release the add-ons. I reckon for each of the last 3 GTA games I've spent around 4 or 5 months playing to completion. If they release the add-ons really quickly it won't bother me one bit as I won't be wanting them at the time.

Not owning either a Xbox360 or PS3 at the moment I won't let this cloud my vision on which one I will buy but this is likely to be the game that makes me go next-gen!

True, I don't yet know what the deal is here. If the exclusivity lock out is the same as it was for SA from PS2 to Xbox, then for me, that would be too long to wait.

If MS do have an exclusivity deal on extra content then it ought to be for more than 3 months to be worth anything though. Some hard facts on this issue would be much appreciated.

Scarface's cash management was pretty good and the expensive cars were actually worth repairing. There was a car in it which was effectively a hummer with a massive gun on the top which cost loads to repair and I would always bring it to firefights resulting in it getting written off because of the firepower it brought.

Cash mattered a lot more in Scarface than most games of the genre. To progress you had to buy out shops and warehouses, so if you'd just written off an expensive car and you couldn't afford to buy a new property then it actually had an effect on the game. For the less expensive cars it mattered less, but then if you were a coke baron then they would hardly matter.

It was only really with SA's tuning features that the issues arose - build up a nice custom car (which takes time as well as money) and then get blindsided by a truck or accidentally end up in a police shootout. Then never bother again.

Yes, exactly. I used that shop once in over 30 hours of gameplay.

Yes, exactly. I used that shop once in over 30 hours of gameplay.

In the Land of the Nerds, in some respects I think I may be the nerdiest. I made a point of souping up all the cars that you could really go to town on, then carefully drove them to the various garages I owned. I never drove them again, I'd just take them out to look at from time to time :)

In the Land of the Nerds, in some respects I think I may be the nerdiest. I made a point of souping up all the cars that you could really go to town on, then carefully drove them to the various garages I owned. I never drove them again, I'd just take them out to look at from time to time :)

I've got a few souped-up numbers safely stored away, too, though I never used them in any actual races. Sod that. Just trying to drive them to a garage without destroying them was enough of a challenge.

The damage should take a little longer to destroy the car, but be more permanent. Well, not completely permanent, but you shouldn't be able to just put them in a garage and have them magically fix themselves. If you put a dent in your pride and joy you should be made to drive it around like that until you get it properly seen to. It was really the risk of rollover that plagued SA.

Persistent cars would be great, too - save up for a swanky, unique ride, leave it parked in Harlem and then find it gone when you return. But it'll still be out there somewhere, being driven around by the thief. A week later you spot it heading down the Bowery and can't resist abandoning your current mission to try to get it back.