GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I was taking Jacob to play pool and I had to 'park' my helicopter on the road. A load of cars backed up behind it and I thought 'Hey, I've got some grenades, what the heck!' Achievement unlocked. I just had to pick Jacob up from the hospital afterwards!

I got that buy getting a 1 star rating just for nudging a police car. Saw a pigeon and wanted to shoot it so had to lose the cops. So i shot them in the face. Within seconds i was on a 34 star rating and cops were already on me again. So i legged it up a nearby crane and with a sliver of health hid behind the central column and took pot shots at any officer that came up the ladder. Must have killed at least 50. But my wanted rating kept going up and up with more police cars coming to get me. So much so that they all kept trying to park in the same spot which caused a frame rate destroying explosion to happen as a load of police cars and vans all exploded at once. But i got the achievement though.

Not really feeling the multiplayer on this. Doesn't feel balanced to me in a lot of respects. I like the cannonball races, although any good driver who gets in front with a decent car should win it every time.

It all seems a bit... throwaway.

According to the guys at Rockstar Team Mafiya is the game mode we should all be learning as it has the most substance and opportunity for carnage.

I think cops & crooks is amazing though if you take out the rockets. Really has that 'on the run' feel at times, when i grab a car and go to pick up a friend but then hear sirens and have to go "sorry man" and make a run for it. or when you get to the boat and dont know whether to wait or scarper. Doesnt feel like any other online game which is really cool.

Wait, so trees actually pop in on the 360 version? When the vids of that first came in people said it was being played on a dodgy dev-kit or something, I take it that was the 360 PR club kicking in?

i'm only 20 hours in but I havent seen a single tree pop in yet. Ive seen textures pop but not objects. But hey, please dont start your shit again with your duff version of the game that sold less

The pop-in is getting worse and worse the more I play. Clearing the 360 cache hasn't helped. My 360's only a few weeks old, too.

I'm thinking that now I've got faster cars and I'm much better at driving them round corners that the game isn't able to keep up with me. It often seems to be after turning corners at high speed that it happens. That said, I'm also seeing an awful lot of stuff appearing during cut scenes - trees, air conditioning units, etc. - and the gun shop interior always takes a second or so to load now.

So maybe playing for over fifty hours in a week has shagged my 360's DVD drive? Or maybe I'm just noticing it more?

And when I go back to the eastern island I don't see it nearly as much as I do on the western island. There's definitely a difference there, unless I'm going mad. It's funny, I can go half an hour without noticing it, then suddenly things will start popping in late all over the place for a few seconds before it settles back down.

Only once has it actually affected the game and hurt me - in Aldernay a fence in an alley appeared after I'd crashed into nothing at high speed and wondered what the hell was going on - but that's once too many, really.

Doesn't stop me loving the game and it's always been the same in every GTA I've played - San Andreas was terrible for it - but it's a bit disappointing. Not bad enough to make me wish I'd picked up the PS3 version - the controller alone makes me pleased I got the 360 version - but disappointing.

:D

Did anyone else find it hilarious when you first meet Badman, Jacob's friend? He's talking in this very, very heavy Jamaican accent, and the look on Niko's face as he stands there trying to understand it is amazing. One of the best moment's in the game.

This, and the way Jacob calmly translates Badman's more impenetrable patois, cracked me up.

Wait, so trees actually pop in on the 360 version? When the vids of that first came in people said it was being played on a dodgy dev-kit or something, I take it that was the 360 PR club kicking in?

And this is important because?

Not sure if you've noticed, but people are talking about the actual game now, not your bullshit wank off epeen which version has 0.0352352% better frame rate than the other type of crap. Why don't you do one?

I really hope you arent seriously having a go at the 360 version of this game after the abortion riddled effort that is the PS3 version. GTFO Chase, come back when the game isnt crashing/freezing and disconnecting from multiplayer every 5 monutes.

Ok, this game is occupying my mind for all the right reasons but one niggle is really starting to grate on me now. The driving model feels just right with understeer punishing the reckless while careful speed control and a tap of the handbrake rewards the concerted getaway driver. However, when turning sharp corners or swinging round a junction the camera pays no attention to where the car is pointing and blindly aims straight on leaving me staring at the side of my car and oblivious to impending traffic. I'm occasionally glancing with the right stick to counter this but I really shouldn't have to.

So, is this a pain for anyone else or are you all just using bonnet cam for driving, cos this annoyance is turning into a scab which I can't stop picking at?

Within seconds i was on a 34 star rating and cops were already on me again.. Must have killed at least 50. But my wanted rating kept going up and up with more police cars coming to get me.

That's..high.

The pop-in is getting worse and worse the more I play. Clearing the 360 cache hasn't helped. My 360's only a few weeks old, too.

I'm thinking that now I've got faster cars and I'm much better at driving them round corners that the game isn't able to keep up with me. It often seems to be after turning corners at high speed that it happens. That said, I'm also seeing an awful lot of stuff appearing during cut scenes - trees, air conditioning units, etc. - and the gun shop interior always takes a second or so to load now.

So maybe playing for over fifty hours in a week has shagged my 360's DVD drive? Or maybe I'm just noticing it more?

And when I go back to the eastern island I don't see it nearly as much as I do on the western island. There's definitely a difference there, unless I'm going mad. It's funny, I can go half an hour without noticing it, then suddenly things will start popping in late all over the place for a few seconds before it settles back down.

Only once has it actually affected the game and hurt me - in Aldernay a fence in an alley appeared after I'd crashed into nothing at high speed and wondered what the hell was going on - but that's once too many, really.

Doesn't stop me loving the game and it's always been the same in every GTA I've played - San Andreas was terrible for it - but it's a bit disappointing. Not bad enough to make me wish I'd picked up the PS3 version - the controller alone makes me pleased I got the 360 version - but disappointing.

Mine is exactly the same. It seems to have gotten worse as the game as gone on, but I too wondered if I was noticing it more because I was better at going round corners.

It isn't so much trees popping in out of nowhere, it's more like the leaf textures suddenly fading in late or changing very visibly. Also air vents fading in on the sides of buildings when I'm driving. Actually somewhere I always notice it is if I drive through the park next to the internet cafe on the first island. The little blades of grass/plants always draw in really late.

But like you, it varies. It's always there to some extent. I really doubt that anyone driving on the main island where the road stretches ahead of you for miles doesn't have some pop-in in the distance. But it won't be particularly bad for an hour and then I'll have 10 minutes of it being quite pronounced. I think it might have something to do with the lighting, I've noticed it more on very sunny days.

It doesn't really spoil the game, and I understand why the game has it, but it can be a bit distracting sometimes. I'm not really sure what extent is normal, I'll have to look at some youtube videos of people playing or something.

I realise this is like jumping into a bear pit, naked, covered in honey, but I wrote this for Some Other Place and thought I might as well give it an airing here too:

-----

I played it for a couple of hours last night. And honestly? I'm not impressed.

Sorry.

Graphically, it is obviously a huge step up from previous GTA games (and

Saints Row), but there are still issues. Pop-up and texture draw-in is as bad,

or worse in some cases, as San Andreas, which is a shame. And what's with this

stupid fuzzy effect on everything? It's like everything is made of felt. It's

more distracting than VC's trails :D

Then there's the camera. Oh god, the camera. Lets count the faults, shall we?

1) When you spin your car, or handbrake too hard, or hit a wall, or something,

it takes *ages* for the camera to re-centre behind your car again. Like,

sometimes 5 or more seconds. Long enough to pull away and hit another wall.

2) You can't reverse the camera controls for just one plane. I want to reverse

up and down, but not left and right. And you can't. So I'm either stuck not

being able to drive (see 3) or stuck not being able to run. Unless I don't

mind not looking where I'm going, of course.

3) All of the camera angles in the car are crap. The default one is too low,

meaning you can't see the road. The next one is too low, but further behind.

The dashboard view is useless for navigating as you can't see to the left and

right of yourself. The aerial view is nice, but ultimately useless.

Speaking of cars, why don't they go round corners? If you brake, you can't

steer. If you handbrake, you steer way too much. Nasty.

Then there's the phone. Which is impossible to use because:

1) It's too small, so I can't read the text.

2) The text is black on dark grey (or possibly dark green?), so I can't read

the text.

And why can't you run while on the phone? Or get in a car while on the phone?

And fighting. Jesus. It's rubbish. Why does the jump button also kick? Why do

you have no control over whether you jump, or kick? If you're fighting two

people at once (like in the mission you have to rescue Roman from the

Albanians) you can't win. The crap controls coupled with the impossible to

understand camera meant I had to leg it to a car and run them down instead.

It's also nice to see they've kept up the grand GTA tradition of graphical

bugs too. In the two hours play, I'd managed to make my car vanish (it

reappeared though) while driving it, drive *through* the floor (I was on the

overpass thing that leads away from the bridge you can't drive across yet -

the car dipped under the road, hit something I couldn't see, through me

through the windscreen, and launched me into the sea), get trapped in a car

wreckage (the mission you have to scare the Korean bloke - I couldn't find

anything to chuck through his window, so smashed my car into his door until it

blew up, then the cutscene had me stood inside the car as I talked to him,

then I couldn't move when control returned), Roman's jaw vanished part way

through a conversation I was having with him, and I got stuck in Roman's

fridge when I tried to see if I could open it.

And! Why does Niko tilt all the time? It makes me feel sick.

As does the awful FOV warping when you look up and down. It's like being in a

fish bowl.

Why, when you change TV channel, does it randomly pick the next channel? Why

can't it do them in order?

And why are there no bikes? I want bikes. I thought this had bikes? I haven't

seen a single bike. Bah.

Oh yes, and another glitch. I went into the park (opposite the Pay and Spray)

and there was a gardener there watering plants. I bumped into him, and he

dropped his watering can, stood on it, then couldn't move off it again, even

when I punched him.

Anyway. I basically spent all my time struggling with the game so didn't

really enjoy it at all. I'm sure some things I'll get used to, but so far it

seems to be a better looking GTA with the same old problems, some new ones,

and a couple of steps backward in some respects.

Now a few questions:

1) Is the map largely the same as the one in GTA III? I know it's bigger, but

does it feature the same places in the same places?

2) How many missions before the rest of the map is opened up?

3) If you ignore your girlfriend for a bit, does she break it off with you,

like they do in San Andreas?

Mine is exactly the same. It seems to have gotten worse as the game as gone on, but I too wondered if I was noticing it more because I was better at going round corners.

Try clearing the 360 cache. Load 3 different games before you play it again.

Ok, this game is occupying my mind for all the right reasons but one niggle is really starting to grate on me now. The driving model feels just right with understeer punishing the reckless while careful speed control and a tap of the handbrake rewards the concerted getaway driver. However, when turning sharp corners or swinging round a junction the camera pays no attention to where the car is pointing and blindly aims straight on leaving me staring at the side of my car and oblivious to impending traffic. I'm occasionally glancing with the right stick to counter this but I really shouldn't have to.

So, is this a pain for anyone else or are you all just using bonnet cam for driving, cos this annoyance is turning into a scab which I can't stop picking at?

You get used to it. I hated it at first. I automatically babysit the camera now without thinking about it. In fact I'm constantly making it higher because I think it's positioned too low, especially if you're going up a hill.

Try clearing the 360 cache. Load 3 different games before you play it again.

I cleared it using that combination of bumpers and buttons but it didn't do anything. Will this do anything different. I know some games have specific ways to clear the cache, like holding A for Oblivion. Or when I got stuttering problems in Bioshock I think you had to hold LB and RB on startup, which worked when clearing the cache through the blade menu didn't.

That's..high.

Aye, what on Earth could the cops bring out against you with a 34 star wanted rating? Do they send terminators after your great granny? Nuke the site from orbit?

Ooh, maybe at level 34 they bring back the awesome stingers to fuck your tyres up. I miss the stingers. Can't actually remember which version they're from, but I miss them. Tasers, too, would be nice.

I think it might have something to do with the lighting, I've noticed it more on very sunny days.

It definitely seems to do lighting effects in passes, or something. Especially on trees, when the leaves change about three times before settling down. It's an odd effect, but hardly game breaking. Or even game hurting, really. It's a tiny niggle in an amazing game. (But what are forums for, if not endless discussion of tiny niggles that don't actually matter? We've got to do something while wait for the work day to end so we can get back to GTA.)

Even the invisible fence I crashed into might have had something to do with the lighting. I zoomed in from a sunny road into a very dark alley, so the fence might have loaded, but maybe the lighting just wasn't being applied correctly until after I hit it.

(Or the game was doing some really clever simulation of my eyes adjusting to the light, but I've not noticed that elsewhere.)

I cleared it using that combination of bumpers and buttons but it didn't do anything. Will this do anything different. I know some games have specific ways to clear the cache, like holding A for Oblivion. Or when I got stuttering problems in Bioshock I think you had to hold LB and RB on startup, which worked when clearing the cache through the blade menu didn't.

Not sure why but I've always had better results with the 3 games trick. Its a pain but worth a try.

I get a wee bit of pop-in on the 360, nothing that fazes me.

Well, that is apart from when I'm tearing across the left-most bridge between Broker and Bohan. There's a sharp right near the end, and as I approach it it's just an empty stretch of grey; no objects, no textures, nothing. Just as I'm about to hit the un-rendered central-reservation barrier, it pops in, along with the textures. It's truly horrific, but I'm used to it now and haven't seen it as bad anywhere else. I had a cop car ahead of me at this point, one time, and it was actually driving on the empty grey area when the barrier popped-in and flung the cop car off the bridge. Both an angry and a lol moment at the same time. So confusing :D

I actually sat down and played for a decent amount of time last night, and now I love it. The first few hours are truly awful in comparison, and totally bewildering to someone who's never played a GTA game before. At the same time as being almost too big in scope and scale, the game hand holds you through some really boring rubbish without any real explanation, so there's actually almost no time to get used to the setting and control system.

But now i've created a few setpieces and the cutscenes seem worthwhile, I can see why everyone loves it so much. Converted.

I actually sat down and played for a decent amount of time last night, and now I love it. The first few hours are truly awful in comparison, and totally bewildering to someone who's never played a GTA game before. At the same time as being almost too big in scope and scale, the game hand holds you through some really boring rubbish without any real explanation, so there's actually almost no time to get used to the setting and control system.

But now i've created a few setpieces and the cutscenes seem worthwhile, I can see why everyone loves it so much. Converted.

You are me. I'm really enjoying the game now. There are still things that niggle at me but it's so much better than those first few hours. Also changing the combat to auto-aim has improved things so much for me, especially during those missions where enemies aren't on the radar and it's easy for one to take you by surprise when you come out of cover and think it's safe. I almost feel a bit like I'm cheating with the auto-aim because it makes things a lot easier but I just don't feel like the manual aim is quick enough to deal with the pace of the game sometimes.

I did feel frustration start to rise at one of the Packie missions where him and his friends are seemingly suicidal so I calmly turned it off before it ruined my impressions of the 8 hours of great gaming I'd just had.

Ok, I'm going to address this:

1) When you spin your car, or handbrake too hard, or hit a wall, or something,

it takes *ages* for the camera to re-centre behind your car again. Like,

sometimes 5 or more seconds. Long enough to pull away and hit another wall.

Pressing down on the right analogue stick immediately centres the camera behind your car.

2) You can't reverse the camera controls for just one plane. I want to reverse

up and down, but not left and right. And you can't. So I'm either stuck not

being able to drive (see 3) or stuck not being able to run. Unless I don't

mind not looking where I'm going, of course.

You can reverse just the y axis, with "invert look", if that's what you mean. Although it probably isn't.

3) All of the camera angles in the car are crap. The default one is too low,

meaning you can't see the road. The next one is too low, but further behind.

The dashboard view is useless for navigating as you can't see to the left and

right of yourself. The aerial view is nice, but ultimately useless.

The camera angles are exactly the same as San Andreas. I've never had an issue seeing the road ahead, but obviously this is subjective.

Speaking of cars, why don't they go round corners? If you brake, you can't

steer. If you handbrake, you steer way too much. Nasty.

They do go round corners, but they actually handle slightly like real cars this time round, not floaty messes. This means that, yes, you might have to spend the first few hours braking before each corner, rather than as you turn, just like in real life. After a bit of practise though the handbrake can be used to do pretty fast turns at speed, although nothing like the crazy 90 degree turns you could do at 200mph like in the old games. Although this is a good thing.

Then there's the phone. Which is impossible to use because:

1) It's too small, so I can't read the text.

2) The text is black on dark grey (or possibly dark green?), so I can't read

the text.

You can increase the text size of the phone in the options. Also about 6-7 hours in you'll recieve a new phone with the ability to have themes and different colour schemes.

And why can't you run while on the phone? Or get in a car while on the phone?

You can't run while on the phone. You can get in / out of a car while on the phone, and you can drive. You just can't carjack someone while on the phone.

And fighting. Jesus. It's rubbish. Why does the jump button also kick? Why do

you have no control over whether you jump, or kick? If you're fighting two

people at once (like in the mission you have to rescue Roman from the

Albanians) you can't win. The crap controls coupled with the impossible to

understand camera meant I had to leg it to a car and run them down instead.

This, to be frank, makes you just sound like you're shit. The jump button also kicks if you target an enemy, because your controls change to hand-to-hand controls. They also make Y do a hook, the bastards! Fighting is massively easy, but if you treat it like the old GTAs you will die. In GTA4 to fight you need to wait for the opponent to swing, press A to dodge, then open up on them with a counter (Y or B after dodging), which normally will brutalise pretty much everyone, or even disarm them.

It's also nice to see they've kept up the grand GTA tradition of graphical

bugs too. In the two hours play, I'd managed to make my car vanish (it

reappeared though) while driving it, drive *through* the floor (I was on the

overpass thing that leads away from the bridge you can't drive across yet -

the car dipped under the road, hit something I couldn't see, through me

through the windscreen, and launched me into the sea), get trapped in a car

wreckage (the mission you have to scare the Korean bloke - I couldn't find

anything to chuck through his window, so smashed my car into his door until it

blew up, then the cutscene had me stood inside the car as I talked to him,

then I couldn't move when control returned), Roman's jaw vanished part way

through a conversation I was having with him, and I got stuck in Roman's

fridge when I tried to see if I could open it.

Not had any of these issues, so can't really comment. Worst that I've seen is slight pop-in. And I've completed the game.

And! Why does Niko tilt all the time? It makes me feel sick.

I like it. It's realistic.

As does the awful FOV warping when you look up and down. It's like being in a

fish bowl.

Not noticed this, I guess you got sick when you played Half Life 2?

Note: I ran out of allowed quote boxes in one post, so I'm going to double post this.

Why, when you change TV channel, does it randomly pick the next channel? Why

can't it do them in order?

The TVs in the latter apartments (Plasma LCD TVs) do go in order, with no static. I think your first TV does this because it's one of those ones you need to use a dial to tune.

And why are there no bikes? I want bikes. I thought this had bikes? I haven't

seen a single bike. Bah.

There are motorcycles, but I've yet to see a bike either :D As some consolation there are shopping trolleys!

Oh yes, and another glitch. I went into the park (opposite the Pay and Spray)

and there was a gardener there watering plants. I bumped into him, and he

dropped his watering can, stood on it, then couldn't move off it again, even

when I punched him.

Not seen this happen, so can't comment.

Anyway. I basically spent all my time struggling with the game so didn't

really enjoy it at all. I'm sure some things I'll get used to, but so far it

seems to be a better looking GTA with the same old problems, some new ones,

and a couple of steps backward in some respects.

Completely disagree, but each to their own I guess.

Now a few questions:

1) Is the map largely the same as the one in GTA III? I know it's bigger, but

does it feature the same places in the same places?

2) How many missions before the rest of the map is opened up?

3) If you ignore your girlfriend for a bit, does she break it off with you,

like they do in San Andreas?

1. No, it's pretty different. It also includes loads of landmarks not in GTA3, like Times Square and the Statue of Liberty.

2. You should have the full map after about half the missions, or about 15 hours in.

3. The first girlfriend doesn't because she's important to the plot, but optional girlfriends you can date later on can break up with you.

I automatically babysit the camera now without thinking about it. In fact I'm constantly making it higher because I think it's positioned too low, especially if you're going up a hill.

Yeah, the height issue is a slight niggle but I don't mind lifting it up a little when heading over peaks and whatnot. But the cameras insistence on staring at the side of my car as I try to skillfully swing it across traffic is getting gradually more frustrating though and I don't want it to encroach upon what has been a great experience so far. I'll force myself to use bonnet cam for a while and see if that's an acceptable compromise. It might even make things more fun.

I collected all these lovely Turismo models in the same two streets outside the second safe house. I've noticed the game spawns a lot of what you're already driving.

This has been a 'feature' of all the 3D GTAs: I've always assumed it's deliberate and for purposes of memory / processing economy, with less model types and texture sets to load in at any one time. The game seems to group classes of vehicles for spawning, and the upside is that it helps to reinforce the flavour of an area (rich residential has lots of flashy sportsters; building site has lorries and construction vehicles), so there's obviously a seed for each area. But it's a sufficiently predictable quirk that players of previous games have used it to encourage the spawning of rarer vehicles by driving around in another from the same group.

Good retorts, Raize :D I'd always been a bit wary of deKay, but now I know he just doesn't... get things. :)

And complaining about the fisheye effect when looking up is madness, it's fucking cool.