GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

Can someone spoiler where you get this new mobile phone from, please? I'm more than 6-7 hours in and am wondering if I've missed it, or am just playing slowly.

Thanks.

I think I'd been playing for over twenty hours before I got it.

Anyway, it's given to you by

Playboy X

Can someone spoiler where you get this new mobile phone from, please? I'm more than 6-7 hours in and am wondering if I've missed it, or am just playing slowly.

Thanks.

You can't miss it, mild spoiler:

You will do a mission on the second island for someone that will require taking a photo on a mobile

More spoilery-spoiler:

It's Playboy X you want to be hassling for missions if you're eager

Also depending on how you've played, 7 hours isn't that far at all, considering I reached the second island after about 15-18 hours :D

Thanks.

Oops, I pretty much rushed through the storyline at first, so that time counter might not be completely accurate.

Anyway, it's pretty soon after you unlock the middle island.

2. You should have the full map after about half the missions, or about 15 hours in

:D

I've been playing for nearly 40 hours according to my timer and I still haven't unlocked the third island. Does this mean I'm less than halfway through?

I love that FOV thing when you look up, it looks amazing when you do it near some high buildings.

What's handbrake cam? I've seen it in the option but I have no idea what it does.

As soon as you put the handbrake on I think it locks the camera to make the drift look more dramatic. Turn it off and the camera should stay behind the car, preventing the camera problems some dont like with it been stuck in front of the car for too long.

This has been a 'feature' of all the 3D GTAs: I've always assumed it's deliberate and for purposes of memory / processing economy, with less model types and texture sets to load in at any one time. The game seems to group classes of vehicles for spawning, and the upside is that it helps to reinforce the flavour of an area (rich residential has lots of flashy sportsters; building site has lorries and construction vehicles), so there's obviously a seed for each area. But it's a sufficiently predictable quirk that players of previous games have used it to encourage the spawning of rarer vehicles by driving around in another from the same group.

The seeding of an area makes perfect sense, and I very much enjoy being able to spot a nice car like the Turismo in South Bohan on rare occasions...but, if I then drive around in that same area (just two streets) in the Turismo, it'd be better if the game knew I was in a car too good for the area, and didn't spawn them parked two together with a third driving past :D

Last night South Bohan was like the annual Stretch and Turismo Enthusiasts Get Together. Fuck knows why the Faggio Club were there too, though...hehehe.

Edit: And thanks for the mobile phone info. I've just recently met that character and will be doing his missions soon.

:D

I've been playing for nearly 40 hours according to my timer and I still haven't unlocked the third island. Does this mean I'm less than halfway through?

Ok ok, my timescale is fucked. I have the "complete the game in under 30 hours" achievement, mainly because I got really really into the story.

But yeah, you unlock the 3rd island about half way to two-thirds way through the story.

There's a good 25-30 missions left after you've unlocked the entire map.

I'm starting to think that might be down to the actual Xbox you have rather than the console in general. My Elite hasn't done anything like that in fact I can only recall a couple of instances of slowdown/framerate issues and they were barely a second at best. Everything else has been fine.

Same here.

Pressing down on the right analogue stick immediately centres the camera behind your car.

I will try that. Thanks.

You can reverse just the y axis, with "invert look", if that's what you mean. Although it probably isn't.

That inverts both axes, not just one. Which is the problem.

The camera angles are exactly the same as San Andreas. I've never had an issue seeing the road ahead, but obviously this is subjective.

I never had a problem in SA either. Here, it's far too low.

You can increase the text size of the phone in the options. Also about 6-7 hours in you'll recieve a new phone with the ability to have themes and different colour schemes.

I will try this.

You can't run while on the phone.

But *why*? It seems like a stupid limitation.

This, to be frank, makes you just sound like you're shit. The jump button also kicks if you target an enemy, because your controls change to hand-to-hand controls. They also make Y do a hook, the bastards! Fighting is massively easy, but if you treat it like the old GTAs you will die. In GTA4 to fight you need to wait for the opponent to swing, press A to dodge, then open up on them with a counter (Y or B after dodging), which normally will brutalise pretty much everyone, or even disarm them.

I may well be shit. But the hand-to-hand combat in previous games is one of the things that worked fine, so why change it to something that doesn't work as well?

I like it. It's realistic.

You lurch 30 degrees from the vertical when walking in a slight curve? :D

Not noticed this, I guess you got sick when you played Half Life 2?

Well, feeling sick was an exaggeration. It *is* very disorientating though. And no, HL2 didn't make me feel ill. Climbing the Agency Tower in Crackdown did, though.

Just got 2 quick questions

1) Can you do taxi missions? I tried calling the number of 'Drivers wanted' as seen in the back of taxis and just got the dial tone

2)On the second island after you're given the choice

to kill Playboy X or Dwayne, I killed playboy. Niko then called Dwayne to let him know what the shizzle is, but I was trying to get into a car at the same time and cancelled the converstaion. What did they say roughly and is it important?

thanks

There's a whole other thing I didn't mention too: the audio.

The talking is too quiet. Bumping SFX volume up and music down seems to make little difference to hearing the speech. I had to sit with the TV remote on my lap so I could put the volume up every cutscene, then put it down again as the cars and effects would be too loud. I've put subtitles on, but they don't appear on the screen. I haven't heard any of the radio stations with any clarity yet as I've had to put the music volume so low.

Oh, and why is the game so bloody dark? I had to bump the brightness and contrast up even when in bright daylight.

I may well be shit. But the hand-to-hand combat in previous games is one of the things that worked fine, so why change it to something that doesn't work as well?

It is much more competant and deep, but I can understand your confusion and annoyance at it coming from the previous GTAs, with one button that you just keep hitting over and over again.

Once you've mastered it though, you can really do some very cool stuff, like disarm police officers, or win a brawl with three people, dodging every single punch. Some of the counters are very Bourne-like too.

Get into a few more fights and it should "click" before too long. One of my favourite things lately (after getting the fighting achievement), has been just starting fights with groups of unarmed gangmembers and seeing how long I can last.

it'd be better if the game knew I was in a car too good for the area, and didn't spawn them parked two together with a third driving past :D

Clearly, the mere sighting of your presence can immediately raise the value of an area. You know, like Kirsty Allsop.

to kill Playboy X or Dwayne, I killed playboy. Niko then called Dwayne to let him know what the shizzle is, but I was trying to get into a car at the same time and cancelled the converstaion. What did they say roughly and is it important?

thanks

You now own Playboys mansion. Its classed as a safehouse.

The seeding of an area makes perfect sense, and I very much enjoy being able to spot a nice car like the Turismo in South Bohan on rare occasions...but, if I then drive around in that same area (just two streets) in the Turismo, it'd be better if the game knew I was in a car too good for the area, and didn't spawn them parked two together with a third driving past :D

I pinched a Ferrari lookalike early on in the game from outside Faustin's mansion. It didnt start generating more of these on the streets though.

Once you've mastered it though, you can really do some very cool stuff, like disarm police officers, or win a brawl with three people, dodging every single punch. Some of the counters are very Bourne-like too.

Get into a few more fights and it should "click" before too long. One of my favourite things lately (after getting the fighting achievement), has been just starting fights with groups of unarmed gangmembers and seeing how long I can last.

I'll have to try these counters. So it's B or Y after dodging a hit is it?

One thing I love is the way you can 'suppress' cops and gang members by spraying bullets in their direction. It makes them duck behind whatever cover they are near. I love peppering a phalanx of cops firing from behind their cars, like Val Kilmer in Heat, and running off whilst they are ducking or clutching their wounds.

I'm about about 40% completion and I want to advance the story to that I can unlock the final island.

So far I have the ability to do missions from:

Playboy X, Packie and Some Italian bloke

Whose missions do I do to advance the story a bit to keep me interested?

You now own Playboys mansion. Its classed as a safehouse.

You should also wine and dine Dwayne as his friend perk is sending round some of the boys to help you out.

Although, I'm startintg to wish I'd killed him instead as he's a clinging whingy git.

"Hey Niko did you just ring?"

"No."

"It's just that I was in the shower and I thought I heard the phone ringing..."

"Wasn't me."

The expectant pause he then gave waiting for an invite to go out before hanging up dejected was hilarious mind.

I pinched a Ferrari lookalike early on in the game from outside Faustin's mansion. It didnt start generating more of these on the streets though.

That must have been before you 'unlocked' the Turismos (I assume that's the car you mean). They shouldn't start appearing on the map until you unlock the second island.

I think the Comets must start appearing straight after you do that race mission for Brucie. I carefully drove Brucie's Comet back to my Bohan safehouse, where I found about six parked around the corner in all the colours of the rainbow.

That must have been before you 'unlocked' the Turismos (I assume that's the car you mean). They shouldn't start appearing on the map until you unlock the second island.

I think the Comet's must start appearing straight after you do that race mission for Brucie. I carefully drove Brucie's Comet back to my Bohan safehouse, where I found about six parked around the corner in all the colours of the rainbow.

Could be. It was parked behind a BMW lookalike car without fail each time I stopped by. Made an interesting drive after all the other shite thats available at this stage in the game.

I'm not convinced it seeds the car you're driving. I usually get it in the lull immediately after a mission and I've had streets full of harleys, forklifts, coquettes and a couple of others, all while driving sensible hatchbacks or robbed taxis.

OK, maybe a dumb question, but how do I get a 4 star police rating? I fancied trying to attempt the 'escape from 4 stars' achievement last night, so got the cops after me and started shooting some of them, but my rating seemed to stick on 3 stars even as I killed more cops.

Do I need to do something special to get it up to 4, or did I just not shoot enough cops?

Specific cars also tend to spawn if you choose to race. I rang Brucie to set up a race last night while I was driving near LJ's house in a crappy old banger and within seconds I suddenly noticed Tourismo's and other supercars driving around and parked everywhere.

Finally found a pigeon where I had hoped one would be

on the top of the diving board in Steinway park

Cleared Brucie's missions last night and finally did that package delivery where the dealer is in the EIC tunnel. Feel motivated to complete all the optional stuff on the first island before unlocking the second but I don't think there is a financial reward for dealing with the most wanted. At this rate I will be clocking serious time on this baby.

Oh and bonnet cam all the way - I cant believe how much difference it makes in this game - with it on you can judge distances perfectly and take corners easily provided you brake first, without it things are pretty awkward at times.

OK, maybe a dumb question, but how do I get a 4 star police rating? I fancied trying to attempt the 'escape from 4 stars' achievement last night, so got the cops after me and started shooting some of them, but my rating seemed to stick on 3 stars even as I killed more cops.

Do I need to do something special to get it up to 4, or did I just not shoot enough cops?

Easiest way: drive on the runways of the airport :D

I escaped from a 4-star rating last night and didn't get an achievement.

Does it not count if it's part of a mission or something?

Also, why when I phone

Carmen to get some healing do I often not heal? She talks me through the healing process and everything, but my health doesn't go up at the end of the call?

Also also, I've played the game every day since launch, haven't changed any GPS options, but only in one session have I heard the GPS talk to me. It did it in cars I normally drive all the time, but only on that one day has it talked to me. Why?

I'm about about 40% completion and I want to advance the story to that I can unlock the final island.

So far I have the ability to do missions from:

Playboy X, Packie and Some Italian bloke

Whose missions do I do to advance the story a bit to keep me interested?

I think it's the third. But I'd avise doing the second guy's missions first.

You should also wine and dine Dwayne as his friend perk is sending round some of the boys to help you out.

Although, I'm startintg to wish I'd killed him instead as he's a clinging whingy git.

"Hey Niko did you just ring?"

"No."

"It's just that I was in the shower and I thought I heard the phone ringing..."

"Wasn't me."

The expectant pause he then gave waiting for an invite to go out before hanging up dejected was hilarious mind.

cableguy.jpg

Is it possible to (second island and onwards)

fuck Kate

?