GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I hate the fact that if you pick up a good vehicle and drive over to Brucies and leave it near to the marker, then start the mission by moving onto the marker, the vehicle has disappeared by the time the cut scene ends and you come out onto the street again. Why should this happen?

The good thing about the Elite export and Most wanted side missions is that they are more "organic" - you dont have to go through cut scenes at all and you can scout the situation and work out which approach to take at your leisure.

Is there any point saving cars you want to keep? If you actually use them to drive to missions then it seems there's a good chance that you'll lose it, due to you either needing to use something else to getaway or it disappearing because the mission requires you travel too far away from where you leave it. Also if I see something I want to explore while driving around then theres no guarantee the car will be there when I get back. It seems especially pointless now I have a car showroom full of nice cars I can rob at any time just around the corner from my safehouse.

You have to be on foot.

I thought this but my flatmate and his boss did it escaping by car. I thought at first it was a badly worded achievement as I understood it to mean running on foot, but they got it by driving! I wonder if it was a glitch somewhere?

Really? :lol:

No seriously, really? Why?

I thought that because it says 'outrun' rather than 'out drive' and I took it literally! I guess you can do it by driving... maybe it does have to be separate from a mission?

I wasn't on foot when I got that achievement :lol:

Edit - and I thought it was just plain impossible to lose wanted rating while airbourne... Ah well! Learn somethign new every day! :(

I think they mean not in the air, not literally on foot.

How do you escape 'in the air'? It's not like helicopters are easy to come by. :(

Or am I completely misunderstanding you? :lol:

And if you stole a helicopter in front of them, wouldn't it bump you past 4 stars anyway? Man, i'm so confused now.

Yeah does it not just mean you need to actually get away in a car/bike whatever but then escape them and not use a pay n spray? I dunno I've not gone for it yet but on 4 stars on foot is not gonna happen, surely?

Out of interest, I found the cover system tutorials a bit rubbish. What I found to be a brilliant alternative is to stand at the end of the last corridor in the hospital after having killed all the patients, taking down the cops as they send wave after wave towards you.

Hmm, sounds like a glitch to me. I don't know for sure, but the other achievements don't seem dependent on being in or out of a mission.

I reckon that I probably don't have the skills to get away from a 4* on foot myself.

I played it for a couple of hours last night. And honestly? I'm not impressed.

Sorry.

Did you not learn your lesson from Skate? You really, really need to play it for more than a couple of hours. I was feeling the same for a while, but the city, the characters, the story, all the stuff to do adds up to way more than the sum of its parts. I'm thoroughly bewitched by it, and i've only just started the second island missions. 30 hours in! I'd usually be completely fed up with a game after 10 hours.

As for the voices, apparently the audio defaults to 5.1 - have you tried changing it to stereo? They're still fairly quiet though, tbh.

I used a Pay & Spray to get rid of the four star rating. Maybe it didn't count because of that and not because I was on a mission?

That's it. You have to lose the 4 star rating by getting out of the circle, either in a car or on foot, rather than by using a pay and spray.

I used a Pay & Spray to get rid of the four star rating. Maybe it didn't count because of that and not because I was on a mission?

Or maybe it just glitched me.

Oh this! The achievement is for outrunning the police, so pay & spray doesn't count, I don't think. In fact, I've never used one to get away from the police in the game yet!

How do you escape 'in the air'? It's not like helicopters are easy to come by. :(

Or am I completely misunderstanding you? :lol:

And if you stole a helicopter in front of them, wouldn't it bump you past 4 stars anyway? Man, i'm so confused now.

Well once you find out where to get helicopters from I reckon a lot of people would just try to get 4 stars, then drive to the helicopter place and try to escape the radar that way, hence the onfoot stipulation.

I've got the 4 star achievement and I definitely did it by car. And it was bloody hard enough that way.

Yeah does it not just mean you need to actually get away in a car/bike whatever but then escape them and not use a pay n spray? I dunno I've not gone for it yet but on 4 stars on foot is not gonna happen, surely?

Aha! I think you have the answer there. Outrunning them completely and not cheating with Pay & Spray.

I want to try and outrun 4 stars on foot now. :lol:

Also also, I've played the game every day since launch, haven't changed any GPS options, but only in one session have I heard the GPS talk to me. It did it in cars I normally drive all the time, but only on that one day has it talked to me. Why?

I noticed this as well. Very strange. I thought maybe I'd hit some option to turn it off in a sub-menu but I don't think so...

Anyone else?

I noticed this as well. Very strange. I thought maybe I'd hit some option to turn it off in a sub-menu but I don't think so...

Anyone else?

You're not driving good enough cars. It's car specific, generally look for the BMW lookalikes to hear the voice.

Anyone else?

I just presumed different individual cars either had it fitted or not, just as different cars are pre-tuned to different radio stations.

Anyone else?

Steal nicer cars. :lol:

I really like the different sat nav voices. "Cheesy American Guy" is hilarious and the sultry UK womans voice is very sexy.

"When safe, please make a U turn"

You're not driving good enough cars. It's car specific, generally look for the BMW lookalikes to hear the voice.

It's not that. I'm fifty hours in and drive a lot of good cars. Only in one play session has the talking GPS worked and that was in cars that I've driven other times. It gave me the voice in most, if not all, the cars I used that day, but I've not heard it before or since.

I thought that because it says 'outrun' rather than 'out drive' and I took it literally! I guess you can do it by driving... maybe it does have to be separate from a mission?

You must have played that brilliant cross-country charity jogging game, Outrun 2: Coast to Coast.

Steal nicer cars. :lol:

I really like the different sat nav voices. "Cheesy American Guy" is hilarious and the sultry UK womans voice is very sexy.

"When safe, please make a U turn"

Bing-bong!

Can anyone tell me if the random missions, signified by blue people on the map, ever reappear if you mess them up or are they gone forever? I failed one a bit unfairly last night I thought. The one where you have to take a photo of a cheating wife in a bar with her lover. I took the photo and presumed that, since I had the photo, I could now walk straight past them, but apparently the act of simply walking straight past them in a crowded bar was enough to alert them to the fact I was spying on them and I failed :lol: