GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I noticed this as well. Very strange. I thought maybe I'd hit some option to turn it off in a sub-menu but I don't think so...

Anyone else?

Oh my.

I'm amazed at the intellect some people have displayed in this thread.

fucking :lol:

They don't follow you into the subway tracks, which was my plan for getting this achievement. That's how I got the '5 minutes at 6 stars' one, anyway.

Heh heh. I took a helicopter over the forbidden third island, and then kinda hovered around until the achievement popped up, after which I plummeted deliberately and ignobly to my death.

I think I'll be using something along the lines of your method for the 4* one though, as you need to stay alive to claim your prize.

Oh my.

What do you mean?

It's simple.

On Saturday I steal a PMP 600 - for example could be a Sentinel, Infernus, whatever - and it doesn't have voice GPS.

One Sunday I steal the same car, it has voice GPS.

On Monday I steal the same car again, no voice GPS.

Without touching anything in the options menu.

Why is this happening?

OK, maybe a dumb question, but how do I get a 4 star police rating? I fancied trying to attempt the 'escape from 4 stars' achievement last night, so got the cops after me and started shooting some of them, but my rating seemed to stick on 3 stars even as I killed more cops.

Do I need to do something special to get it up to 4, or did I just not shoot enough cops?

Go onto the airport runway for an insta 4 star rating. I'm also told if you call in Roman's car service and set a destination faaaaaar away and jump to it with A, you get the achi easily. I'm glad I didn't do it like that. I enjoyed my hour long escape from cops in a mega city wide car chase.

What do you mean?

It's simple.

On Saturday I steal a PMP 600 - for example could be a Sentinel, Infernus, whatever - and it doesn't have voice GPS.

One Sunday I steal the same car, it has voice GPS.

On Monday I steal the same car again, no voice GPS.

Without touching anything in the options menu.

Why is this happening?

For the same reason that if you stole the same model of car three separate times in real life, it wouldn't have GPS every time.

Maybe?

I don't know, perhaps it's just really obvious to me. I didn't think anything odd of it - some cars are more blinged.

Honestly - you thought it was a bug? I find that quite funny, is all :(

You can change the options to make it always speak, I think - not messed around with anything in the setting myself, either.

Edit - you'll be freaking out when you hear the DIFFERENT voices for GPS next - "I'm driving down the road, then suddenly its a MANS voice instead of a WOMAN - WTF I haven't touched the options!?!?" :lol:

I don't know, perhaps it's just really obvious to me. I didn't think anything odd of it - some cars are more blinged.

I've played every day since launch.

Only on one day has any car talked to me - and loads of the cars did it that day. I've stole the same cars again, stole better cars before and since, but no voice GPS.

It's mostly definitely a bug of some sort.

Just had my first encounter with a lady of the night. I use the term lasy lightly as she was quite a big old crack whore.

Went fine. Used her services twice and dropped her off. Was about to drive away when she insulted me so it called for a shotgun to the face.

Good times.

Loving the racing too. Using the

car Brucie gives you

is superb.

Am starting to learn the city a bit more by not relying on the GPS too much and finding my own way round.

Quick question..do you get more clothing shops? Are they put on your map automatically or do i have to hunt them down? I'm getting bored of that first shop's wares.

The way you turn the radio on in the helicopters seems like a bug to me - I have to do something dramatic, like fly under a bridge or use the cinematic camera, it doesn't come on for me otherwise. Weird.

I got the 'Under the Radar' and 'survive for 5 minutes on 6 stars' achievements last night... trying to fly under those bridges on the third island with two police choppers and what felt like 20 cars worth shooting at me was tense but brilliant!

I've played every day since launch.

Only on one day has any car talked to me - and loads of the cars did it that day. I've stole the same cars again, stole better cars before and since, but no voice GPS.

It's mostly definitely a bug of some sort.

I put it to you, that it's just a random factor, and you've been unlucky. I've also clocked up some decent hours thankyouverymuch, and I've had plenty of talkey GPS systems :lol:

I put it to you, that it's just a random factor, and you've been unlucky. I've also clocked up some decent hours thankyouverymuch, and I've had plenty of talkey GPS systems :lol:

I give up.

I'm obviously not explaining the problem clearly enough.

Oh my.

Erm, excuse me?

I can tell you 100% that it isn't anything to do with the cars I'm driving like some people have said. I steal loads of the BMW type vehicles and at one point I would always get the GPS system working and then one day it just didn't anymore. In fact I even used to get a GPS system in some cars that were only half decent.

So if I'm missing something completely obvious then fair enough, but otherwise, please enlighten me...

I give up.

I'm obviously not explaining the problem clearly enough.

Maybe you have to select a waypoint to enable the voice?

I'm not sure, I've only had two or three cars that had Voice GPS in about 18 hours play.

I'm really curious but does anyone here have a female partner that is enjoying watching or even playing the game? What are the girls making of it basically?

My wife loves watching me play it. She offers helpful advice - actual, real helpful advice, not rubbish backseat gaming - enjoys me killing people, loves the cool jumps and stunts and likes my girlfriends and lap dances. She likes it when I kill prostitutes in secluded areas, but asks me to try not to hurts the strippers if there's any trouble in a strip club. She's also really fond of many of the characters.

For the last week she's been playing Pokemon Mystery Dungeon on her DS while I've played GTA, looking up when cool stuff happens and listening in all the time.

The only time she's not liked the game is when I shot a cop and he lay on the floor and moaned "Tell my wife... I love her", but she cheered up again after I paused to call an ambulance for him before fleeing the scene.

Erm, excuse me?

I can tell you 100% that it isn't anything to do with the cars I'm driving like some people have said. I steal loads of the BMW type vehicles and at one point I would always get the GPS system working and then one day it just didn't anymore. In fact I even used to get a GPS system in some cars that were only half decent.

So if I'm missing something completely obvious then fair enough, but otherwise, please enlighten me...

GPS (voiced) are only in some cars but in the menu I think you can make it all of them/turn it off completely.

I am shockingly seeing a huge amount of dimness and people missing quite obvious things in the game though- even I did it, I played through 7 hours before realising you can turn auto aim off :lol:

I always knew how to get in a taxi though. Lol you idiots.

I'm really curious but does anyone here have a female partner that is enjoying watching or even playing the game? What are the girls making of it basically?

Your mum says it's a good game.

You know the one from Britains Got Talent :lol:

Can't get my missus to show the slightest interest at all, but my daughters absolutely love it.

There's actually a big long post in this (or maybe a blog post), which I can't be bothered to type up at the moment, but previously I avoided GTA games precisely because I like to play games at home with my kids. I changed my mind with this one, and I'm finding playing it with the kids to be a surprisingly positive 'parenting' experience, as it's led to a lot of discussion about the difference between reality and fantasy, what satire is, what they're allowed to say in real life, talking about crime and criminals etc. And a lot of laughs at their impressions of Brucie et al.

For the same reason that if you stole the same model of car three separate times in real life, it wouldn't have GPS every time.

Maybe?

Honestly - you thought it was a bug? I find that quite funny, is all :(

You can change the options to make it always speak, I think - not messed around with anything in the setting myself, either.

Edit - you'll be freaking out when you hear the DIFFERENT voices for GPS next - "I'm driving down the road, then suddenly its a MANS voice instead of a WOMAN - WTF I haven't touched the options!?!?" :lol:

Why are you being such a dick about it? There's no need to be so patronising.

I've now clocked up 40 hours in the game and I've only had GPS systems during a few hours worth of that play near the start of the game. I put it to you that you're being quite ignorant to write off the possibility of it being a bug. Now I'm not saying it definitely is, but it's obviously happening to somebody else as well so maybe...

That's... not... the... problem...

I don't see the issue really. You know you can buy some cars that are the same model but from have gps in them, some don't. Maybe that's what they were going for- not really a big deal though. Although it would screw up consistency if you relied on certain models.

Okay, okay.

This isn't worth getting upset about.

It's a tiny point, but there's a bug relating to the GPS voice that a few people have encountered but which most people haven't, which seems to be difficult to explain properly without you having seen it for yourself.