GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I give up.

I'm obviously not explaining the problem clearly enough.

Erm, excuse me?

I can tell you 100% that it isn't anything to do with the cars I'm driving like some people have said. I steal loads of the BMW type vehicles and at one point I would always get the GPS system working and then one day it just didn't anymore. In fact I even used to get a GPS system in some cars that were only half decent.

So if I'm missing something completely obvious then fair enough, but otherwise, please enlighten me...

Ok let me put it this way:

Algorithm for deciding if freshly stolen car has voiced GPS:

If car type = (one of the ones that can have it), roll dice

If dice roll = 1, enable female GPS voice

If dice roll = 2, enable male GPS voice

Else, No GPS voice

I'm saying rather than a BUG, you guys are literally just being unlucky in how frequently you get them. That's kinda what happens with random numbers. :(

Also - though I'm being a dick, I'm only kidding, sheesh :lol:

You don't need to be on foot to get the 4* escape achievement but for me, using a Pay and Spray didn't work. It was a tough achi to get, but I eventually outran the fuzz in Manhattan, or whatever it's called.

I'm crap at driving in this game. Really bad. It took me six attempts to win Brucie's race mission. But, having said that, I got my 5* escape achievement in Bohan of all places, with it's smaller amount of nice straight roads (great for getting out of the police search zone). Not only that, but, midway through the cahse and despite being boxed in by SWAT vans and cop cars on all sides I managed to uzi the occupants of an FBI car and steal it. That's the one in my Grand Turismo photo a few pages back.

I impressed myself with that escape, but have sicne gone back to sucking so badly that the follow

the train

mission took me 5 goes :lol:

I don't see the issue really. You know you can buy some cars that are the same model but from have gps in them, some don't. Maybe that's what they were going for- not really a big deal though. Although it would screw up consistency if you relied on certain models.

The thing is is hasn't bothered me in the slightest, I don't necessarily want the GPS system. And I also recognise that certain cars wont have it. It just seemed strange that near the start of the game 90% of the cars I got into had it (even if they weren't that great) and then after another 35 hours worth of play I haven't come across it again once.

Do some people not recognise that that might be seen as a bug?

The thing is is hasn't bothered me in the slightest, I don't necessarily want the GPS system. And I also recognise that certain cars wont have it. It just seemed strange that near the start of the game 90% of the cars I got into had it (even if they weren't that great) and then after another 35 hours worth of play I haven't come across it again once.

Do some people not recognise that that might be seen as a bug?

I've not noticed the same thing. Not certainly that most cars at the start of the game had it and then later most didn't. The odd decent car I get into has it and the others don't- I guess it's a bug if you notice it and it's there. I certaintly didn't. It surely can't be a bug if its not in every copy though- must be a random thing that's gone really one way for you guys.

These tales of hour long chases with police make me think my copy is broken. I've never had trouble getting away even with 4 and 5 stars. Keeping your eye on the radar and turning down streets away from the police means the edge of the circle comes in no time.

These tales of hour long chases with police make me think my copy is broken. I've never had trouble getting away even with 4 and 5 stars. Keeping your eye on the radar and turning down streets away from the police means the edge of the circle comes in no time.

I think it's exaggerated. Longest chase I've had before losing em is prob 8-10 mins on 4 stars.

If your copy is broken, then your advice won't help anyone with a working copy. :lol:

I guess I can put it down to getting a 4 star rating early on and being shit at the game at the time. No matter, I enjoyed the hell out of it. And as Uzi said, I may have exaggerated a bit!

I think it's exaggerated. Longest chase I've had before losing em is prob 8-10 mins on 4 stars.

Ditto, including a good few minutes halfway through trying to find out, via the use of weapons, if Liberty City PD really does have an infinite supply of recruits...They've sure got more bobbies than I've got bullets.

Found some 'nades last night. Went to bed before I could use them. Thought I'd save myself that treat for tonight. What should I blow up first? Something amusing. Reckon I can lob a pineapple into a train carriage?

Can't get my missus to show the slightest interest at all, but my daughters absolutely love it.

There's actually a big long post in this (or maybe a blog post), which I can't be bothered to type up at the moment, but previously I avoided GTA games precisely because I like to play games at home with my kids. I changed my mind with this one, and I'm finding playing it with the kids to be a surprisingly positive 'parenting' experience, as it's led to a lot of discussion about the difference between reality and fantasy, what satire is, what they're allowed to say in real life, talking about crime and criminals etc. And a lot of laughs at their impressions of Brucie et al.

Lets hope they don't gun down their classmates, eh? :lol:

Heh heh. I took a helicopter over the forbidden third island, and then kinda hovered around until the achievement popped up, after which I plummeted deliberately and ignobly to my death.

I think I'll be using something along the lines of your method for the 4* one though, as you need to stay alive to claim your prize.

Do the 4 star one the fun way, go to the airport runway then get a good chase on from there.

Also, I've found 3 free grenades in Algonquin (near all the flashing lights) :lol:

I guess I can put it down to getting a 4 star rating early on and being shit at the game at the time.

I have problems getting away from the old bill with 4 stars - and I too have attributed it to me being shit. I have tried to take things easy, plan where I will go by pausing and checking the map.

But having the fucking police pop-up infront of me just as I am about to clear the radius - where according to the map and mini-map there were none is driving me fucking insane - the game has been shelved and if it is no better when I return to it after LO then it's getting traded. :lol:

Has anybody been inside the statue of Happiness yet ?

Yep.

Niko walked through the doorway, then came straight back out wearing a souvenir t-shirt. I was hoping I could climb up inside it and look out.

Yep.

Niko walked through the doorway, then came straight back out wearing a souvenir t-shirt. I was hoping I could climb up inside it and look out.

Not that. There is something inside it, that will shock and amaze you.

It has a heart