GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

Of all my 360 games this one is making my Falcon rather noisy. It got to the point were it became a major distraction for me in the cutscenes. A lot - probably most of them if not all - only contain dialogue and having to sit there and listen to the noise from the DVD drive is just too much for me. My other games have given me no problems with noise from my Falcon. It's only with GTA IV. I suspect it's because the game doesn't cache any data to the HDD, that the DVD drive has to spin at full speed at all times while running this game.

Anyway, I managed to borrow a PS3 copy again, and after fiddling with the colour, brightness and saturation options I managed to get the game to look pretty damn good on my SDTV. Better than the 360 version looks too and I began to notice some interesting things about the graphics - and I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before in the thread. There's no question that the PS3 version looks best. It looks as if it has some sort of extra layer of graphics stuff going on, on the screen and the colours and the glow just makes it look really, really good.

Hooked up another TV to my 360 and ran both versions side by side. Not to check out the graphics but to check out the loading times. I wrote earlier that I thought there was no difference and that the 360 loaded faster in the stores. This turns out not to be the case. Both versions have the same loading times when browsing through clothes and such, but the PS3 has way faster loading during the game. Every time a cutscene loads, the 360 takes a fair amount of time to load it. The PS3 loads it almost instantly. Taking cab rides, the 360 loads a bit slow, but the PS3 loads the next section almost immediately too. Very nice.

Interestingly, when in a car and you push up on the left stick to look a bit farther ahead, there's a little delay on the 360 version before the camera goes over the car. On the PS3 version the camera lifts at once. Don't know why that is. Pressing the right stick to lift the camera, seemed the same on both versions. There was only a difference with the left stick. I only use the left stick to lift the camera when driving a car so I prefer it that the camera goes up immediately.

On Nico's clothes there is better bump mapping (or whatever it is) which makes his character look better graphically on the PS3 version. On the 360 his clothes have a bit of a flat look to them. This goes for the graphics overall on the 360 version. It looks very good and runs smoothly, but it is nowhere near as detailed as it is on the PS3. A friend commented that the 360 version looks a bit like how San Andreas looks on the 360. I haven't seen San Andreas recently so I can't comment on that.

I still think that the 360 version sometimes runs a little smoother when driving around, but I'm not completely sure about it. I much prefer playing this on the PS3 though so I - once again - swapped the 360 one for a PS3 version (thank God for having a friend in the shop). I have to start over on the PS3 version of course, but I don't really mind it since I just love playing this game.

I'm really curious but does anyone here have a female partner that is enjoying watching or even playing the game? What are the girls making of it basically?

Mine is usually reading when I play but she did remark "what the fuck are you doing" the other night as I paid for my 3rd private dance and it became a 3 way affair :lol:

edit : Good post Ottoka - you're at least getting moderately more subtle :( but your post is about a week late now and people already know which is the better version.

GTA IV PS3 patch due today

Rockstar and Sony plans to patch the PS3 version of Grand Theft Auto IV today to improve the multiplayer experience.

Speaking to Eurogamer, a Sony source explained that the patch would help by "reducing the loads on the servers at GameSpy and hopefully the completely random hangs that some users have seen".

PS3 owners who bought GTA IV last week have had to endure problems connecting to the multiplayer service almost from day one.

What's more, some reported random crashes, for which Rockstar suggested that erasing game data and reinstalling as a possible solution.

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=137406

Fucking finally.

Do the 4 star one the fun way, go to the airport runway then get a good chase on from there.

That does sound like a fun thing to do regardless of whether it results in the achievement or not.

I'm not sure what it is about this iteration of the franchise, but I find that I don't have such a cavalier attitude towards the lives of the NPCs - not once in IV have I deliberately sped up a crowded pavement simply to see how long I could get the bloody red tire marks to stretch for. I think this attitude has stopped me from messing about with the cops as much as I would have in previous games.

Going for the fly under bridges achievement but I seem to be missing a bridge. Is there one that most people had a problem finding?

I think - I haven't done it yet, but I'm the same as you with one left - my housemate managed it by flying under one of the bridges on the third island, it's just you have to go under a very particular spot. From what I remember, it's a big bridge, with a freeway on top. And it's right near the other 2 or three that are obvious on the last island.

Doesn't it show you where the bridges are when you fly under one?

It didn't for me, but I remember someone else saying this in here somewhere... Do you have to fly quite high to get the markers to appear or something?

I'm not sure what it is about this iteration of the franchise, but I find that I don't have such a cavalier attitude towards the lives of the NPCs - not once in IV have I deliberately sped up a crowded pavement simply to see how long I could get the bloody red tire marks to stretch for. I think this attitude has stopped me from messing about with the cops as much as I would have in previous games.

Yeah I'm feeling that way too which is weird considering mounting the pavement and taking out bums should be so much better with the Euphoria animation etc.

Still, I've done it a few times and it cracks me up, especially with the cinematic cam and slow-mo :lol:

It didn't for me, but I remember someone else saying this in here somewhere... Do you have to fly quite high to get the markers to appear or something?

When you fly under a bridge, press start just as the message "x out xx bridges left" appears. The bridges that are still left will be marked on your map. Of course, if you only have one bridge left then you're fucked.

I did a couple of pages back.

I am sure they are marked as "trophies" or something.

The main group of them are just the obvious bridges between the islands.

Its the last four in a straight line at the bottom left of Alderney(? third island) thats a bit shitty as one is retardedly low to the water

Yep, I was right, the one I'm missing is the very bottom left one on that map, even thought I've definitely flown under it - its obviously a bit more picky on what counts as 'under' it! :lol:

I didnt say it was, I said its combat is. its far worse because you cant change your stance from left to right handed, the aim reticule moves position when you pop out of cover, the camera locks into position under cover and can be difficult to reposition in a hurry, the main character is less responsive, you cant break animation sequences so you get locked into certain death sometimes...

I really could go on

Perhaps but what are the actual consequences there? Once you've locked into cover, you're pretty much unstoppable, if you time your shots correctly.

If anything, the game is too easy, and the cover system is the main reason for that.

I've had the game on for about 12 hours, inc multiplayer, and I'm not off the first Island!

Good stuff, love the MP.

Got stuck on the "Kill Faust" mission. Seem to get taken down quite quickly in the club/getting out. Think I need to re-try with armour.

But, alas, work calls. And so, to another time my friends...

Yeah I'm feeling that way too which is weird considering mounting the pavement and taking out bums should be so much better with the Euphoria animation etc.

Still, I've done it a few times and it cracks me up, especially with the cinematic cam and slow-mo :lol:

I was driving around in the middle of the night with a prostitute trying to find a secluded spot, and decided on a dingy grassy area below the expressway. As I pulled in, the car went over something, and I realised I'd squashed a bum sleeping on the grass.

I also saw another bum-like character chattering away who I wanted to give money too. I went over and realised he was talking to himself and had a saucepan on his head.

One thing that struck me about the game is that there are no 'name' actors in the cast. There are a few celebs on the radio stations, but I don't actually recognise any of the actors from the game. I suppose Rockstar don't really need them this time round, and Sam Houser's comments from the Edge interview imply that they had bad experiences with famous actors in the past (i.e. Ray Liotta).

It's a bit of a shame, as the celebs really added to previous games – pretty much everyone in Vice City was excellent, especially Danny Dyer, Dennis Hopper and Liotta – but I guess it fitted the cartoon hedonism of Vice City much better than it fits the quasi-realism of GTA4.

Actually, there's Ricky Gervais, but he's a bit shit. Phil Collins was much better in Vice City Stories.

One thing that struck me about the game is that there are no 'name' actors in the cast. There are a few celebs on the radio stations, but I don't actually recognise any of the actors from the game. I suppose Rockstar don't really need them this time round, and Sam Houser's comments from the Edge interview imply that they had bad experiences with famous actors in the past (i.e. Ray Liotta).

It's a bit of a shame, as the celebs really added to previous games – pretty much everyone in Vice City was excellent, especially Danny Dyer, Dennis Hopper and Liotta – but I guess it fitted the cartoon hedonism of Vice City much better than it fits the quasi-realism of GTA4.

Actually, there's Ricky Gervais, but he's a bit shit. Phil Collins was much better in Vice City Stories.

Yeah, I was surprised when I looked through the cast and didn't see one name I recognised. It doesn't matter, as the voice acting is almost universally excellent. Nonetheless, if would be great to hear some famous voice - Peter Weller or something - pop up.