GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

One thing that struck me about the game is that there are no 'name' actors in the cast. There are a few celebs on the radio stations, but I don't actually recognise any of the actors from the game. I suppose Rockstar don't really need them this time round, and Sam Houser's comments from the Edge interview imply that they had bad experiences with famous actors in the past (i.e. Ray Liotta).

What did Liotta do?

Yeah, I was surprised when I looked through the cast and didn't see one name I recognised. It doesn't matter, as the voice acting is almost universally excellent. Nonetheless, if would be great to hear some famous voice - Peter Weller or something - pop up.

Apparently the guy who does the voice of Francis is an ex seaman in the US Navy, who earned a Medal of Honour and...

... died in 1904

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Niko_Bellic#Francis_McReary

One thing that struck me about the game is that there are no 'name' actors in the cast. There are a few celebs on the radio stations, but I don't actually recognise any of the actors from the game. I suppose Rockstar don't really need them this time round, and Sam Houser's comments from the Edge interview imply that they had bad experiences with famous actors in the past (i.e. Ray Liotta).

There is an actor on one of the radio shows who really is made to sound like a cock in his description of how 'tough' acting is, which having read the Houser interview in Edge I take to be a direct comment on Liotta's behaviour when they were making Vice City.

EDIT: What about the 'name' DJs though? That's an amazing list. Karl Lagerfeld on K109 or whatever it is, for fuck's sake! Mind you, he pisses me off by cutting off the end of 'Dancer'.

It's a bit of a shame, as the celebs really added to previous games – pretty much everyone in Vice City was excellent, especially Danny Dyer, Dennis Hopper and Liotta – but I guess it fitted the cartoon hedonism of Vice City much better than it fits the quasi-realism of GTA4.

Actually, there's Ricky Gervais, but he's a bit shit. Phil Collins was much better in Vice City Stories.

See I really understood what Houser was on about when he said he wanted no-name actors for the main cast, as I also find they drag me out of the experience a bit, I can't really explain why, it just does :lol:

Oh and on the subject of celebs in the game - are there only two stand up comics? I seem to remember a whole bunch of spoilered names in the run up to the game's release

Ive been searching google for several minutes and cant seem to find anything about Liotta being an arse when it came to Vice City. Even Wiki doesnt have anything. Is it all lies? :lol:

All that happened was he said something like "Oh the GTA game's really successful? I should've asked for more money lolz"

Three Leaf Clover:

That was epic, but annoying. Has Synch done it yet? I think his head would explode. It's only annoying for lack of checkpoints - I died about four times, including by walkign into a moving train, and I couldn't escape from the cops twice. Still an awesome mission, though. I love throwing grenades at cop cars.

Three Leaf Clover:

That was epic, but annoying. Has Synch done it yet? I think his head would explode. It's only annoying for lack of checkpoints - I died about four times, including by walkign into a moving train, and I couldn't escape from the cops twice. Still an awesome mission, though. I love throwing grenades at cop cars.

I'm sure TLC is rigged to make it a little easier than if you had that many cops after you in a normal Wanted scenario. I checked my health after leaving the bank and making it through a couple of alleyways, and I'd only lost about 15% of my armour, despite getting stick into the cops and moving through the open. Maybe they are made deliberately bad shots in this mission to make it a bit easier-going.

I'm sure TLC is rigged to make it a little easier than if you had that many cops after you in a normal Wanted scenario. I checked my health after leaving the bank and making it through a couple of alleyways, and I'd only lost about 15% of my armour, despite getting stick into the cops and moving through the open. Maybe they are made deliberately bad shots in this mission to make it a bit easier-going.

I think that is a massive nod to Heat. In the movie they are surrounded by shit loads of police and pretty much manage to avoid most of the gunfire at first.

It's in the Edge article on GTA, though I don't recall the exact words.

From memory they don't say he was an arse so much as say that it felt more like you were playing as Ray Llotta instead of Tommy Vercetti.

Three Leaf Clover:

Hmm - I did fail a couple of times, but that was because that mission was where I finally discovered that there were healthpacks/armour to just pick up in lots of places. <facepalm @ self> Once I realised I could hunt for items, I didn't fail it again.

I think that is a massive nod to Heat. In the movie they are surrounded by shit loads of police and pretty much manage to avoid most of the gunfire at first.

I dunno - Heat seems very realistic. The robbers get the first shots in and all have assault rifles. The regular cops who set up roadblocks have pansy handguns and shotties, and get suppressed by Kilmer and De Niro shooting the shit out of them and covering each other as they move. There are only a couple of detectives with decent range weapons who are after them.

It's certainly not like the start of the action in TLC, where there a bunch of cop cars right outside the front door of the bank!

OK, this is fucking retarded.

I'm standing on a rooftop across from a dealer's house. There's been a short cutscene showing clearly that there's a phone in your line of fire and it displays the number for like a second.

I can see the phone with the sniper rifle but it's JUST not legible. JUST. After ages of waiting, Francis just gave me the number... I mean Jesus fucking Christ, why is it not designed so the number is visible. Worst thing is, when I dial the number he gets called by someone ELSE, his girl apparently, instead... so what? I didn't need to phone him anyway? Cunt off. Yet another example of what could be a reasonable mission, made totally stupid and pointless by a designer who hasn't got a fucking clue.

Alternatively

shoot the satellite dish on the wall messing up his TV picture making him get off his seat and into your line of fire.

There is an actor on one of the radio shows who really is made to sound like a cock in his description of how 'tough' acting is, which having read the Houser interview in Edge I take to be a direct comment on Liotta's behaviour when they were making Vice City.

EDIT: What about the 'name' DJs though? That's an amazing list. Karl Lagerfeld on K109 or whatever it is, for fuck's sake! Mind you, he pisses me off by cutting off the end of 'Dancer'.

I mentioned the name DJs. And what names they are! Roy Ayers, Femi Kuti, Iggy Pop, Francois K etc. They're all playing themselves though, presumably in keeping with Sam Houser's slightly weird concerns over whether or not people are confused by playing as Ray Liotta.

The Ray Liotta story is that Houser mentioned in the Edge interview that he didn't like Liotta's attitude after Vice City was a big success; he thought he was belittling the game by saying he should have asked for more money, implying he didn't care about his performance. Houser also mentioned that sometimes Liotta would turn up to the recording "in a really dark place mentally, and be unable to work" which in my experience is actor-speak for "paralytically drunk/hungover/generally can't be arsed", and implies he was a bit prima donna-ish about what basically amounts to being paid MAD DOLLARS for standing in front of a microphone and reading some words from a piece of paper.

I mentioned the name DJs. And what names they are! Roy Ayers, Femi Kuti, Iggy Pop, Francois K etc. They're all playing themselves though, presumably in keeping with Sam Houser's slightly weird concerns over whether or not people are confused by playing as Ray Liotta.

The Ray Liotta story is that Houser mentioned in the Edge interview that he didn't like Liotta's attitude after Vice City was a big success; he thought he was belittling the game by saying he should have asked for more money, implying he didn't care about his performance. Houser also mentioned that sometimes Liotta would turn up to the recording "in a really dark place mentally, and be unable to work" which in my experience is actor-speak for "paralytically drunk/hungover/generally can't be arsed", and implies he was a bit prima donna-ish about what basically amounts to being paid MAD DOLLARS for standing in front of a microphone and reading some words from a piece of paper.

Could Houser have not put "he's a twat" and had done?

three leaf clover....

i think this was my favourate mission of the whole game! could be because heat is one of my fav movies ever... I did it 1st time and what a rush it was. i used the carbine but kinda use it as a single shot, just tapping the trigger. much more accurate that way. I wish i could go back and do that mission again!