GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I would love them to include a jetpack with any DLC maybe with the proviso you can't use it until you have done the main story. It was by far the best way of exploring the city in San Andreas. I know I'll get bored of trying to search every alleyway on foot, and a helicopter just isn't the same.

Also, isn't it a bit odd that if one of your friends gets injured, phoning an ambulance does bugger all? Roman has been run over a few times while drunk and if I call an ambulance it just drives off after complaining there is no accident to attend.

I've always wanted that in a GTA game. When someone said earlier that the phone lets you retry missions, I thought it meant any mission you've done up to that point. For some reason I always had an urge to do the punishingly difficult remote control plane one from SA again.

Also, isn't it a bit odd that if one of your friends gets injured, phoning an ambulance does bugger all? Roman has been run over a few times while drunk and if I call an ambulance it just drives off after complaining there is no accident to attend.

I did that and the paramdeic wallet raped me due to my low health and left Roman lying there on the ground :)

I only managed to resolve it by going back to the flat and saving which advanced the game by 6 hours and Roman called me from the hospital to pick him up.

I love that FOV thing when you look up, it looks amazing when you do it near some high buildings.

What's handbrake cam? I've seen it in the option but I have no idea what it does.

Is that FOV thing intentional then?! I thought it was just a method used to make the world load faster or something.

Half Life 2 definately didn't have it, whichever direction you looked in HL2 looked 'right', not all curvy and shit.

I did that and the paramdeic wallet raped me due to my low health and left Roman lying there on the ground :)

I only managed to resolve it by going back to the flat and saving which advanced the game by 6 hours and Roman called me from the hospital to pick him up.

Whenever your friends are injured, they always disappear pretty much instantly and then call you to collect them from the hospital shortly after.

Half Life 2 definately didn't have it, whichever direction you looked in HL2 looked 'right', not all curvy and shit.

Half Life 2 had a strange FOV, in that a lot of people got motion sickness from it because of the viewing angle.

I can't for the life of me fathom why, I never suffered from it but a lot of people did, so I guess it was a valid issue.

Is that FOV thing intentional then?! I thought it was just a method used to make the world load faster or something.

It's obviously intentional. It's to make you feel like you're looking up at tall buildings.

Sigh.

I want to rant, but I can't be arsed. A lot of people seem to need everything explained to them when it comes to this game.. Poor Rockstar :)

How do you hail a cab? I keep stealing them by accident. :)

There's a button you press which makes him whistle for a cab, after which - if they're empty - the cab driver will pull over, if there's someone inside just sprint up as fast as you can and hold down the normal button for him to forcefully pull out whoever was riding in it (this doesn't appear to be illegal in the context of the game).

Anyone else taken to shooting drivers in the face for giggles?

I love it when I snipe a driver of an SUV and watch them slump on the wheel, horn blaring, foot on the accelerator, becoming one huge steel box of death hurtling towards the nearest crowd of pedestrians.

Never gets old :)

It's obviously intentional. It's to make you feel like you're looking up at tall buildings.

No, it makes you feel like you're in a computer game with dodgy geometry in the distance.

San Andreas didn't have that effect and it looked fine in the distance. I can't actually believe it's intentional. Rockstar should have spent less time on things like the FOV wackiness and more on making cars that could steer and brake at the same fucking time.

(",) - "hullo"

Anyone else taken to shooting drivers in the face for giggles?

I love it when I snipe a driver of an SUV and watch them slump on the wheel, horn blaring, foot on the accelerator, becoming one huge steel box of death hurtling towards the nearest crowd of pedestrians.

Never gets old :)

Yeah, doing that was fun in San Andreas too, four years ago.

Sigh.

I want to rant, but I can't be arsed. A lot of people seem to need everything explained to them when it comes to this game.. Poor Rockstar :(

Well said, I really like that effect when looking up at the buildings, especially in Time Square.

BTW dood, any closer to getting those pigeons so you can get your hands on the almighty missle equipped helicopter? I only have 30 left now :)

If you're having trouble with them there is an awesome guide on GamesRadar detailing in specifics where to find each and every one.

making cars that could steer and brake at the same fucking time.

This is intentional trolling, right?

Have you ever driven a car, chase? Do you brake as you go around corners?

The handling is incredible in this game. I'm still taming it and improving after 30 hours, which is frankly brilliant.

Also, while you're here, there's an achievement on the 360 version to beat a developer on the game. Developers on the game, choosing the 360 version over the PS3 one. Thankyou goodnight.

The handling is incredible in this game. I'm still taming it and improving after 30 hours, which is frankly brilliant.

Also, while you're here, there's an achievement on the 360 version to beat a developer on the game. Developers on the game, choosing the 360 version over the PS3 one. Thankyou goodnight.

LOL

Agree on the car handling. Theres fuck all wrong with it, infact, its fucking quality.

He can't drive yet he's only 12 remember.

Perhaps but what are the actual consequences there? Once you've locked into cover, you're pretty much unstoppable, if you time your shots correctly.

If anything, the game is too easy, and the cover system is the main reason for that.

its not the difficulty I have a problem with, its simply the level of satisfaction i get from the controls. those other games make the combat much more satisfying to me

Sure it is. I guess everyone who says something anti-GTA4 is trolling, yes? Oh, and before the game came out everyone who hyped it up was trolling? This, what I'm doing now, making fun of you, belittling you, for specific factual errors that you make, is the closest I'll ever come to trolling on this forum.

You know what libel is, Tim? It's when specific defamation is written down (as opposed to slander, which is spoken) and in the UK, if someone thinks that what you wrote about them is damaging, the onus will be on you to prove that your comments are true. In other words, if you make the claim, you've got to prove it. And if you can prove it - i.e., it's true, then it's not libel.

I'm mentioning this because it relates conceptually to what we're talking about. If you say something stupid or idiotic then you're gonna get called out on it and it's not trolling for me to do so - since I can show that I'm speaking the truth. When I say the game is not perfect, then the forum knows that's true and nothing you say can convince them otherwise. When Okotta says he's playing the game a few weeks before release, then we can rightfully insult his parentage because he's indirectly asked us to. When I say that it's annoying for a cops'n'robbers game like this to have ultra-realistic handling, when just about every one of it's predecessors, GTA or Driver or Saints Row or otherwise, has had fun, arcade-like, powersliding, movie-like handling, then you've just gotta accept it.

Calling it trolling is just admitting you have no retort.

And this here is what we call a logical fallacy. Just because Rockstar devs have played the 360 version, you're assuming that they don't play the PS3 version. Capish?

I'll look forward to teaching you more about the intricacies of life as you get older. :)

ooh and by the way, i played the game in standard def today and the framerate is much much smoother than in HD. so much so that i'm gonna play in SD for a while and see if I prefer the improved smoothness over the loss of definition

Sure it is. I guess everyone who says something anti-GTA4 is trolling, yes? Oh, and before the game came out everyone who hyped it up was trolling? This, what I'm doing now, making fun of you, belittling you, for specific factual errors that you make, is the closest I'll ever come to trolling on this forum.

You know what libel is, Tim? It's when specific defamation is written down (as opposed to slander, which is spoken) and in the UK, if someone thinks that what you wrote about them is damaging, the onus will be on you to prove that your comments are true. In other words, if you make the claim, you've got to prove it. And if you can prove it - i.e., it's true, then it's not libel.

I'm mentioning this because it relates conceptually to what we're talking about. If you say something stupid or idiotic then you're gonna get called out on it and it's not trolling for me to do so - since I can show that I'm speaking the truth. When I say the game is not perfect, then the forum knows that's true and nothing you say can convince them otherwise. When Okotta says he's playing the game a few weeks before release, then we can rightfully insult his parentage because he's indirectly asked us to. When I say that it's annoying for a cops'n'robbers game like this to have ultra-realistic handling, when just about every one of it's predecessors, GTA or Driver or Saints Row or otherwise, has had fun, arcade-like, powersliding, movie-like handling, then you've just gotta accept it.

And this here is what we call a logical fallacy. Just because Rockstar devs have played the 360 version, you're assuming that they don't play the PS3 version. Capish?

I'll look forward to teaching you more about the intricacies of life as you get older. :)

But chase, asking for a car that can turn while braking is moronic. Cars cant turn while braking because their wheels lock. the car handling is SO much better now than its ever been.

Also, my girlfriend works at rockstar and on release day they were all given special editions free. Staff could choose whichever version they wanted. they gave out 39 360 versions and 1 PS3 version.

Except for the retort I followed the statement with? Did you read what I wrote after my first line or were you too busy loading up the basic law page at wikipedia?

I guess the proof offered in kerraig's post backs me up a little, too.

Thanks for the time you put into that post, though. I've learnt a lot.

I think the main issue* with the car handling is that, while the vehicles have a definite feeling of mass and inertia - hitting a wall at 80mph feels how you'd expect - they also have a strange low-gravity floatiness, which results in the sensation that the roads are covered in ice with the cars doing crazy side swipes and spins if you don't adjust your driving accordingly. This is most likely a necessity to enable the crazy stunts and crashes that abound throughout the game. If the cars had a realistic 1G sensation about them, they'd rarely leave the ground and unique stunts would come off as pretty mundane and disappointing.

The bikes are the best illustration of the effect, often leaping several feet into the air when you hit a small bump at 10mph or so.

* Not really an issue when you adjust to the way it works.

Finished it last night around 2 odd in the morning with a playtime of 25 hours and 36 minutes. That last mission though :)

I thought about just listening to Roman and doing the deal but I already had well over $800k at the time and that Russian fucker needed to be dead. Besides, its not like anything ever happens with Kate anyway so its just as well the bitch died

I think the main issue* with the car handling is that, while the vehicles have a definite feeling of mass and inertia - hitting a wall at 80mph feels how you'd expect - they also have a strange low-gravity floatiness, which results in the sensation that the roads are covered in ice with the cars doing crazy side swipes and spins if you don't adjust your driving accordingly. This is most likely a necessity to enable the crazy stunts and crashes that abound throughout the game. If the cars had a realistic 1G sensation about them, they'd rarely leave the ground and unique stunts would come off as pretty mundane and disappointing.

The bikes are the best illustration of the effect, often leaping several feet into the air when you hit a small bump at 10mph or so.

* Not really an issue when you adjust to the way it works.

Feathering the throttle works wonders for controllability.