GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I thought about just listening to Roman and doing the deal but I already had well over $800k at the time and that Russian fucker needed to be dead. Besides, its not like anything ever happens with Kate anyway so its just as well the bitch died

Kate only ever annoyed me. I'm not so sure Rockstar judged that one very well, I ignored her and pissed her off as much as I possibly could. I mean, come on, she's ginger. The alternate ending would have hit home much harder.

If you say something stupid or idiotic then you're gonna get called out on it and it's not trolling for me to do so - since I can show that I'm speaking the truth.

I'll look forward to teaching you more about the intricacies of life as you get older. :)

Chase. Your words previous to release were ignornant, uniformed, idiotic hype-laden trash that deserve no place in the world.

So why did you say them?

Any tips for Packie's

'waste not want knots' mission?

I mean, it's the easiest mission in the world, but one of the Irish guys always dies because they're so fucking stupid. The mission would be a one-attempter with no hits taken if Niko went alone and I can't ever be bothered to retry because of the massive un-taxi-able drive before the mission starts. Please don't tell me I have to retry over and over again until the Irish guys happen to survive... there's no way I can protect them either because if I'm anywhere near them they jump in front of my fire.

Once again though, I would've done it by now (within 10 mins of my first try realistically) if the retry option actually put me at the start of the mission and not at the start of the drive previous to it, which just makes me immediately turn the console off on principle.

I guess my question is, is there any way I can just tell the guys to stay behind and let me do the mission alone? Like you could in GTA:SA and Saints Row? And if not, why not?

I don't want to scare monger and i haven't looked but using

www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com doesn't stop you getting acheivments does it....like the phone code cheats do>?

No because it's just a website on the in-game internet that lists all those phone numbers, lol.

Okay, so that mission where you have to snipe someone and you can call their phone:

I agree with the original complaint. The phone number is juuuust not quite legible. When the opening cutscene showed the phone number in closeup I thought, "I'm going to have to call this number. Remember it -- it's 545-555... shit, it's gone! What was it? Shit!" So I was annoyed to see that the texture was just slightly too pixelated to read properly, when you use the sniper scope.

(But perhaps there's a difference between 360 and PS3 here? The PS3 has slightly cleaner textures, because the 360 has a weird grainy/meshy effect.)

Anyway, some people would have had the brains to notice that the mission design offers you alternatives. But not me. The way I saw it, the cutscene had made such a big deal of the phone number closeup, it was like being told: "This is the way you do it."

After all, there are plenty of other missions where your lateral thinking gets you nowhere, because most missions are scripted with only one correct path. The first third of the game is made of tutorials that teach you one scripted way of doing something. So I can forgive a person for not knowing this specific mission offers choices.

I wish more missions were like that, actually. I wish more missions were like "Hitman lite".

So I just attempted The Snow Storm for the first (and second, and third) time: initially I died spectacularly because I didn't bother with armour, then I tried to run around and take out as many as possible before dying, which was hopeless. Only by going around everywhere incredibly slowly and finding out where the shots were coming from, did I clear out the area.

And then the cops arrived and killed me. :)

You know a problem that all RPG/adventure/free-roam games have, when they use money and shop systems? They reach a point were you have so much money that money is meaningless. The GTA series is no exception.

So inevitably, I think I've reached that point in GTA IV. (I think I'm slightly more than half way through the story.)

The trouble is, Niko is a man totally motivated by earning just enough money to get by. He's not building an crime empire. He's not getting into real estate. He says quite clearly that he's taking missions for the money, and even demands certain amounts sometimes. But now I have a few hundred thousand dollars, the question must be asked: why does Niko still need to work?

So I kind of wish there was something in the game forcing Niko to never accumulate too much money. Perhaps a plotline where he's trying to raise half a million for someone? Or perhaps he has to pay rent on the safehouses each week (imagine if you have to pay $10,000 rent each week, it justifies earning about $12,000 per week through crime. The rest you spend on guns. If you can't pay one day, you have to deal with debt collectors attacking you.)

Just some ideas.

initially I died spectacularly because I didn't bother with armour, then I tried to run around and take out as many as possible before dying, which was hopeless. Only by going around everywhere incredibly slowly and finding out where the shots were coming from, did I clear out the area.

I don't see a problem with this first bit.

If your going to to go into a large building past large burly men with big automatic guns protecting a large stash of coke, then it seems fair then skipping in and stealing the stash and skipping out again will only end in tears.

No because it's just a website on the in-game internet that lists all those phone numbers, lol.

Nah, it shows you where all the hidden stuff is. And no, it doesn't get in the way of achievements (well, it doesn't show up in the 'times cheated' box on the stats page, so I assume it doesn't).

So I just attempted The Snow Storm for the first (and second, and third) time: initially I died spectacularly because I didn't bother with armour, then I tried to run around and take out as many as possible before dying, which was hopeless. Only by going around everywhere incredibly slowly and finding out where the shots were coming from, did I clear out the area.

And then the cops arrived and killed me. :)

Sneak around the back. You only need to kill two or three gangsters to get the coke and the survivors will distract the cops while you escape.

I just did the construction site on free aim with no problems. Actually one of the more enjoyable missions. not sure what people were complaining about.

Also had a race where it let me kill most of the driver son the first lap. Which was aces. never thought it'd have that.

ALSO, you can aim when driving by holding left bumper lightly. it is analogue too remember.

Man, Three Leaf Clover is brilliant, I don't care what Meh says.

There's side-missions that obliterate it. In fact, it's one of the dumbest, shittest missions in the game.

Spoiler for near the end of the game (possibly the very last mission)

Killing Jimmy Pegorino. I just failed for getting in a car and therefore 'abandoning the bike' which I hadn't even got to yet. Jimmy was still sat in the boat just round the corner but was now invincible to all my weapons. Surely one of the testers tried that.

edit: Fail #2 - for apparently destroying my bike which I was quite happily sat on and hadn't crashed once. Bizarre.

edit2: Fail #3 - ok this is a tad annoying now. I did the boring follow the car for 5 minutes again, then killed the crap standing-still AI again, then rode the bike across the sand (muchos fun) again and finally got a missile in the face insta-death about 5 seconds after getting in the chopper.

After failing a maximum of 6-7 times in the entire game up until now this has come as a bit of a kick in the face. The game has rewarded good driving and gunplay pretty much throughout but this mission seems quite a poor way to finish.

You know a problem that all RPG/adventure/free-roam games have, when they use money and shop systems? They reach a point were you have so much money that money is meaningless. The GTA series is no exception.

So inevitably, I think I've reached that point in GTA IV. (I think I'm slightly more than half way through the story.)

The trouble is, Niko is a man totally motivated by earning just enough money to get by. He's not building an crime empire. He's not getting into real estate. He says quite clearly that he's taking missions for the money, and even demands certain amounts sometimes. But now I have a few hundred thousand dollars, the question must be asked: why does Niko still need to work?

So I kind of wish there was something in the game forcing Niko to never accumulate too much money. Perhaps a plotline where he's trying to raise half a million for someone? Or perhaps he has to pay rent on the safehouses each week (imagine if you have to pay $10,000 rent each week, it justifies earning about $12,000 per week through crime. The rest you spend on guns. If you can't pay one day, you have to deal with debt collectors attacking you.)

Just some ideas.

Surely the earning money falls by the wayside of his main objective of exploiting the gangsters to get information relating to the people he's after. Well, that's how I'm roleplaying it anyway. :)

Not bad! (Sorry if posted before).

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Take-Two Interactive Software, Inc. (NASDAQ: TTWO), said today that Grand Theft Auto IV has surpassed all-time entertainment records for day one and week one sales by dollar value. Released on Tuesday, April 29th, Grand Theft Auto IV, the critically acclaimed video game, has sold through to consumers approximately 6 million units globally with an estimated retail value of more than $500 million in the first week. Grand Theft Auto IV sold approximately 3.6 million units on its opening day with a retail value of approximately $310 million globally.