GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

OK, I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but is it just me who thinks it's way too easy to escape from the cops? I just got the 'Walk free' achievement, and it was an absolute piece of piss - there were a couple of exciting moments, but as far as I can tell, once you get out of sight of the cops, it's over. It's a shame, as this is one of the only things I don't like about the game.

OK, I'm pretty sure I've said this before, but is it just me who thinks it's way too easy to escape from the cops? I just got the 'Walk free' achievement, and it was an absolute piece of piss - there were a couple of exciting moments, but as far as I can tell, once you get out of sight of the cops, it's over. It's a shame, as this is one of the only things I don't like about the game.

Yeah I've said it a few times, to be met with disagreement largely. Maybe we're just amazing.

I got the achievement the first time I got four stars, however I think the problem people are having is when you're in more pedestrianised areas, the cops randomly appear as peds (really close to your position) and spot you.

Of course, once I worked out swapping cars actually makes a difference in this game, that problem no longer happened to me :)

You know a problem that all RPG/adventure/free-roam games have, when they use money and shop systems? They reach a point were you have so much money that money is meaningless. The GTA series is no exception.

So inevitably, I think I've reached that point in GTA IV. (I think I'm slightly more than half way through the story.)

The trouble is, Niko is a man totally motivated by earning just enough money to get by. He's not building an crime empire. He's not getting into real estate. He says quite clearly that he's taking missions for the money, and even demands certain amounts sometimes. But now I have a few hundred thousand dollars, the question must be asked: why does Niko still need to work?

So I kind of wish there was something in the game forcing Niko to never accumulate too much money. Perhaps a plotline where he's trying to raise half a million for someone? Or perhaps he has to pay rent on the safehouses each week (imagine if you have to pay $10,000 rent each week, it justifies earning about $12,000 per week through crime. The rest you spend on guns. If you can't pay one day, you have to deal with debt collectors attacking you.)

Just some ideas.

I agree, I could see if it was like Vice City Stories or Vice City and San Andreas where you could buy businesses and safehouses, but there are actually houses in this game that have for sale signs in front of them that you can't even buy

That's not even the most annoying thing though, RE: the end of the game

you don't even get Pegorinos house or anything for killing him off which is shit, the best safehouse you get is Playboy X's

I got the achievement the first time I got four stars, however I think the problem people are having is when you're in more pedestrianised areas, the cops randomly appear as peds (really close to your position) and spot you.

Of course, once I worked out swapping cars actually makes a difference in this game, that problem no longer happens to me :)

I don't even do that. I do brake before corners though!!!

Now I love this game. It's fantastic. I say this before anyone starts shouting at me. Because I hate the missions that require you to drive a bike. Though this might be because I'm shit at them.

Had to chase a pair of gits down a subway tunnel before being splattered by an oncoming train. :)

I also have too much money now (near 50% progress apparently), like $350,000. Armour, toll booths, internet and hotdogs barely make a dent. Ballin'!

Is there actually anything else to spend it on?

I also have too much money now (near 50% progress apparently), like $350,000. Armour, toll booths, internet and hotdogs barely make a dent. Ballin'!

Is there actually anything else to spend it on?

Clothes, healthcare and ringtones (WOW!).

The most I had was $500,000 after finishing the story but now I only have $47,000, I'd say it's due to the amount of times I've died, the hospital take a shit load of money from you!

The most I had was $500,000 after finishing the story but now I only have $47,000, I'd say it's due to the amount of times I've died, the hospital take a shit load of money from you!

Ah yeah, I have the CSI parody ringtone on my phone ("Yeeeeeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!"). Roman should be gambling all of Niko's cash away or something.

How easy is it to make more cash once the main story's been completed?

I'd say it's due to the amount of times I've died, the hospital take a shit load of money from you!

Indeed - I think it's a percentage of your total money though, which is why it gets harsher the more you have.

Free armour:

In addition to the one in the scrap yard in Firefly projects, I've just found a free armour in the NW corner of the graveyard at the north end of colony island.

There is also one on Fortside, on a wooden boardwalk near the water :)

2nd island spoiler:

Playboy's apartment

is a great place to kick off a shootout with the cops. You can see to the road to shoot cars so they pile up, and once the cops start coming you can just run inside.

Err, are you sure about that?

erm yes quite sure. i've done emergency driving (for cheaper car insurance) and one of the things you have to do is try to manouvre while braking heavily. its close to impossible and a 90 degree turn is out of the question.

erm yes quite sure. i've done emergency driving (for cheaper car insurance) and one of the things you have to do is try to manouvre while braking heavily. its close to impossible and a 90 degree turn is out of the question.

Ah yes, and of course the handling in Gran Turismo and Forza is all wrong because they stupidly have cars where the steering doesn't magically lock up if the brakes are applied.

Honestly, some people. Is there even any point debating anything is absurd as this? It's insulting to my intelligence to even bother putting my point across, it's tantamount to trying to convince someone that water is wet.