GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

They could make the DLC a new story from a different character's perspective. Like you're a cop or undercover agent in Liberty City, and maybe Niko's story could crossover or something. They'd have to improve the missions a bit though, and have more penalties for random destruction if you're a 'good' character.

Nah dont agree with that. I'd take not seeing every bit of content if it meant I was more in control of my destiny and suffered less frustration on the way. it would also make talking about the game to mates so much more interesting. "What, no ive never seen that. i never even met that guy cos I chose to side with this guy, but now i've got my own boat" etc.

I want games to get to the point where i'm shaping my destiny rather than controlling tiny little facets of a prescripted drama.

I know what you're saying but, you never will shape your own destiny. The game will just give you a better illusion that you are. :( The talking about bits you've never seen to mates is pretty much irrelevant bar the actual point of the conversation and pretty much a waste of resources of the designers. The problem is really is that we've been given a sandbox since GTA III and now we know what kind of games we are allowed to play in it : ie constraints of missions etc. On playing GTA IV for the first few hours I was completely sucked in with the fact that it was a living breathing world and that it was delivering a VERY interactive cinematic experience. The use of the phone and the email ingame are great ways of softening the tried and tested ways of presenting goals and missions but I reckon its going to be some really clever AI that ever gets away from the core mechanics of presenting a game experience that A) lasts 30 hours and B) has a main story thread.

I've just picked up Heat for £3 today fom Zavvi having read everyones comments about Four Leaf Clover which I finished last night.

Just had a made car chase but cant remember the name of the mission. it was somewhat prescripted (bus on the freeway blocking your path, girders in an alley making it a dead end, but nevertheless it was absolutely exhilirating. that is all.

The girders are the only bit of that that I've seen happen twice; my first go through I had cars on the freeway pulling out in front of me, the second time, not so much.

I'd love an even bigger map than San Andreas, to be honest. Not that I'm unhappy with the size of GTA IV. I just love being miles from anywhere and slightly lost.

The ideal, in my opinion, would be a city on the scale of Liberty surrounded by open countryside and small towns. 90% of the action would be in the built up bit with occasional ventures out into the country, leaving the rest of it for you to explore on your own. Comparing to GTA:SA, I think if they took the west side of the map with the second city, airport, Mount Chiliad from the southwest and the marina town from the northwest. That'd be grand.

Wow. Just wandering around the park, and I'm used to not being able to go into buildings, so I was totally amazed to discover that

you can get inside the natural history museum! Destroying priceless works of art FTW

!

Looked to me as if it was based on the

Royal Museum of Scotland

in Edinburgh. There were Saltires hanging up inside, and of course the

blue whale skellington suspended from the ceiling

Later on, there is a

big gunfight in there

I haven't finished the game yet, I still have missions to do for

Roman, Bell and Jimmy

. But there aren't any mission icons on the map, and haven't been for a while. Am I missing something?

In case anyone else has the same issue, it was a case of the icon for

Phil Bell's second mission (Catch the Wave?)

that wasn't showing up on the map. There was a mission marker out the front of the strip club to activate the mission, but it wasn't shown on the map. Only the icon for the strip club was visible on the map.

Wow. Just wandering around the park, and I'm used to not being able to go into buildings, so I was totally amazed to discover that

you can get inside the natural history museum! Destroying priceless works of art FTW

!

Nice! I'm off there next then! :(

Noooooooo! Just knocked over the 360 because I heard some fucking noise upstairs which turned out to be the wife tripping over the stairgate and my fucking fucking GTA disk is fucked.

:( That 360 DVD drive is a bastard.

Off to scratch-busters it goes. Fingers crossed.

Noooooooo! Just knocked over the 360 because I heard some fucking noise upstairs which turned out to be the wife tripping over the stairgate and my fucking fucking GTA disk is fucked.

:( That 360 DVD drive is a bastard.

Off to scratch-busters it goes. Fingers crossed.

You big gay

:(

It wasn't cos I shat, it was because I thought one of the kids had fallen out of bed or something so I was trying to pause the game, get out of my chair and get my headphones off all at the same time.

Oh you cunt :wub:

I was so emotionally distraught from my disk being knackered, I wasn't thinking straight.

Boil a kettle and stick a load of washing up liquid in a bowl. Let the disc soak for 15 minutes. If the scratch isnt too deep it should do the trick.

I know what you're saying but, you never will shape your own destiny. The game will just give you a better illusion that you are. :wub: The talking about bits you've never seen to mates is pretty much irrelevant bar the actual point of the conversation and pretty much a waste of resources of the designers. The problem is really is that we've been given a sandbox since GTA III and now we know what kind of games we are allowed to play in it : ie constraints of missions etc. On playing GTA IV for the first few hours I was completely sucked in with the fact that it was a living breathing world and that it was delivering a VERY interactive cinematic experience. The use of the phone and the email ingame are great ways of softening the tried and tested ways of presenting goals and missions but I reckon its going to be some really clever AI that ever gets away from the core mechanics of presenting a game experience that A) lasts 30 hours and B) has a main story thread.

I've just picked up Heat for £3 today fom Zavvi having read everyones comments about Four Leaf Clover which I finished last night.

I think thats incredibly naive and short sighted of you. Did you never play Deus ex or way of the samurai? Branching storylines have been in videogames since the commodore 64. I'd be amazed if they didn't make a comeback this gen. its surely the next place to take story related games.

And Way of the Samurai, while I really liked the first one (not as keen on the second one) could afford to be branching because every branch took about an hour and a half if you knew what you were doing. And over all the game was nowhere near as complex as Grand Theft Auto IV where nowhere near as many factors to take into account, hence all the brancing can be neaty summed up in fairly short FAQs

That's a wind-up isn't it

Nope I do it all the time with scratched discs. It removes the top plastic layer thats put on by the factory when the disc is pressed. The layer is useless once scratched so it doesnt matter when you remove it.