GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I think thats incredibly naive and short sighted of you. Did you never play Deus ex or way of the samurai? Branching storylines have been in videogames since the commodore 64. I'd be amazed if they didn't make a comeback this gen. its surely the next place to take story related games.

There is a huge difference between branching storylines and having every character expendable with different layers of subplot.

Just went on a pigeon hunt equipped with a map and some descriptions of locations and fuuuuck was it boring, got to about 20 and I was ready to pass out. Some of them are in really really obscure places too, like you wouldn't find them unless you'd been through the whole game exploring every single tiny cubic centimetre! I'm just reeeaaally hoping i get something good if i get all 200.

I've just picked up Heat for £3 today fom Zavvi having read everyones comments about Four Leaf Clover which I finished last night.

Here's another comment for you. You should have saved your three quid, because Heat is fucking awful. Pacino at his absolute eye-popping hammy worst, a cliched shitty plot, DeNiro sleepwalking his way through the entire film, and the corniest ending since the thumbs-up at the end of Terminator 2. The shootout scene is quite good though.

Enjoy!

Here's another comment for you. You should have saved your three quid, because Heat is fucking awful. Pacino at his absolute eye-popping hammy worst, a cliched shitty plot, DeNiro sleepwalking his way through the entire film, and the corniest ending since the thumbs-up at the end of Terminator 2. The shootout scene is quite good though.

Enjoy!

Ok, my initial enthusiasm is waning somewhat. That biker mission, very early on in the game, not particularly difficult if you remember the (somewhat archaic) way they design the missions* was completed but just served to remind me what I fucking detested about GTA and bike handling. The streets are too tightly packed and small to not fall off repeatedly and lose loads of energy, so you have to go and get some body armour first, which means traipsing to the gun shop because I haven't found the back alley where there's one. I just think this is one more nail in the gaming coffin for this monkey. The long and short is I can't be fucking bothered repeating a mission ove rand over and over and over because I hit a car that decides to pull in front of me for no reason and send me flying and therefore losing the fucking dipshit I'm tailing only to send me RIGHT BACK TO THE FUCKING BEGINNING OF THE FUCKING MISSION.

God I'm in a bad mood.

*Can't catch up to him easily? Emptied an entire machine gun into him and he's still alive? Oh, right, you must have to follow him. Great :wub:

There is a huge difference between branching storylines and having every character expendable with different layers of subplot.

but i'm not talking about that. I'm saying that mission critical characters should just have their storylines designed so that they are never put in danger, that a mission should only fail if you die or get arrested, and not that the story should branch neccessarily, but that the individual missions should. Each mission that people complain about on here has an incredibly easy fix to take it from disappointing/frustrating to brilliant/evolutionary.

I dont think theres a single person actually defending the staple gamepl;ay elements of "you failed cos an NPC died" or "that guy your chasing got away" or "this guy is invincible until you reach a certain point" or "the car you strategically parked has disappeared after the cutscene" or "you have to be standing in a preset position to begin the firefight". So obviously these are gameplay mechanics of a bygone era that we really should be trying to push behind us.

I also think gamer OCD is holding back the advancement of games too. The whole "have to see all the content" and "have to get 100%" mentality means that designers dont want to waste time making missions that the gamer might not see. Well guess what, they do that ANYWAY. Of the 6 million people that have already bought GTA, how many people do you think will make it to the end of the story? I know 3 casuals already who just wanna drive around and shoot shit. my brother is bored of the story, as is my next door neighbour. What was that survey a few years ago about game completion? wasn't it something like 20% of gamers see the games through to completion? Even something as short as Half life 2 episode 1 got abandoned by a massive amount of gamers due to the section in the lift. And thats a PC game with owners who know how to use steam. i.e. GAMERS.

I agree that games will never TRULY let you shape your own destiny, but they can sure as hell fake it. I say again, i'd rather a 15 hour GTA story game that has 20-30 LONG missions, with checkpoints and deviations based around the mission structure. "he got away, now get to his house and meet him there", "the NPC has been hit, call an ambulance for him and continue the fight without backup". I'd play through the story mode of a game like that several times, I wont do the story on GTA IV again.

Re: Gervais

I'm guessing that when the game started production he was still funny and it was still a good idea.

Could be wrong - or R* could just be being Super-Ironic by putting him in there, after the ''do the dance'' dethroning.

When did Ricky Gervais stop being funny then? He's a fuck load funnier than Katt Williams or whatever.

Well Gervais is my favourite comedian so I might be biased, but hes the most successful UK comedian for years, both critically and commercially.

NOW GO EAT SOME DICK YOU FUCKING FAGGOT.

Enjoy!

It's true. Get LA Takedown if you see it, it's all that's good about Heat but sparse, punchy and slick as you like.

"Completed" it this morning, that's the quickest I've gotten to GTA credits by about...8 months or so? I've never been so addicted to a game before.

I missed a lot of the great stuff that was in San Andreas, and I think the missions were too samey but it was just so incredibly brilliant. Still have stuff to do, haven't tried online yet and there's new content some months down the line. Amazing, deserved to sell the 10 million copies.

Despite me swearing at the tv a lot over the past 11 days, I think the difficulty level in this game is very well pitched, I don't think any mission took me more than three goes. Elizabeta's second mission seemed like quite a jump in difficulty compared to previous missions (and especially when you compare it to how unbelievably easy her third mission is). But other than that it seemed like a fairly steady increase in difficulty.

Derrick's third mission was one of the few that took me three goes to do

Outrunning the cops in a van you can't repaint, can't be destroyed, is slow and steers like a boat.

Also the last mission

I can't believe the game tells you to stay low and close to Jimmy P on the boat, you are a sitting duck and when I did that on my second go he got my copter with a direct hit, instant death.

Enjoy!

Oh shit, I know it's only your opinion but how wrong can you be?

The trumped up De Niro/Pacino scenes are a bit weak but it's an incredible film!

I dunno why they insist on the player getting all 200 pigeons before getting any kind of a bonus. GTA 3 got it right with a small bonus for every 10 secret packages found. I think the bonus badness started in San Andreas with the need to tag all 100 bits of graffiti. If I do stumble across a few pigeons it won't feel like any kind of an achievement because there is no way I'm going to get a map and search for all 200.

I dunno why they insist on the player getting all 200 pigeons before getting any kind of a bonus. GTA 3 got it right with a small bonus for every 10 secret packages found. I think the bonus badness started in San Andreas with the need to tag all 100 bits of graffiti. If I do stumble across a few pigeons it won't feel like any kind of an achievement because there is no way I'm going to get a map and search for all 200.

There are a lot of people who will spend the time searching for all 200. I dont think its meant as a casual achievement for the average Joe on the street so its something for those chumps who want to spend all their time getting all the little bits n bobs.

I was trying to resist getting this until after my finals, but I got an amazon voucher for my birthday and I should have it on Tuesday. See you in the dole queue soon.

Phew, I thought it was only me who thought this. Now to find anyone else in the world who also thinks Leon is a load of old tosh.

When did Ricky Gervais stop being funny then? He's a fuck load funnier than Katt Williams or whatever.

Well Gervais is my favourite comedian so I might be biased, but hes the most successful UK comedian for years, both critically and commercially.

NOW GO EAT SOME DICK YOU FUCKING FAGGOT.

Sasha Baron Cohen is more successful than Gervais. Gervais is an idiot.

I think I must've spent the last 6 or so hours, just pissing around the police computer and killing crims, going on helicopter rides with Brucie and keeping two women on the go. Quick question though. I'm currently dating Carmen and Kiki. All the other women are spurning my online advances. Does the chance of dating the others ever happen? I haven't unlocked the third island yet, so maybe that has something to do with it.

god trying to get the 100% is draining. I've got about 40 of the stunt jumps down and am 15 cars into the text theft missions. Am on about 82%. I dunno if i have it in me to do the bloody pigeons too!

oh and leon & heat are amazing films.