GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I've just made contact with Jimmy P but I've decided to ease of the missions and start working through the side-activities. I want to get through as many random people encounters (the wee blue people icons that pop up over the islands) and finish off Brucie's race missions. The races are great. I was dreading them to be honest but now that I'm into them I'm finding them very addictive.

In my opinion, this is the most fun game I've played in years. I've been waiting for the novelty to wear off to how I felt about it in the cold light of day and even after that I'm still in love with it. Brilliant stuff.

god trying to get the 100% is draining. I've got about 40 of the stunt jumps down and am 15 cars into the text theft missions. Am on about 82%. I dunno if i have it in me to do the bloody pigeons too!

oh and leon & heat are amazing films.

How much do friendships and girlfriends attribute to achieving 100%? I'm grudgingly doing the friendships missions just because of the perks but I can't be annoyed with girlfriends. I'll continue dating Kate McReary but that's as far as I'm going with the females.

There are a lot of people who will spend the time searching for all 200. I dont think its meant as a casual achievement for the average Joe on the street so its something for those chumps who want to spend all their time getting all the little bits n bobs.

I know but why not have both? In gta3 an obsessive could collect all 100 and get a big bonus while a normal person could collect the 20 or 30 they happened to find without a map and be happy with the pistol/shotgun/uzi mini bonuses given out for every 10 found.

It's not a big thing It just seems like they had the perfect reward for the hidden packages/pigeons/whatever system and then took a step backwards.

How much do friendships and girlfriends attribute to achieving 100%? I'm grudgingly doing the friendships missions just because of the perks but I can't be annoyed with girlfriends. I'll continue dating Kate McReary but that's as far as I'm going with the females.

Friendships, yes. Girldfriends, no.

Full list and how far they go to the total

Missions (60%):

* Complete 90 story missions and reach the game's credits, irrelevant of choices made and ending received (60%).

Activities (5%)

* Win in a full game of bowling (1.25%).

* Win in a game of darts (1.25%).

* Win in a game of pool (1.25%).

* Beat the high score of 10950 in QUB3D (1.25%).

Collectables (7%):

* Complete all 50 stunt jumps (2.5%).

* Kill all 200 pigeons scattered around the city (2.5%).

* Find and steal all 30 cars requested by text message from Stevie (2%).

Friends (10%)

* Raise friendship with Little Jacob to 60% to unlock his special ability (1.66%).

* Raise friendship with Brucie to 70% to unlock his special ability (1.66%).

* Raise friendship with Packie to 75% unlock his special ability (1.66%).

* Go out with Little Jacob, carrying out every available option at least once (1.66%).

o Darts

o Drinking

o Eating

o Pool

o Show

o Strip Club

* Go out with Brucie, carrying out every available option at least once (1.66%).

o Boating

o Bowling

o Drinking

o Eating

o Heli Ride

o Show

o Strip Club

* Go out with Packie, carrying out every available option at least once (1.66%).

o Bowling

o Darts

o Drinking

o Pool

o Show

o Strip Club

Random Characters (5%):

* Complete all tasks given by random characters met in the street (5%).

o Badman

o Brian (3 encounters)

o Eddie (2 encounters)

o Gracie

o Ilyena

o Hossan

o Marnie (2 encounters)

o Mel

o Pathos (2 encounters)

o Sara

o Note: You do not have to meet Cherise, Clarence, Ivan or Jeff. Their tasks do not contribute toward 100% completion.

Side Missions (8%)

* Kill all 9 assassination targets (2%).

* Set a time in all 9 street races given by Brucie by finishing in first place (2%).

* Steal all 10 "Exotic Export" cars requested by email from Brucie (2%).

* Complete all 10 deliveries for Little Jacob (2%).

Vigilante (5%):

* Kill 20 criminals in in the "Current Crimes" side mission (cumulative over all islands) (2.5%).

* Kill 30 criminals in in the "Most Wanted" side mission (10 per island) (2.5%).

Time for a big angry list of complaints and problems with the game

I did a big session yesterday playing the missions, and every mission was fucking irritating in one way or another. I think the game is excellent in so many ways. I wouldn't have played it for 50 hours already, slowly soaking in the atmosphere, if it wasn't great. But I'm looking forward to someone like Yahtzee's review, who will no doubt acknowledge how great the game is, but also admit to its big annoyances.

1: Repetitiveness.

It basically comes down to three mission types: the "chase" mission, the "systematically shoot all enemies in a building" mission, and the "unique" missions. The unique ones are of course the most welcome, because they are so fresh and entertaining. But the meat and potatoes of the game is the chase and shooting missions. Even side-missions like Most Wanted and Assassinations are just "chase" or "shooting" missions. There is far less variety in GTA IV than there was in Vice City and San Andreas. Why can't the core gameplay evolve, rather than just he game engine and a few cute ideas?

2: Chase missions suck.

The rules aren't consistent. All chases tell you to "Eliminate x". But sometimes that means eliminating the enemy as soon as possible before they escape, and other times it means they are invincible until the "right" time. You just don't know which! So you don't know if you're needlessly wasting ammo, crashing like a maniac, and attracting police attention. You don't know how long you should chase: will I be chasing forever, or am I waiting for a cutscene? If you're on a bike, you can come off easily and lose the target.

3: Vehicle handling.

I was the first to defend the heavy cars, when everyone moaned that they can't turn while braking. It's just a learning curve, I thought. Nevertheless, every time a target gets away because my car handles like a giant brick on pram wheels, I feel like cursing the "un-fun" car handling. Boats also deserve my wrath: I failed a boat mission because my boat turned over. It just sat there upside down in the water! All I had dared to do was turn! Not only a failed mission, but a drowning too.

4: Bad luck and difficulty spikes.

Bad luck has always occurred in GTA missions. It's an aspect of the sandbox. But damn it when a simple mission needlessly turns into a 3-star wanted level, for the bad luck of running over a cop, then running over more when they come after you! Really easy missions can become really hard.

5. On the subject of the police

It's pot luck whether escaping from a wanted circle will be easy, or a 15-minute nightmare ordeal.

6. Friends and the phone.

I'm sick of having to turn my phone off, if I don't want to be interrupted by nagging friends whose special abilities I never use. The phone switches itself back on after every little incident, so before I know it, I'm having to say "No" to someone and seeing the thumbs down symbol. "No Roman, I don't want to drive to the other side of the fucking city in TWO MINUTES, to play a worthless bowling game, then drive you all the way to Bohan. Now you've broken my train of thought. I was systematically looking for pigeons block-by-block in Alderney, you fat cunt."

7. Disappointing radio.

I've reached the point where I'm turning the radio off when I get into cars. It was never that great. Iggy Pop's station is good, and there's a few good songs on Radio Broker and Vladivostok. But where's Head Radio or Flash FM? Where's the recognisable music? And where's the New York rock and punk scene music, or the jazz that reminds you of New York? The biggest disappointment is the talk stations. They're just not funny. I was looking forward to Lazlow so much because Chatterbox FM had been 55 minutes of comedy gold, but Integrity 2.0 is awful. Chatterbox worked because Lazlow was a relatively normal guy dealing with insane callers; but now the joke is that Lazlow is an annoying douche... trouble is, that makes Lazlow an annoying douche.

8. Sound and picture unbalanced.

There's no way to get a good volume balance between sound effects, voices and music. Music drowns out sound, but sound drowns out talk radio. Good luck hearing phone conversations. The picture brightness is also a problem: crank up the brightness all the way to see in the pitch-black nighttime; then burn your retinas in the brightness of the daytimes.

9. Mission hand-holding.

I feel like I'm never choosing to do anything myself. There's a marker to stand in for everything, a message at the top saying "Do this, go here, do that." Certain missions would be so much more fun if they were "Hitman lite", allowing you to choose the best way to accomplish your goals. It's especially bad when the conditions for failure do not match real world conditions: Why has the target gotten away -- can't we research where he lives and get him later? Why have I failed this mission -- because I killed the target on the road, rather than the cutscene where the game wants me to kill him?

10. Checkpoints and restarts.

If part 1 of a mission is to drive across the whole city to reach the main location, and part 2 is when the action starts, why oh why must we do part 1 again when we fail?? I'm not asking for the game to be made easier -- missions should be adrenaline-fuelled with the fear of failure. But the 10-mile drive at the start is not something that has to be repeated!

11. The story.

I haven't finished the game yet, but I'm at least two-thirds through, and there hasn't been enough of a plotline. Niko's purpose for coming to Liberty City pops up every now and then; but for the most part, the game is just a repetitious flow of Niko meeting more and more crime bosses. They come and go, or get killed, but it's not a story.

12. Empty world.

I suppose all GTA games suffer from this -- the feeling that despite all the prettiness, all the buildings are just big squares in a big world that does nothing. You can tell that every enter-able building is going to be used in a mission, that's why it has an interior. It only serves to show that most other buildings don't have interiors. I understand how pointless and expensive it would have been to model interiors for every building! But strangely, the realism and detail that GTA IV does provide only serves to highlight how much you can't do. It superficially appears to be a full life simulator, but of course it isn't.

13. Clothes.

Why are there only three clothes shops in the entire game (or four, Perseus has two identical branches)? Why do they all offer crap clothes? Why are we teased by much better clothes shops like Didier Sachs, which are just un-enterable scenery? Why are there only two pairs of glasses in the whole game, both of which look like pedo glasses? I want cool shades! And two hats, both of which are rubbish? And why is the wardrobe selection such a slow cycling system? I don't want all the fat/muscle options that spoiled San Andreas, but I'd like better clothes, and the chance to give Niko different hairstyles and beards.

Well, that will do. Of course, the list of things that I love about the game is much much bigger, but it's always easier to think about negatives, isn't it? They are fresher in the mind for some reason. I love so much of the characterisation, and the hilarious internet, and the TV stations, and all the things the pedestrians do, and customising your phone with ringtones, and how the internet reports your crimes, and how the Euphoria engine makes the physics so good, and how gorgeous the graphics can be sometimes, and how many hours I've wasted simply being a "virtual tourist", and so on, and so on.

It's just a shame that the meat and potatoes of the game is still GTA III.

I have to admit that I do miss some of the ridiculous antics you could get up to in San Andreas which aren't available in GTA IV. I remember once doing a series of drive-bys on a ride-on mower, wearing a stupid blonde afro, a Groucho joke mask, some heart-pattened boxers, and a pair of socks and sandals, all to the sound of Booker T & The MGs' Green Onions. Priceless.

As much fun as it is to get up to antics in GTA IV (my current favourite is taking Brucie and the girls on"stunt" helicopter flights through the skyscrapers on Algonquin, ending in a "Death Spectacular"), there's not quite the same air of bufoonery available with Nico as there was with C.J.

I'm amazed at how barren online is, obviously it's the single player game of the century but with a pool of 10 million people to choose from, I wasn't expecting to struggle to get 3+ players in a room.

Also, someone emails you a link to a conspiracy theory forum that tells you the locations of all the pigeons, weapons, random people, car locations etc on it. I was quite surprised by that. Like fuck I'm collecting that stuff though.

Yeah, I miss the buffoonery of San Andreas.

Nothing about Nico will make me love him as much as I love CJ for going on killing sprees wearing nowt but his grundies, the groucho mask, the HELMUT and a pink wristwatch.

Mostly good points

As much as I love the game, gotta agree with your general vibe. I think reviews should reccomend on buying games or not but hold off on scores like 10 until a few weeks in rather than a quick playthrough. The best games leave you thinking they're the best rather than make you go "ah that was amazing but...."

Ah well

Time for a big angry list of complaints and problems with the game

I did a big session yesterday playing the missions, and every mission was fucking irritating in one way or another. I think the game is excellent in so many ways. I wouldn't have played it for 50 hours already, slowly soaking in the atmosphere, if it wasn't great. But I'm looking forward to someone like Yahtzee's review, who will no doubt acknowledge how great the game is, but also admit to its big annoyances.

<snip>

All very valid points but you're basically describing why you don't like it yourself. Of course, this is perfectly valid and I enjoyed reading your post but I personally had a counter-point to everything you said: I love this game and see the fun in almost everything about it. You don't. I think basically this game isn't for you.

As much fun as it is to get up to antics in GTA IV (my current favourite is taking Brucie and the girls on"stunt" helicopter flights through the skyscrapers on Algonquin, ending in a "Death Spectacular"), there's not quite the same air of bufoonery available with Nico as there was with C.J.

I assume they have cut back on this as it would be bad for the story/character.

I don't think I like the game. I'm just getting annoyed and fustrated with it all. Apart from journey there isn't really a decent radio station I just have on and drive around to, and I'm bored of Journey now. There's no variation in where I drive, I miss the wildlife expanses from San Andreas. The friendship stuff is tedious and dull. Repeating missions is tedious and dull- why have a restart mission where you still have to drive without incident from one island to another before the shooting/chasing begins. The missions themselves are repetetive. The animation is not that good (for all the talk of euphoria, jumping up a ledge is an exercise in watching the same jump clip into a wall repeatedly) and detracts from the gameplay when you want to do something but need the animation for something else to end first. You hang up when you fall off a kerb or cross the road. Running still isn't analogue. Shootouts are still awkward and lack things like a quick turn. Because everything happens after a cutscene there is no scope for any sort of new tactics or emergent gameplay during missions. You can escape police by driving in a straight line. The much praised story is nonsensical and dull. Money becomes worthless very quickly. And the walking turning circle is ridiculously big.

Overall it's just tedious, dull and fustrating.

I haven't tried online yet, I might soon, but at this rate I am honestly considering selling it.

And I loved San Andreas.

Let's talk cars here. Anyone found any of these yet?

Sultan RS

Intruder VX

Sentinel XS

Futo GT

Blista GT

Feroci JDM V10

Uranus Lozspeed

Voodoo LE

I've driven the Sultan RS along the westmost island when I first explored it (you can find it north). During that I recall seeing a Sentinal XS pass (big spoiler, rear window flaps). The Futo GT is ranked number one on my wanted list, as it's modelled after the AE86 from Initial D, but I haven't come across one yet.

The Uranus Lozspeed seems promising too, as it's supposed to be like a Superleggera. But I haven't even seen a regular Uranus!

I assume they have cut back on this as it would be bad for the story/character.

True, but then again it hardly fit in with C.J's lifestyle that much either (or Tommy Vercetti embarking on a killing spree in his tartan golfing plus-4s for that matter). That was the whole point of the buffoonery - going to a serious meeting with hardened criminals whilst dressed like the biggest twat in existance led to serious LOLZ.

Let's talk cars here. Anyone found any of these yet?

Sultan RS

Intruder VX

Sentinel XS

Futo GT

Blista GT

Feroci JDM V10

Uranus Lozspeed

Voodoo LE

I've driven the Sultan RS along the westmost island when I first explored it (you can find it north). During that I recall seeing a Sentinal XS pass (big spoiler, rear window flaps). The Futo GT is ranked number one on my wanted list, as it's modelled after the AE86 from Initial D, but I haven't come across one yet.

The Uranus Lozspeed seems promising too, as it's supposed to be like a Superleggera. But I haven't even seen a regular Uranus!

If you drive the normal version of one of the cars, it's apparently much more likely to appear. To do with how the game decides which car is spawned etc.

Hehe, I just picked up a Futo GT and enjoyed its handling as I'm quite a fan of the very normal looking but accomodating Blista. Thought to myself, I'll steal more of those in the future. Only now do I come downstairs to read this and find the thing was a rarity. Dammit! FYI I found it somewhere on the second island, can't remember where exactly but quite near Times Square I think.

As much as I love the game, I agree with a lot of what SqueakyG said.

My least favourite mission in SA is the one where you have to chase down and kill that Polish American cop (voiced by that guy in Reservoir Dogs who wears the tracksuit), he's invincible when he runs to his car, and his car is invincible until you get to the Hoover Dam equivalent (3 or 4 minutes drive away) seemingly just so you can hear exposition about CJ's mother. I hated how limited the mission was and how it changed the rules from all the others.

In this game 90% of the chase missions are like this. Getting the drop on your target and sniping him in the head for him not to react just because he's 90 yards away from getting airlifted from a warehouse by a helicopter you have to shoot is annoying. Even just from a well-if-I-knew-that-Iwouldn't-have-wasted-my-ammo point of view, nevermind your options being limited.

Awesome baby! The complete soundtrack of GTA IV is up including commercials and everything.

Available at your nearest online retailer ;)

As much as I love the game, I agree with a lot of what SqueakyG said.

My least favourite mission in SA is the one where you have to chase down and kill that Polish American cop (voiced by that guy in Reservoir Dogs who wears the tracksuit)

That would be Chris Penn, died not too long ago the poor sod.

He was a far more talented actor than his brother as well :P

I think basically this game isn't for you.

I've played and enjoyed every GTAIII game, and several clones, and enjoyed them all immensely. I also made it quite clear that I'm loving GTA IV. It's when you're so deeply absorbed in a game that its flaws irritate you.

I must admit that I was looking for a bit more gameplay evolution from GTA IV though. When I played Vice City Stories, I got the distinct feeling that "This is the last time I want to play this game." The GTA formula is great, but it's time for evolution. GTA IV indeed adds a lot of cool elements, like the internet and the cellphone; but most of its missions are not evolved at all.

Of course, there's still enough in the game to keep me playing, and mostly enjoying it. So it is the game for me.

Another thing: I made a complaint that there aren't enough clothes shops or enough clothes. So I'm guessing the DLC will take care of that. Funnily enough, there's a firehouse in Broker that had "FDLC" written in huge letters on the wall, but the "F" is blocked by a tree, so it looks like a huge "DLC"... some kind of hint?