GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I played the 360 version just now at my mate's house and can say surprisingly that I prefer the PS3 version. There are many things that are different to the PS3 version, not just frame rate/colours etc..

For 1. I noticed that it's impossible to break car windows with fists, whereas it is in the PS3, 2nd I noticed that it is far difficult changing weapon whilst running & third the triggers don't seem to work as well, I found it quite clumbersome to achieve manual aim with the auto aim system turned on in options, the trigger movement seems much smoother in the PS3 version, this goes for accelerating in cars as well (using a DS3).

I'd say the graphics where the biggest difference due to the 360 version looking plasticly/solid whilst the PS3 version looks grittier and more fluid.

Just my opinion, obviously there are people that will disagree with me but so be it.

6. Friends and the phone.

I'm sick of having to turn my phone off, if I don't want to be interrupted by nagging friends whose special abilities I never use. The phone switches itself back on after every little incident, so before I know it, I'm having to say "No" to someone and seeing the thumbs down symbol. "No Roman, I don't want to drive to the other side of the fucking city in TWO MINUTES, to play a worthless bowling game, then drive you all the way to Bohan. Now you've broken my train of thought. I was systematically looking for pigeons block-by-block in Alderney, you fat cunt."

If you accept their invitation, you get a wee thumbs up. You can then phone and cancel the arrangement without any penalty. It's the thought that counts, apparently.

For 1. I noticed that it's impossible to break car windows with fists

Nah, that's not true. I do it all the time whilst playing the 360 version (breaking into locked, parked cars, and also when shooting out of cars - I can never be bothered to wind the window down, apparently).

I found it quite clumbersome to achieve manual aim with the auto aim system turned on in options

I've not yet worked out how to do this, in 10 or 12 hours' of playtime... ;)

I'd say the graphics where the biggest difference due to the 360 version looking plasticly/solid whilst the PS3 version looks grittier and more fluid.

I've been wondering whether this is true. The 360 version looks lovely - beautiful city, great framerate, pop-up is rare, amazing weather and atmospheric effects blah blah blah - but sometimes in the cutscenes the characters do look like mannequins moulded out of plastic. It's the one bum note to the graphics if you ask me.

I wonder why that should be different on the PS3.

If you accept their invitation, you get a wee thumbs up. You can then phone and cancel the arrangement without any penalty. It's the thought that counts, apparently.

Amazing news! That's going to improve things for me a lot...

I wonder if that might be down to you having a better telly than him?

or worse perhaps

& thanks rumblecat for posting about the "accept & then cancel" thing, I was going to say that and you saved me the keystrokes.

The auto aim is shitty. When I press auto aim I expect it to automatically aim at the next person. I do not expect it to automatically aim at nothing because I am pointing 3 degrees too far away for the target, what is this, the 1950s???

I have the ps3 version and in some cutscenes Niko looks totally fucked, all a weird colour and shit.

This confused me as well. There is a 'Garage' marker on your map (somewhere in the north-east I think) so just set a GPS waypoint. And don't prang the car on the way. ;)

Thanks.

I cheated and had a quick look online for a hint. Seems really bizarre, given the game's obsessive handholding that they set these missions up like this!

Also, some of the photos Stevie sends you are awful! It's very difficult to make out what the car is!

Also, there was no marker on my map! I had to drive round the area for ages to find it. (I read on the web where it was supposed to be)

Finished it last night.

Loved it. I only had to repeat any mission twice, three times at most. Most of them I did first time. I don't know where other people are finding the frustrations.

Great game. Another landmark.

Finished it last night.

Loved it. I only had to repeat any mission twice, three times at most. Most of them I did first time. I don't know where other people are finding the frustrations.

Great game. Another landmark.

The rule changes. I was shooting my gun constantly during right is wrong, except apparently you can't kill him until some girders have blocked your path- find another way around, but I was too late. And so the quick restart meant I had to go back to his house (fun!) check his emails (what a game!) and phone somebody (again!) before I could actually start the game part, which you can't think creatively about, you can't block his path with cars or scope the area with a sniper rifle, because the cutscene is there to make sure the sandbox game makes the entire experience linear.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the only fun I've had so far has been against the creators wishes. Like that undress to kill. The first time I listened to the conversations and tried to kill them all in the club etc. The second time I ran in, let off a stray bullet which immediately highlighted them on the map, chased them in the car and picked them off whilst they were driving away, leaving a car full of corpses ambling down the street. I got in and drove off with 2 corpses in the backseat making sharp turns to roll them out the car at inopportune places.

I played the 360 version just now at my mate's house and can say surprisingly that I prefer the PS3 version. There are many things that are different to the PS3 version, not just frame rate/colours etc..

For 1. I noticed that it's impossible to break car windows with fists, whereas it is in the PS3, 2nd I noticed that it is far difficult changing weapon whilst running & third the triggers don't seem to work as well, I found it quite clumbersome to achieve manual aim with the auto aim system turned on in options, the trigger movement seems much smoother in the PS3 version, this goes for accelerating in cars as well (using a DS3).

Just my opinion, obviously there are people that will disagree with me but so be it.

Fanboy till the end, eh Harry! My PS3 owning landlord got his PS3 version yesterday. I had fun watching him play. I'm not going to comment on the graphics because he plays his PS3 in SD on an old widescreen CRT through composhit. So saying my 360 version looked better would be a little unfair.

He was having terrible trouble driving, though. Of course it takes a little while to get the hang of it, so I though I'd give it a go to see if it was him or the controller. It was the controller. Useless analogue triggers in awkward positions leading to acceleration which is either off or on. Fine, I guess if you're used to the PS2 version's 'on the front of the pad' accelerate and brake, but a million miles away from the beautiful trigger control available on the Xbox and Dreamcast consoles. But that's only half the problem. You've got the Shitaxis'™ amazing 'wobbly' sticks and their stunning 'Stephen King's - The Dead Zone' to content with. It was impossible to make the kind of minute steering adjustments that I make all the time on the 360. Critical adjustments that mean the difference between driving between two tight lines of traffic at high speed and looking like a fucking king as you do it. Compared to being a pinball wizard chump as you ungracefully bounce between the cars like a drunk trying to cross a packed dance floor. That is living!

But in all told - the games the same on both consoles - and it's a great game. It's just one console (apart from it's slightly broken innards - 'like a beautiful child, eyes all full of hope and wonder at the world, playing in the sun - not really understanding that they're living in the children's terminal cancer care home and that they'll not last the summer :P ') was designed to play games on and the other was desgined to be LOLLED at! ;)

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

I wish I had a way of practicing my 'shooting lots of people in a large building' skills outside of the missions.

Stir up a hornet's nest of trouble with Police near a large building. Run in said large building. Fight the coppers as they enter.

The rule changes. I was shooting my gun constantly during right is wrong, except apparently you can't kill him until some girders have blocked your path- find another way around, but I was too late. And so the quick restart meant I had to go back to his house (fun!) check his emails (what a game!) and phone somebody (again!) before I could actually start the game part, which you can't think creatively about, you can't block his path with cars or scope the area with a sniper rifle, because the cutscene is there to make sure the sandbox game makes the entire experience linear.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the only fun I've had so far has been against the creators wishes. Like that undress to kill. The first time I listened to the conversations and tried to kill them all in the club etc. The second time I ran in, let off a stray bullet which immediately highlighted them on the map, chased them in the car and picked them off whilst they were driving away, leaving a car full of corpses ambling down the street. I got in and drove off with 2 corpses in the backseat making sharp turns to roll them out the car at inopportune places.

In that one I only remember chasing the guy down and killing him. Dunno anything about girders.

Doesn't the game have a 'chase' or 'kill' dialogue on the screen when you get a mission like the above. So you can tell the difference? Like when it's says break the 'window' in red letters in one mission and not the door. Also see 'hold' Y button to enter taxi.

In that one I only remember chasing the guy down and killing him. Dunno anything about girders.

I had a few goes at this one and learnt that you only get the 'girders' animation if you're relatively close behind him. If you are some distance away it doesn't happen.

Yesterday, I drove really fast into a subway, fell out of the car and watched it sail over me, down the stairs. 2 seconds later I heard an explosion and saw loads of people run screaming up the stairs. I lol'd.

Friendship stuff - am I doing it wrong?

Getting phone calls of friends is getting to be a real pain in the arse. They phone to ask if I want to come and do something, and if I say yes I've got to be there within the hour or I get a thumbs down, or I say no, and get a thumbs down.

Since I've opened up the second island it's becoming pot luck whether I can make it to wherever they call from with the hour (especially as I'm often on foot). Is this deliberate - to force me to have to drive like a maniac, and kind of ramp up the difficulty as the game progresses? Or am I missing a technique (do taxis get you there instantly?).

It's got to the point where I have my phone permanently switched off because I'm fed up of calls from friends who are more than an hours drive away, but the game always switches it back on when I reload or do anything mission related, so I'm constantly fighting the game to switch it off again.

Do I just need to drive faster? It seems like it's going to become impossible when I open up island 3.

I feel the same, and that's been reenforced by seeing a lot more of the 360 version in recent days. What I'd seen pre-launch tipped me towards the PS3 version of a multi-format game for the first time, and I have expected myself to regret it but I actually haven't.

It is the colours that tip it for me...the 360 version is a shade dull in comparison. They both have their pro and cons - The PS3 version has slightly more lavish lighting and explosion effects, the 360 version is crisper and is running in a slightly higher resolution. The 360 version is smoother and with less aliasing but suffers from some ugly dithering which isn't present on the PS3 version.

I think ultimately the 360 version is sharper but it looks more 'gamey', it looks a bit PC-ish, for want of a better term, whereas the PS3 is a bit softer but the altered colour pallete and effects lend it a more organic look. I can certainly see why a lot of people will prefer the 360 version but they both definitely have distinctive looks which I think have been brought about by playing to the respective consoles' strengths. Good job, apart from the PS3 freezing bug which should have been snuffed out *before* launch.

Getting phone calls of friends is getting to be a real pain in the arse. They phone to ask if I want to come and do something, and if I say yes I've got to be there within the hour or I get a thumbs down, or I say no, and get a thumbs down.

Since I've opened up the second island it's becoming pot luck whether I can make it to wherever they call from with the hour (especially as I'm often on foot). Is this deliberate - to force me to have to drive like a maniac, and kind of ramp up the difficulty as the game progresses? Or am I missing a technique (do taxis get you there instantly?).

It's got to the point where I have my phone permanently switched off because I'm fed up of calls from friends who are more than an hours drive away, but the game always switches it back on when I reload or do anything mission related, so I'm constantly fighting the game to switch it off again.

Do I just need to drive faster? It seems like it's going to become impossible when I open up island 3.

Taxis.

Get in, skip the ride. You'll get the night out over with pretty quick.

Sweeeeeeeeeet.

I wish I had a way of practicing my 'shooting lots of people in a large building' skills outside of the missions.

The corridor within the hospital you can enter is good for this, as well as a firestation garage that I found somewhere - no idea where though, sorry.

Taxis.

Get in, skip the ride. You'll get the night out over with pretty quick.

But do they get you there within the hour when far away? If you skip the ride, does the time not pass, making you late anyway since taxi drivers at their fastest won't match your own driving?

They are a bit annoying when they phone and you are trying to do something else. Or they phone just as you press Y to get into a car, thereby canceling the call and getting a thumbs down.

But if I do want to accept their request and I am too far away, I take a taxi and use the option to skip the trip and get there instantly.

But do they get you there within the hour when far away? If you skip the ride, does the time not pass, making you late anyway since taxi drivers at their fastest won't match your own driving?

No time passes at all, which I found to my annoyance when I was trying to make time pass for a convuluted reason.

When they call, and if you want to go out with them, if they are far away- then accept their offer, but call them back and cancel your plans. Go to where they are in your own time (brucie, the gf's etc are usually in the one place) then call them and you ask for them to go out.

That or use a chopper and go out with a load of friends in a playthrough. Very quick.