GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

When they call, and if you want to go out with them, if they are far away- then accept their offer, but call them back and cancel your plans. Go to where they are in your own time (brucie, the gf's etc are usually in the one place) then call them and you ask for them to go out.

That or use a chopper and go out with a load of friends in a playthrough. Very quick.

Or you could take a taxi to their location. That's what I do and it gets me there easily within time.

This is the last mission I did -

Before I got it I went off and kill dimitri instead of doing the deal.

I chase Jimmys goons to the wee factory building up the top of the third island and then had to chase him on a motor bike round the coast as he is in boat.

Do a crazy jump to a helicopter piloted by jacob and roman.

Then to the island/statue of happiness to kill him

I'll tell you what's annoying: Driving from Bohan to Dukes, so that when you arrange a man-date with Packie you're already there... only to find he's waiting for you in Bohan!

Or getting a call from Roman ("Cousin! It's your cousin!" fucksake...) and thinking, "Well, I'm near enough to Broker, okay, go on then." Only to find he's waiting for you on the other end of Algonquin. What's he doing there?

I'll remember that tip about accepting then cancelling. Thanks.

Another random thing: You know which girl I wish I could date? The one in the Broker Tw@ who always flirts with Niko when he comes in. Why can't he go out with her? I thought that was going to lead somewhere.

Another random thing: You know which girl I wish I could date? The one in the Broker Tw@ who always flirts with Niko when he comes in. Why can't he go out with her? I thought that was going to lead somewhere.

My thoughts exactly. There's a whole lot of flirting going on between Niko and that internet cafe girl.

Anyway, while I'm here, how do you unlock the Sightseer achievement where you have to go on all the helitours? I've done the three which are on the south end of the second island, but are there more? If so, where are they?

What does that carmen bitch give you when she likes you? I can't be arsed going out with the dirty skank to find out.

And does Kiki

clear your wanted level

forever, or do i have to keep going out with her? In the last couple of missions it didn't work, but i thought that could just be because the mission didn't allow it.

What does that carmen bitch give you when she likes you? I can't be arsed going out with the dirty skank to find out.

Replenishes your health. Although the last time I called her, she said she would boost my health, but then fuck all happened!

Was that a big spoiler by Gus? Whew! Am I glad I missed it if it was. I'm nowhere near finished yet, on account of the fact I haven't really been doing a lot of the story missions recently. I haven't unlocked the third island yet either.

Question: why are bikes so scarce?

Eh? That movie was a remake of "Nikita", not "Leon". "Leon" wasn't even released until a year later.

Shit, that's the paedo one with Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman making a show of himself, isn't it? Well, that's a pile of crap too, in fairness.

The ignorance of some people never ceases to amaze me. Do you people not even watch films FFS!

Oh no! I've mixed up two equally shitty Luc Besson films, both with Jean Reno in them! The shame!

The friend thing pissed me off a bit when I'd ring Packie, and I'd be in Dukes, only a minute from his house, and he'd say "come pick me up at my place". So I'd go to my map to set a waypoint, and he's be at the fucking prison in Alderney. :)

Leon is great, by the way.

Shit, that's the paedo one with Natalie Portman and Gary Oldman making a show of himself, isn't it? Well, that's a pile of crap too, in fairness.

Oh no! I've mixed up two equally shitty Luc Besson films, both with Jean Reno in them! The shame!

Worst. Comeback. Ever. :)

As much as I love the game, gotta agree with your general vibe. I think reviews should reccomend on buying games or not but hold off on scores like 10 until a few weeks in rather than a quick playthrough. The best games leave you thinking they're the best rather than make you go "ah that was amazing but...."

Ah well

I'm going to skip the last 2 pages because SqueakyG has hit the nail on the head for me. This game isn't a 10 (not that numbers matter to me but they seem to to everyone else but hey ho). It's good but it's no better than previous GTA's. The world has moved on since those and the flaws that were in them are present in this. Do I keep it for multiplayer or do I get rid while the price is high? Hmmmm....

I have to say, the frequent comments about the brightness being too low and the sound being messed up puzzle me - i've had neither problem. A bit odd, actually. I've just realised though it's probably cause I have a (fairly basic) 5.1 setup. The sound is excellent in this game.

San Andreas is still my favourite GTA, but I love this one quite a lot too.

Finished it last night.

Loved it. I only had to repeat any mission twice, three times at most. Most of them I did first time. I don't know where other people are finding the frustrations.

Great game. Another landmark.

Yeah I've loved it too. I did pretty much every mission first time, except (late 2nd island)

the blow up helicopter mission, which was my fault as I kept going to left of it instead of the right as it said

I do agree with some of the compaints though:

* The mission restart problem is easily overcome by using taxis, but it isn't explained properly. Theres still really no reason to not have it properly restart. The only other missions I failed are the ones where you don'y know if it is a scripted chase or you are supposed to kill them. This is really indefensible. All it takes is to change the wording on the mission objective.

* The fact that only a few models of car spawn around you still exists, which with the new tech I thought would be gone. I know it is supposed to be New York but sometimes there are twenty taxis on screen at the same time with nothing else. Then when you go to the effort to get a nice car then theres suddenly dozens of them. They just need to put some limits on it.

* The camera is too low on external view. I have to hold down on the right stick almost the whole time I'm driving. Bonnet cam is fantastic but if I want to use external there should be a mode which lets me see more than just the top of my car and 5m in front of it.

Yeah I've loved it too. I did pretty much every mission first time, except (late 2nd island)

the blow up helicopter mission, which was my fault as I kept going to left of it instead of the right as it said

I do agree with some of the compaints though:

* The mission restart problem is easily overcome by using taxis, but it isn't explained properly. Theres still really no reason to not have it properly restart. The only other missions I failed are the ones where you don'y know if it is a scripted chase or you are supposed to kill them. This is really indefensible. All it takes is to change the wording on the mission objective.

* The fact that only a few models of car spawn around you still exists, which with the new tech I thought would be gone. I know it is supposed to be New York but sometimes there are twenty taxis on screen at the same time with nothing else. Then when you go to the effort to get a nice car then theres suddenly dozens of them. They just need to put some limits on it.

* The camera is too low on external view. I have to hold down on the right stick almost the whole time I'm driving. Bonnet cam is fantastic but if I want to use external there should be a mode which lets me see more than just the top of my car and 5m in front of it.

Why would you need a taxi when you can just restart from the text message? What am I missing?

Why would you need a taxi when you can just restart from the text message? What am I missing?

Many missions have a opening section where you have to drive to a certain part of the map to find someone/get a specific car.

I'm beginning to wonder if I will be getting another safehouse. I've just opened the last part of the map and I'm still stuck in an obscure corner of Bohan at the opposite side of the map. I was expecting a new safehouse on each island as each one unlocked, like the previous games.

WOAH.

Just finished the game.

I absolutely must play through this again and take the alternate decisions. ESPECIALLY for the last decision.

I can't wait to see how your final decision affects the DLC (which it just has to).

There's only one loose end I can think of and that's the chap you meet in Russian Revolution, where you and Little Jacob meet Dimitri in a warehouse. What happened to him?

I'm beginning to wonder if I will be getting another safehouse. I've just opened the last part of the map and I'm still stuck in an obscure corner of Bohan at the opposite side of the map. I was expecting a new safehouse on each island as each one unlocked, like the previous games.

Hasn't Roman phoned you and told you that theres a big new fancy apartment (it has a laptop in it) in the centre-right of the Algonquin map? He called me just after Three Leaf Clover, I guessed it was cause I was now fucking loaded.