GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

I haven't read anything about the different weapons. What are the major differences?

There seem to be two choices in each class of weapon, is one better than the other?

Also, love the vigilante missions too, donning a suit, shades and solely using your pistol on criminals on foot instantly makes you feel like a badass.

I had just completed a big mission and decided to have a bit of fun, so I stole an Infernus (?) from the showroom and went up to the top of the middle island. Floored it and since there were not that many cars I kept on accelerating. Things were getting really blurry at near max speed, but everything started to go a bit funky on the textures front. Also, there was a dip in the road which it hadn't managed to draw it yet so it appeared as though I fell through the map only to hit the road underneath and shoot out the otherside almost achieving a blocks worth of air :( Great fun...

Shame I don't have Live as I would imagine racing online would be quite fun :(

Especially with Ice Cream Vans :)

I'm still loving the game after the main story, though I've given up on ever getting the $500K achievement. I'm losing money far faster than I can make it now. Been doing a lot of vigilante missions, because I love them. Wish you got some money or something for doing them, though.

The thing with that achievement is that it actually favours those who leave all the side missions to the end. When you die and go to hospital, it takes a percentage of your money, so obviously it hits you harder the more money you have. So it's more beneficial to complete the main game first, so you lose less money when you die, and then do all the side missions and races that give you cash afterwards.

Of course the best thing to do is just to reload your last save. It automatically saves after every mission or side mission or race or even just going out with Roman or someone. So if you reload your save you'll only ever really lose the progress you made with shooting pigeons in between saves, and you'll get to keep all your money.

Just switched on to find that a fair few hours of progress has been lost, I've gone from having all the islands opened up and bags of cash right back to where I was a few days ago. Not impressed at all. Has anyone else had this?

Just switched on to find that a fair few hours of progress has been lost, I've gone from having all the islands opened up and bags of cash right back to where I was a few days ago. Not impressed at all. Has anyone else had this?

I had this scare. You save isn't lost I gather. It just loaded one of your older ones. Go to Load in the menu, and see if theres a later one.

Just a thought, but has your 360 been switched off? If the clock is reset you can end up getting the save game chronology mixed up, and the game always loads the most recent save at start.

I took mine to a mates and did loads of stuff, then back at home I thought I'd gone back in time, but it was because my new saves were all dated 2005.

EDIT: As Uzi said I guess!

The thing with that achievement is that it actually favours those who leave all the side missions to the end. When you die and go to hospital, it takes a percentage of your money, so obviously it hits you harder the more money you have. So it's more beneficial to complete the main game first, so you lose less money when you die, and then do all the side missions and races that give you cash afterwards.

Of course the best thing to do is just to reload your last save. It automatically saves after every mission or side mission or race or even just going out with Roman or someone. So if you reload your save you'll only ever really lose the progress you made with shooting pigeons in between saves, and you'll get to keep all your money.

I've lost nearly 200 grand from medical fees. If i'd just reloaded my saves every time i died i'd easily have the achievement already.

Why is no-one ever online?

I can only speak for myself but after a few games online I decided I'd rather unlock all the good stuff in the single-player first, as fun as raining down fiery hell at the airport with the rocket launcher was. I imagine there'll be a fair few doing the same thing.

I can only speak for myself but after a few games online I decided I'd rather unlock all the good stuff in the single-player first, as fun as raining down fiery hell at the airport with the rocket launcher was. I imagine there'll be a fair few doing the same thing.

I was hoping to just have a few races or a deathmatch, but no bugger is ever online. Considering my friends list is constantly full of GTA players (33 at the same time earlier today), it surprises me no-one is playing online.

There are definitely more people online in ranked matches than player matches I've found, but even then it still seems like I can be stuck in a room with only a few people for ages. I'm wondering if it's just a bad matchmaking system they have.

Or maybe a lot of people don't really like it? I'm not sure. Personally I like some modes but not others. I didn't like SP deathmatch at all, but I like Turf Wars because it's constrained to a small area of the map. In general though I think the areas are just too big. Weapons are spaced really far apart and I just feel like a lot of the time I'm running towards a weapon or trying to find a car so I can find someone to shoot. It needs to be tighter.

Finally, finally done the bastard Snow Storm just now. Only took me four days. :D

Walking along the tops of the walls (because I always get lost looking for the room with the coke, and this gives me a better vantage point) I sniped the obvious threats, got the stuff, ran like hell to the back and found the

opening in the fence where you can get to the boat

. I still got shot to pieces and escaped with a flashing red bit of life left, but at least I escaped.

I was hoping to just have a few races or a deathmatch, but no bugger is ever online. Considering my friends list is constantly full of GTA players (33 at the same time earlier today), it surprises me no-one is playing online.

I'm always up for multiplayer stuff. :wub: Not sure if you're on my list yet though ...

So, has anyone completed the story and seen their ending? Completed the story once, then just loaded an earlier save to get the other ending.

Won't say anything else unless other people have completed it and seen both, and even then I'll spoiler.

Starting to get a bit annoyed with this now. Some missions have just pissed me off cos of very small glitches or just the back tracking when you fail a mission. Probably my fault, but i sat down for a play today and just got annoyed with backtracking and restarting that i switched off.

I really have liked the game so far, but its definatly missing stuff from the older GTA games that i used to like.

Walk through most of the hospital unarmed, headshot the two guys at the end of the corridor, kill the bodyguard and target, then sprint out, gunning the police as you run. Concentrate on getting out as fast as you can, then grabbing one of the police cars and losing the heat.

You can't do it stealthily.

Just had a fantastic night on this, just got to the second safehouse and just concentrated on nudging the story along.

Got up to the point that fake traitorous bitch Michelle took the coke. Knew there was something wrong about her from the start.

Managed Snow Storm on the first attempt despite some trepidation at what looked to be a lot of people having trouble with it. I took about half of the out using the sniper rifle then mowed down the rest in the corridor with no real trouble. The resultant police chase was a haphazard and hilarious comedy of errors that eventually ended in success after four vehicle switches and a run from one end of the island to the other. Didn't know about the speedboat. :D

Am worried that since I lost her coke Elizabeta will sit on me or something, she's not small woman.

Only things annoying me are the missions where a target is invulnerable until a certain point, the first being one where it actually tells you how to shoot from a motorcycle. As soon as I knew that bloke and

Lyle

were invulnerable until a certain point I just concentrated on driving and managed to do them no problem.

Actually saw an AI truck driver pick up a hooker today too.

Anyone picked up any rare motors? I'm not sure how rare these are but I've got a Turismo GT parked outside my pad (Only really see the regular Turismo I think), as soon as I have the third island unlocked, I'll have a Sultan RS (rather than a regular Sultan) as well.

Am I special or just blind?

has anyone actually done the "flip your car 5 times" & the "blow up 10 cars in 10 seconds" achievements, i just can't seem to do these bloody challenges! :-(

I presume the 10 cars thing will be easy with the rocket launcher, and parking 10 cars next to each other (not tried it though).

I've got no idea how to achieve the 5 flips one.

Walk through most of the hospital unarmed, headshot the two guys at the end of the corridor, kill the bodyguard and target, then sprint out, gunning the police as you run. Concentrate on getting out as fast as you can, then grabbing one of the police cars and losing the heat.

You can't do it stealthily.

Not true

There is a doctors uniform in a lockers in a room to the right of the reception desk

I presume the 10 cars thing will be easy with the rocket launcher, and parking 10 cars next to each other (not tried it though).

I've got no idea how to achieve the 5 flips one.

tried it but its harder than you'd think, if you jack more than about 4 cars in a row to line em up, the fuzz will come along and ruin your day. Is really annoying me. As is the flipping one.