GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

There's bits at the airport which is good for flipping cars, they've got little ramp things all along the runway, if you hit it with half the car (like the two wheels on the right hand side) it should send the car into a flip. And the pick-up truck thing flips quite a lot if it's going at good speed towards it.

Actually here's a video which explains it a bit better than my poor attempt-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BeECdFWl1k

What's the deal with the ramp trucks in this? I see them driving about, but the ramp itself is too far off the ground to go driving over them. There's a screenshot in the Edge review of a car jumping over a ramp truck, though.

Hospital mission spoilers.

Walk through most of the hospital unarmed, headshot the two guys at the end of the corridor, kill the bodyguard and target, then sprint out, gunning the police as you run. Concentrate on getting out as fast as you can, then grabbing one of the police cars and losing the heat.

You can't do it stealthily.

Yes you can. Grab the doctors uninform, stroll in, turn his life support machine off, leave.

My mate got this at the weekend and spent a few hours on it. He kept telling me that he's having trouble getting any cash together, and has been around brawling and robbing people for bits of loose change, but losing it all to healthcare and police bribes.

When I asked him what he wanted money for so early in the game, it turns out he'd spent the whole evening trying to scrape together enough cash for some "brass" (a prostitute).

There's a mission that gives you 250k dorrah relatively early on. To save cash, if you die or get caught by the fuzz, just restart. I hit 500k and got the achievement last night with about 55% completion and I wasn't really trying to make money, just doing the missions.

There's bits at the airport which is good for flipping cars, they've got little ramp things all along the runway, if you hit it with half the car (like the two wheels on the right hand side) it should send the car into a flip. And the pick-up truck thing flips quite a lot if it's going at good speed towards it.

Actually here's a video which explains it a bit better than my poor attempt-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BeECdFWl1k

ah nice one!

tried it but its harder than you'd think, if you jack more than about 4 cars in a row to line em up, the fuzz will come along and ruin your day. Is really annoying me. As is the flipping one.

Same here,was trying this last night but like you said,the police turn up after you park a few cars together.

Apparently the best way is to

create a traffic jam near a petrol station and rocket launch a car to start a chain reaction.

Finally, finally done the bastard Snow Storm just now. Only took me four days. :D

Walking along the tops of the walls (because I always get lost looking for the room with the coke, and this gives me a better vantage point) I sniped the obvious threats, got the stuff, ran like hell to the back and found the

opening in the fence where you can get to the boat

Where is the

boat

? I recce'd the whole area before doing that mission, and didn't see one. Because there were so many

jettys I thought that one might appear after the mission, so I searched but there was no boat, and I got gunned down.

I did it the second attempt by

running out the front door, hopping into a car I'd parked previously and outrunning the cops (getting my four-star escape acheivement into the bargain).

I've just noticed that going to bed at your safe house gets rid of your wanted level, you don't have to save either.

Awake and it's all blown over. :wub:

I thought it saved your game when you went for a sleep anyway? :D

I thought in the old GTA games, that you had to lose your wanted level before starting a new mission? This one just forgets about that as soon as you hit a mission marker.

not that im complaining (its helped me out a lot of times) but just seemed a bit weird.

I thought in the old GTA games, that you had to lose your wanted level before starting a new machine? This one just forgets about that as soon as you hit a mission marker.

not that im complaining (its helped me out a lot of times) but just seemed a bit weird.

IIRC (and I probably don't) I think you could start missions on the older ones if you were only on one or two stars. Can you do it even on six this time?

I thought it saved your game when you went for a sleep anyway? :D

No, going to bed allows you to save but if you don't want to you just press Circle or B and it just advances the time 6 hours anyway.

I thought in the old GTA games, that you had to lose your wanted level before starting a new machine? This one just forgets about that as soon as you hit a mission marker.

Machine, mission? :wub:

Anyway, don't recall that happening... Thought I was always able to start a mission with the cops after me.

Early on? I was about forty hours in before I came to that, I must be doing a fair bit of pissing about or something.

With GTA IV it varies for everyone. I did that chaps quests early, although I've also done all the submissions apart from the races and unlocked all my friend's special abilities so far. *shrug*

Where is the

boat

? I recce'd the whole area before doing that mission, and didn't see one. Because there were so many

jettys I thought that one might appear after the mission, so I searched but there was no boat, and I got gunned down.

I did it the second attempt by

running out the front door, hopping into a car I'd parked previously and outrunning the cops (getting my four-star escape acheivement into the bargain).

Right out front. Theres a small ladder thats barely visible as it pokes over the top of the wall by the water. Just climb down it and jump straight in. Theres also a similar point further round the building and the boat might appear there. It NEVER appears before the cops arrive though so theres no point looking for it until then.

With GTA IV it varies for everyone. I did that chaps quests early, although I've also done all the submissions apart from the races and unlocked all my friend's special abilities so far. *shrug*

I know it does, I'm just surprised that you can do that one quite early. Isn't it the one that

opens up the last island

?

I don't know if I'm doing the game in a funny order, but I've not opened the 3rd island yet and I only seem to have Packie's Three Leaf Clover available to do. I've been putting it off because it sounds like it's going to be hard. Is the third island only available after that mission?

I know it does, I'm just surprised that you can do that one quite early. Isn't it the one that

opens up the last island

?

Aye, it is. For some reason I flew through the missions and ended up doing that relatively early. I can't remember the exact sequence of events though but it was nowhere near the 40 hour count, more like 10 or 12 hours. Does that count as early? If feels like ages ago to me.

For Snow Storm

I walked around the building shooting the visible ones. lobbed in some handgrenades and then climbed up the ladder and shot the stragglers. I then picked up the coke and ran past the police and got in that pick up and drove off.

I did it the shit way. Why the flip would I even look for a boat?

For Snow Storm

I walked around the building shooting the visible ones. lobbed in some handgrenades and then climbed up the ladder and shot the stragglers. I then picked up the coke and ran past the police and got in that pick up and drove off.

I did it the shit way. Why the flip would I even look for a boat?

Because

the helicopters cant keep up and theres only a few other police boats which you simply drive past. Quick n easy.

The EDGE review is now online. It's the worst EDGE 10/10 review I've read. It just lacks some kind of enthusiasm and doesn't bring across the feeling that it deserves a 10/10 as well as the previous ones (which it imo certainly does). It's fine to talk about the flaws, but why put so much emphasis on them if they are supposedly insignificant?

I think he means what would give you the idea to look for a boat? There was no boat before you went in (if you scoped the place out first), no suggestion that a boat would be available, and the nature of the mission doesn't really encourage experimentation and exploration once you've collected the bag.

With the rest of the game telling you what to do every step of the way during missions, the hidden getaway boat seems like an odd inclusion.

I don't know if I'm doing the game in a funny order, but I've not opened the 3rd island yet and I only seem to have Packie's Three Leaf Clover available to do. I've been putting it off because it sounds like it's going to be hard. Is the third island only available after that mission?

Yeah, TLC opens up the third island. It's funny, GTAIV, because there are so many choices at any one time, you can follow one mission path for ages and feel like you are making massive progress, whilst ignoring one little mission and missing out on a big reward.

I had the third island unlocked before I'd even moved out of Bohan.