GTA:IV Official Thread

murray

Oh, also: are there any pigeons/seagulls to kill in Gay Tony? I saw a bird and shot it, and it said "49 seagulls remaining", but I can't remember if they were from TLAD... I never bothered killing the birds from TLAD. There was never enough reward for doing it. I wasted soooo many hours on Niko's pigeons.

Yes there are, 50 of the f*ckers. I don't even know what the reward is for getting them all. It better hadn't be as shit as the original 200.

I forgot how frustrating escaping from the police can be in these games. The mission where you have to escape from the airport with the drugs mule in TLAD is just annoying now after 5 attempts even with checkpoints!

Make sure you grab a decent car, but yeah - it took me a few goes. You just have to treat it exactly like a real chase - drive REALLY fast down long straights, or twist and turn constantly.

Awesome mission that one!

Er..........I've just completed the original and I fell a bit................empty.

Ended too soon, and incredibly flat. What do i do now, play some more? or leave it and play something else? where were the tanks, the army bad mofo helicopters and vast gun fights? just seemed a bit too easy?

Or have I missed something?

Er..........I've just completed the original and I fell a bit................empty.

Ended too soon, and incredibly flat. What do i do now, play some more? or leave it and play something else? where were the tanks, the army bad mofo helicopters and vast gun fights? just seemed a bit too easy?

Or have I missed something?

Try TBOGT.

I think after a little while longer tapping A to run is going to drive me crazy. Why is this even in the game? :wub:

There are a few little things that just take you out of what is, in my opinion, a compelling experience. GTA:IV and it's DLC end up feeling a little dated after playing recently released games such as Batman and Uncharted, it's a shame because it's only small things that you feel would be easy to remedy. With a bit of luck Rockstar will have another go at pefecting the formula for GTA on this generation because in my opinion GTA:IV is close to being one of the stand out games of recent years but these niggling issues prevent it from reaching that level.

Ended too soon... where were the tanks, the army bad mofo helicopters and vast gun fights? just seemed a bit too easy?

Can't say I thought vanilla GTA4 ended too soon, I found it bloated and repetitive after a while. The really good stuff is in the two expansion packs. To me, GTA4 feels like all the time went into developing the engine, building the city, populating the city and all the other little bits and pieces, writing the story and then pumping out a lot of unimaginative, annoying missions. Whereas the two expansions, with the basework done, are free to make more interesting, varied missions and add better and more entertaining things to do on the side.

I bought the disc version with both TLAD and TBOGT on it and fully intended to jump straight into TBOGT first. But after completing a few missions in TLAD I couldn't put it down, since I was already hooked by the game and its story. I've played it for 6-7 hours and have had some amazing missions and setpieces. I've played all the other GTA games too but never completed any of them, since I somehow lost interest the farther I got into them and since I found them too difficult and/or frustrating too. But with midmission checkpoints and a friendlier difficulty level I simply love TLAD. It's the best GTA game I've ever played.

I fully intend to complete it and will jump straight into TBOGT afterwards.

I had alot more fun playing Lost than Ballad.

They've both benefited from tweaks and having the fat of the main game trimmed, but where TBoGY feels like a streamlined retread with admittedly better weapons, the biker theme (including the grit-o-filter) and characters of Lost made it a refreshing departure. Plus, Road Rash racing.

I even forgave the controls in Lost, a few times during Balled I wanted to break my control pad.

Could someone answer my questions about Liberty City Stories if they've played it?

1) How long would you say Liberty City Stories is compared to the original GTA4? Is it full-game length?

2) If you die during a mission and reload, do you get all your body armour/weapons back?

3) If you want to save between missions, do you still need to drive all the way back to your house?

4) Is there still tedious friendship things to do between missions and/or have they added in any fun side-quests that give decent rewards (pigeon shooting doesn't count)

I've recently been playing Saints Row 2, which has taken GTA's crown in my book: Regenerating health, controls that work, save anywhere, frequent checkpoints, short and snappy cutscenes, deep character customisation, etc.

The only thing GTA4 has is a better city. If Liberty City Stories has stopped punishing the player so much, I might actually go back to explore it, having given up on GTA4 on the second island.

Could someone answer my questions about Liberty City Stories if they've played it?

1) How long would you say Liberty City Stories is compared to the original GTA4? Is it full-game length?

I think the combined length of TLAD and TBOGT is probably similar to GTA4.

2) If you die during a mission and reload, do you get all your body armour/weapons back?

No, you carry on with whatever armour/weapons you have after you failed the mission.

3) If you want to save between missions, do you still need to drive all the way back to your house?

It auto saves after every mission, as with GTA4.

4) Is there still tedious friendship things to do between missions and/or have they added in any fun side-quests that give decent rewards (pigeon shooting doesn't count)

The friendship things are still there, but there are a lot less friends to please and they don't phone you anywhere near as often. There are side quests, and they're fun, but I don't know if they really give you any rewards for doing them.

I've recently been playing Saints Row 2, which has taken GTA's crown in my book: Regenerating health, controls that work, save anywhere, frequent checkpoints, short and snappy cutscenes, deep character customisation, etc.

The only thing GTA4 has is a better city. If Liberty City Stories has stopped punishing the player so much, I might actually go back to explore it, having given up on GTA4 on the second island.

Did you even play GTA4? In normal GTA4 if you die during a mission you still keep all your weapons. You don't keep your armour because obviously if you die you don't have any. The game also has an autosave that kicks in whenever you do anything of worth in the world, even shooting the pigeons.

did like 30 drug wars last night, there's only 2 different conversations which makes it a bit brutal, but they're still lots of fun, especially with the ridiculous explodey shotgun throwing cars around.

Now I have sticky bombs and the ridiculously overpowered SMG at my crib.

no intention of killing the seagulls, I think I killed 2 pigeons in the whole of GTA4, both by accident.

Finding and killing the pigeons/seagulls might actually be fun if there were some way of hunting them down and tracking which ones you’d already found (like in Far Cry 2 or Crackdown), as opposed to just blundering round in the hope of randomly finding one.

I realise they’re in there pretty much solely for the purposes of selling guidebooks, but it’s still a bit rubbish. The same goes for unique stunts, it would be great if there was an option to mark uncompleted jumps on the map, so you’d have something to do once you completed the main story.

Finding and killing the pigeons/seagulls might actually be fun if there were some way of hunting them down and tracking which ones you’d already found (like in Far Cry 2 or Crackdown), as opposed to just blundering round in the hope of randomly finding one.

I realise they’re in there pretty much solely for the purposes of selling guidebooks, but it’s still a bit rubbish. The same goes for unique stunts, it would be great if there was an option to mark uncompleted jumps on the map, so you’d have something to do once you completed the main story.

Go to TW@. Go to www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com.

ok - I gave up on GTA 4 after opening the 3rd island - but this sounds like it may actually be fun to play. Can it be played quite happily with a half finished GTA4?

I'm assuming it's accessed completely seperately?

I gave up on GTA IV pretty early on because I hate the stupid restrictions on accessing all of the map. I am loving TLAD though. Haven't even looked at Gay Tony yet.

Go to TW@. Go to www.whattheydonotwantyoutoknow.com.

Yeah, you can’t really practically use it, though. It’s just a map you look at on the in-game internet telling you where they are, it doesn’t tell you which ones you’ve done already, and any time you want to check it, you have to go along to an internet café and laboriously type in the address every time, so it’s not super-handy for referring to when you’re wandering around town.

Did you even play GTA4? In normal GTA4 if you die during a mission you still keep all your weapons. You don't keep your armour because obviously if you dies you don't have any. The game also has an autosave that icks in whenever you do anything of worth in the world, even shooting the pigeons.

I haven't played it for a long time, so my memory of certain frustrations has faded.

Thanks to those who answered my questions.

Is the whole of Liberty City open from the start in the new version?

I've completed TLAD and about 1/3 of TBoGT now and it's just so much better having checkpoints. It's changed the game so much that they the can now realistically up the difficulty of missions so long as there are sensibly placed checkpoints. Though I've noticed a couple of missions in TBoGT which restart you before a long drive which is really just bad design and needs to be completely avoided for the next full game. The mission score I reckon I'm going to have absolutely zero interest in but it might be cool to replay some of the more memorable missions later on.

I'm probably just doing it wrong but has anyone else struggled with the last level in TBOGT? I've tried it about 6 times now, three of those with armour as well, there's such little cover that all though I kill a load of them, I'm still getting shot to bits... I've tried using grenades and the stick bombs but they always seem to just blow me up instead... any tips, it's quite frankly getting on my tits, it's not even a particularly fun mission (well the bit I'm on anyway...)

Is the whole of Liberty City open from the start in the new version?

Yep and you start with decent weapons etc - it makes a huge difference. I love the whole vibe of TLAD. I have spent ages just riding around exploring my new surroundings and chilling out. I think I have only done about three of the missions so far.