Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner

Lothar Hex

That fight is a complete bastard. I seem to remember as I went up the difficulty levels, rather than grabbing them, the clods ould either explode for no reason or would grab me even though I was behind them and well away from them. Then there's still the countering Viola's slashes...

Despite all this I want to play it again. Just like I do everytime I come in this thread.

What difficulty were you playing it on Cyhwuhx?

That fight is a complete bastard. I seem to remember as I went up the difficulty levels, rather than grabbing them, the clods ould either explode for no reason or would grab me even though I was behind them and well away from them. Then there's still the countering Viola's slashes...

Despite all this I want to play it again. Just like I do everytime I come in this thread.

What difficulty were you playing it on Cyhwuhx?

.::: Normal. I don't want to know what the thing does on Hard.

Essentially the equivalent of having the Microsoft Paperclip come up every few seconds saying:

"Hello! You appear to be trying to defeat something? Would like me to:

- Remove a large portion of you health.

- Make the enemy you're trying to grab explode."

Is it one of those bits where you can grab bits of the surrounding architecture and use it as a shield? That was a clever idea.

.::: Yes, yes it was.

But then they removed said clever idea and forced you to do it with enemies, that Russian-grab you if you screw up in the slightest.

• 5 months later...

Been looking to pick this up for a long time but never wanted to pay the high ebay prices. Now the reprint is out i picked up a new copy for just £16, chexcellent! Loved the intro, really makes me want to get back into anime again and that theme tune. I used to listen to that all the time for some reason years back and now i know where it came from. The intro is very odd though, almost like Konami got 3 or 4 trailers for the game and put them back to back.

Just played the first half hour and im enjoying it, the fighting works just like the cinematics show which impressed me. I expected the camera to either stay behind your mech or to miss half the action. Is the first game worth picking up if you have this?

Is the first game worth picking up if you have this?

If you really like it, yes - but the first one is a lot more raw, nowhere near as polished, and the cutscenes are in-engine (well, they're not, but they're designed to look as though they area).

I suppose overall the answer is yes, it's worth picking up, as it'll cost about £4.

If you really like it, yes - but the first one is a lot more raw, nowhere near as polished, and the cutscenes are in-engine (well, they're not, but they're designed to look as though they area).

I suppose overall the answer is yes, it's worth picking up, as it'll cost about £4.

It also has awful awful CG cutscenes. (Take a look at the 'previously on ZOE' option in ZOE2 for a peek).

I saw it in town for £1.99 last week and was tempted myself...

• 13 years later...

🧙 "ARISE!"

Gave this another spin after watching Brando's vid.

My previous issues with the game were definitely me playing WAY TO DEFENSIVE. For instance, go aggressive and Vic Viper's a piece of cake. Play defensive and you'll be floating around for half an hour getting wrecked by Ripples. Looking forward to the AIVIOLA fight now.

Regardless, the PS4 MARS edition looks amazing (this is PS2's Wind Waker, if anything) and the soundtrack is still superb. Just a shame the cutscenes are awkwardly upscaled for HD.

Might even attempt the VR mode... 👀

I loved ZOE2 at the time of the original, and I rinsed it again with the HD version on PS3, but loved it a little less. The constant cutscene interruptions (and poor translations) started to feel dated and bugged me in a way that MGS never did.

I was then super excited to play the MARS version in VR, but after tying the demo they made the bone headed decision to yank you out of VR into 2D for every single bit of dialogue with the character portraits. The dialogue is constant in this game! It was exactly the opposite of immersive.

Please let me know if the full game fixed that though…

Just now, Darwock said:

I loved ZOE2 at the time of the original, and I rinsed it again with the HD version on PS3, but loved it a little less. The constant cutscene interruptions (and poor translations) started to feel dated and bugged me in a way that MGS never did.

I was then super excited to play the MARS version in VR, but after tying the demo they made the bone headed decision to yank you out of VR into 2D for every single bit of dialogue with the character portraits. The dialogue is constant in this game! 

Ahw, that's a shame. Especially when that could've worked great had they projected it angled against the UI/vockpit view layer. :(

14 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Isn’t this another excellent game that received a daft score in Edge? 

Edge Magazine

4/10

In action the game is undeniably pretty, as long as you can stomach the monstrous camera. But beyond the anime-inspired visuals, the action turgidly limps along without ever really engaging or entertaining. [May 2003, p.94]

:ph34r: (Maybe it was a Cacky review?)

So yeah. I'm officially not rubbish at the game any more as I just smashed through AIVIOLA's multistage Clod-infested fight. :ph34r: It's great, though I do think the game wants to mix things up just a tad too much at times. A few more vanilla explore and defeat sequences would've been welcome.