IGNORED

The electronica thread

Shoes

Also, I'd urge anybody to check out some of James Holden's work, as well as most of the other stuff from his 'Border Community' label. The Nathan Fake album 'Drowning in a Sea of Love' is particularly nice.

Maybe I've heard it too much, but I find 'Drowning in a Sea of Love' kind of boring, Nathan Fake's progressive releases are way more interesting.

Well if this is supposed to be generally about electronic gubbins, I'll take it as an opportunity to big up Radioactive man, and tell you all to go find Airlock from wherever you may choose right now, as it's fantastic.

Most of his music I'd describe as experimental shit. :wub: I felt like I'd been robbed after buying Booby Trap on the strength of "Fed Ex To Munchen", which I really like.

"But it's just lots of... fucking noise!"

It's hit and miss, and he is loads better if you go see him live. I was turned onto him after randomly watching him at Glasto a few years ago.

The tracks that are good, though, are supreme IMO.

I do like loads of fucking noise as well, which probably helps :wub:

Hey, I just bought this too! I bought it off the back of his collaborations with Eno, but i'm thoroughly delighted to have discovered there's a load of Cluster / Harmonium tracks. Crazy packaging too.

Dunno how I missed this one, Rodelius isn't the sort of name you forget that easily. Heard a few tracks off it on the radio over the last few weeks and it's really good stuff, Isleta sounds like a Max Richter track.

It's hit and miss, and he is loads better if you go see him live. I was turned onto him after randomly watching him at Glasto a few years ago.

The tracks that are good, though, are supreme IMO.

I do like loads of fucking noise as well, which probably helps :D

Honestly, it sounds like he made two decent tracks for the album: Airlock and Fed Ex and then just threw lots of random samples together on every other track.

'Av That is a decent tune also, I guess.

Mr Do knows the score, that's a fine list. Bytes is a good place to start I reckon. I'd have to add LFO's Frequencies and Aphex's Polygon Window stuff. Plus Drexciya, the only problem being that their best release (the CD version of The Quest) commands silly prices now.

I'd third Bytes as recommendation. Was that really made in 1992/93? I picked that up a year ago, and it just sounds so...I don't know the word to use, fresh? Who where Black Dog Productions anyways? I know Plaid was formed from two members of BDP, but the titles of tracks credit different artist names like Balil and Caz (or Cas, I can't remember now...).

Oh and could I just add that it annoys me when people say oh I listen to electronica.. I like Aphex Twin, Autechre etc.. I mean come on there’s more artists out there than you can shake a stick at!

That would be the likes of me then! :o I really need to branch out of the Warp stable, I'll look at some of the recommendations here and post back some thoughts. Keep 'em coming (with a little description pls!).

I'd third Bytes as recommendation. Was that really made in 1992/93? I picked that up a year ago, and it just sounds so...I don't know the word to use, fresh? Who where Black Dog Productions anyways? I know Plaid was formed from two members of BDP, but the titles of tracks credit different artist names like Balil and Caz (or Cas, I can't remember now...).

Plaid were actually around before The Black Dog, check out Trainer for their early stuff. Some of it's suprisingly house-y and really good.

Electronica I've been listening to mostly recently...

Errors - How Clean Is Your Acid House?

Cougar - Law (bit Four Tet ish rather than pure electronica)

Aphex Twin - Chosen Lords (and still kicking myself that I didn't pick up the Analord singles)

All quite magnificent...

24. Don't think I'll be growing out of it.

But I wouldn't strictly define Cops as trance.

Yeah, I got it yesterday. And it's pretty good. It's the kind of stuff I like. That and melodic/epic trance. Mm, early-Lange!

Aphex Twin - Chosen Lords (and still kicking myself that I didn't pick up the Analord singles)

Is that all mixed together nicely or do tracks just fade in and out of each other?

I'm selling a few of the vinyls if you're interested? Check the link in my sig.

Stuff i've been listening to a lot recently, very impressive.

Ryoji Ikeda - Dataplex (Raster-Notion)

Venetian Snares - Calvacade Of Glee & Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms (Mayhem)

Ohhh!!! - Landslide (Badboxr)

Acrnym - Sense Data (Give Daddy The Knife)

Boxcutter - Oneiric (Planet Mu)

Vytear - Semmy Music (Bumpy)

• 2 weeks later...

Have been hovering up a fair bit of electronica recently - just wondering where online people get their stuff. Ordered quite a bit from Boomkat recently but I really want the Farben album on cd and can't seem to locate it for a decent price anywhere.

Have been hovering up a fair bit of electronica recently - just wondering where online people get their stuff. Ordered quite a bit from Boomkat recently but I really want the Farben album on cd and can't seem to locate it for a decent price anywhere.

Boomkat and Juno seem to have a pretty decent selection between them. There is always Oink and Soulseek for anything else.