IGNORED

The electronica thread

Shoes

Ahh, what a song :) , not heard it for a long while.

Only version I have is on vinyl on Electro 5 which I can not believe is also that old.

Must dig that back out - I fancy abit of Arthur Baker " breakers Revenge" as well.

cheers for the download.

Yeah I'm always expecting Ca-Ca-Ca-Ca-Captain Rock to start dropping in toward the end.

To those that enjoyed - you're welcome, truly a forgotten classic.

What do people think of Jean Michel Jarre?

Equinoxe is quite gay/cool, I think.

I like some of his stuff, namely all of Oxygene, most of Equinoxe, and the whole of Zoolook. The latter is absolutely barking, if you haven't heard it before. It has real bass on some of the tracks and sounds in places like an extension of Vangelis' Blade Runner soundtrack.

I suggest people check Bruce Haack out. Well, his music, anyway. He's on Rough Trade's 'Electronic 01' compilation, which is excellent and worth buying, electronic fans, and I recently downloaded a few of his LPs. Very good. Psychadelic electro-rock. Mm.

Wendy Carlos is good. In a similar vein, Japanese man Tomita does the same type of stuff. He's very good, too.

I'll have a listen to some of 12k's stuff.

BoomKat have a fantastic Moor sale on at the moment, and I picked up Lali Puna's Scary World Theory, which I really like. I'll have to investigate some more on the label.

BoomKat is great generally. Lots of cheap Ninja Tune stuff on there now. They charge postage, but some of their stuff is really cheap, and they always deliver farily quickly. Three thumbs up!

Lali Puna are incredible. All the VA Morr releases are great for getting to know a new artist. Blue 'an Clear Skied is particularly special.

Is Futureshock still around? He has the best taste in electronica, merely because he knows all the sweet German stuff.

Early Electronic ... you might like to check out a compilation (quite pricey though) called Ohm : The Early Gurus Of Electronic Music 1948-1980 (sadly out of stock on Boomkat). It's more experimental stuff, but really very interesting indeed.

If you want more melodic old electronic, try a bit of Mort Garson, Dick Hyman, Jean-Jaques Perrey - it's a bit cheesy, but interesting nonetheless.

And of course there are all those BBC Radiophonic Workshop comps about too.

I think we ought to treat this as the house and Soul threads....Anyway..for merge, ZOK, acidbearboy, and anyone else....

Ian O'Brien's sublime "Dark Eye Tango"...

This is a lovely slow tempo tango rhythm builds up using a lovely array of warm pads and a very simple two note pattern.

Then at 3.05 the groove rolls, the strings chords are brought in and that simple pattern suddenly makes more sence supplementing the lush chords.

Your hairs will point spacewards and you may well cry...try not to think of sad things. :blink:

http://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?acti...681B45562BF38B5

Enjoy. AB

I think we ought to treat this as the house and Soul threads....Anyway..for merge, ZOK, acidbearboy, and anyone else....

This is a lovely slow tempo tango rhythm builds up using a lovely array of warm pads and a very simple two note pattern.

Then at 3.05 the groove rolls, the strings chords are brought in and that simple pattern suddenly makes more sence supplementing the lush chords.

Your hairs will point spacewards and you may well cry...try not to think of sad things. :blink:

Enjoy. AB

That's lovely. It reminds me of B12 but with more inventive use of percussion.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a look at that Warehouse Project site the other week and there was no bill on there that jumped out at me as worth going to Manchester for, some good stuff but a bit spread out. Obviously I either missed the LFO and Autechre one or they've just added it recently.

Should be amazing, I've never seen LFO despite them being local boys* and the only time I've seen Autechre was over five years ago. Can't fucking wait.

*'Local boy' now, I gather Mark Bell's the only one left.

• 4 weeks later...

Should be amazing, I've never seen LFO despite them being local boys and the only time I've seen Autechre was over five years ago. Can't fucking wait.

I really need to get my shit together for this. I've not seen Autechre for years either. Hopefully they'll, y'know, play something with beats this time.

I've also just noticed that the Underground Resistance night is the same fucking weekend as Bath. Arse.

Console yourself with the fact that the last time I went there (for Squarepusher), it was fucking shite. They let far too many people in which meant most people couldn't even get into the room where he was playing. Having said that, I saw Chris Clark and Milanese in there once and it was really good so maybe that was a one-off.

Technically I could go, but it'd have to be by myself so it'd be a bit crap.

• 4 weeks later...
The Music Show, Prog 1/6 NEW

Sunday 5 November 2006

BBC TWO Scotland, 7.30-8.00pm

bbc.co.uk/musicshow

"Also featured this week are Glasgow art-rock trio F.O Machete who perform What’s The Signal and"

Scottish electronic duo, Boards of Canada, aka brothers Michael and Marcus Eoin Sandison with the

track Dayvan Cowboy."

“The series gets off to a great start with performances from The Fratellis, F.O Machete, Quinn and

Boards of Canada and there’s also the chance for one of five new bands to be selected to have a

video made for them by The Music Show team and gain a session on my Monday night Radio

Scotland show, via audience voting on our website. Exciting stuff."

Boards of Canada on TV? Mm.

Ooooooh <_<

Will be watching that then.

Dear Mr Shoes

Thank you for your e-mail regarding 'The Music Show'.

I understand that you are interested to know whether the band Boards of Canada will be appearing live on the programme.

I am afraid to say that the band will be appearing in a video and not live in the studio.

Thank you for taking the trouble to write and for your interest in the BBC.

Regards

Mark Campbell

BBC Information Scotland

So it's most likely the Dayvan Cowboy promo. Sigh!

some funky alternatives worth a butchers....

J Saul Kane (Depth Charge, Octagon Man) - top drawer mostly film sampling beats. His Depth Charge moniker is more Hip Hop influenced, Octagon Man is more electro.

Middleton/Pritchard - I can't believe no-ones mentioned these two geniuses (apologies if anyone has!) Look for Reload (techno), Global Communication (ambient), Jedi Knights (electro) and a whole host of other names..

Tipper - Early stuff is what they used to call Nu-Skool Breaks :lol: but later stuff is straight up electronics, interestingly his last album was released in surround sound.

I could continue....

• 2 weeks later...

Your hairs will point spacewards and you may well cry...try not to think of sad things. :)

Enjoy. AB

Can someone upload this again please?