IGNORED

The Dark Knight

Goose

It's probably the E3 hype overdose that did it, and the quote of Morrison's just pushed me over the edge into faux-outrage. I was aware that by criticising some demi-god's overheated writing I might attract plenty of criticism myself, but that's a poor reason not to, I thought. My apologies to anyone who feels offended.

In any case, I'm sure you realise that this has nothing to do with the film (or any other film, including The Invisibles) and more to do with the style and tone of plenty of modern-day film (or anything) reviewing - as cheekily alluded to by Morrison himself in that very same piece. So don't take it all to heart, eh?

Move along, lads.

Morrisson isn't a film critic though, just a writer who operates in the world of comics and happens to have seen the film. He liked it and gave his opinion, like so many of us do over here. And let's face it: 'Cunt. Lazy, glib, illiterate cunt.' isn't the most insightful critique either.

EDIIT: I noticed Ulala's last post after I wrote this, so... :)

Thanks, Red.

I wasn't really worked up, therearerules. It was just an opportunity to, as Ulala said, lay a bit of balance down in a Victor Meldrew stylee. Hence the use of bad language.

I did mean the part where I said I was looking forward to the film, though, and I do get weary of post-post-zeitgeist hyperbole that seems to suggest a comic book adaptation is going to change the world, or that dignity is a form of headwear. I trust the film will be a bit more grounded than that, and that's why I think it's going to be great.

I only just saw the IMAX Prologue thing on Blu-ray. It's made the anticipation grow even more.

What do they mean by IMAX Prologue anyway? Is this a scene exclusive to IMAX screenings, as far as theatrical releases are concerned?

And that line from The Joker :P

I only just saw the IMAX Prologue thing on Blu-ray. It's made the anticipation grow even more.

What do they mean by IMAX Prologue anyway? Is this a scene exclusive to IMAX screenings, as far as theatrical releases are concerned?

And that line from The Joker :P

They basically filmed a few scenes with Imax cameras. These will be in the normal theatrical release as well, but they'll look a lot nicer if watched in an Imax theatre.

I really enjoyed this. First five minutes alone remind you why Nolan's such a good choice- everything just seems a little bit different and off-kilter compared to other superhero movies. The only real problem I had with it was not realising that Maggie Gyllenhaal was playing the same character that Katie Holmes was playing in the first one- and it took me a worryingly long amount of time to pick up on this, after which a bunch of stuff suddenly made a lot more sense.

That and the fact that some woman thought it was a good idea to bring her whining kid to a ten pm screening. Although the grim and oppressive mood of the movie eventually shut the kid up. Pretty satisfying all round although (spoiler about the end)

the decision Batman made about his image felt a bit unnecessary- surely it would have made more sense to blame the Joker for everything, keeping Dent's reputation intact, and not making Batman the bad guy

Oh it's on baby!

UPDATED 07/18 10 a.m. PDT: According to DHD, midnight showings for The Dark Knight have shattered the midnight showing record set in 2005 by Stars Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith. TDK reportedly racked up $17 million in grosses last night and that number could go higher once final tallies are in, compared to $16 mill for Sith. Moreover, Fandango has announced that the film currently ranks second for Top Advanced Ticket Sales of All Time.

I went to see The Dark Knight at the IMAX last night. I'd previously seen the opening sequence there, before I Am Legend, but was keen to know if this change in screen size was going to be a bit distracting through the rest of the film. Thankfully the technique is used far more than I was expecting and Nolan has chosen some great moments at which to go BIG. Also the switch back to standard size tended to go virtually unnoticed and made the whole experience feel very smooth indeed. If you can, go see this at the IMAX! For a film that clocks in at 2 hours and 40 minutes it rattles along at a furious pace, at times feeling more like a ’Previously On…’ section, but there is a hell of a lot to cram in in order to feel the full impact of what goes down in the final act. Heath Ledger as the Joker has had a lot of serious hype, what with the Oscar talk and all, and his performance is as good as I had hoped. Never venturing into camp (well, kind of but that’s spoiler territory), his more in tune with the dark brooding moment when Nicholson’s version said “Wait till they get a load of me” and then being amused by how evil and insane he knows he has become. I wont mention the plot, but Nolan masterfully pulls off some great twists and turns along the way. The structure is strong and you feel the Joker’s presence throughout. Sadly though, Nolan still seem to struggle when bringing the action, a new lightweight batsuit doesn’t mean we get to appreciate Batman’s hand to hand combat anymore than in Begins. There are some great set pieces though and the bike (which I wasn’t really looking forward to) is actually awesome. A device towards the end didn’t work for me at all, but I’ll happily endure a couple crappy scene in a film that’s scope is so big that it was playing through my mind all night and I’m really looking forward to watching it again soon. Oh and the Joker has the best introduction of any comic book baddy, its just incredibly well done!!!

Nice to hear that, I have tickets for the Imax in Manchester for this on friday. Cant wait!

On another note, I was looking on wikipedia about some of the comics/graphic novels. I didnt realise this was part of the Dark Knight returns story (dont worry, no spoilers....or I'm very worried if there are).

"Bruce wayne then finger fucks robin, but unluckily his fingeris stuck in robbins vagina this allows batman to reach his condom and fuck her three times a day, the joker joines batman by fucking robin in her ass, two face appears and puts his penis in robins mouth."

I'd say this is up there with Iron Man. Although

Dent is sadly underused (I had hoped they'd leave him out there for a sequel), and there's quite a bit of clunky dialogue explaining themes

, it's a hugely entertaining action movie with an unforgettable villain. As far as special effects go the Dent...

CGI? Makeup? Anamatronics? Whatever it was, it was absolutely convincing.

Sadly though, Nolan still seem to struggle when bringing the action, a new lightweight batsuit doesn’t mean we get to appreciate Batman’s hand to hand combat anymore than in Begins. There are some great set pieces though and the bike (which I wasn’t really looking forward to) is actually awesome. A device towards the end didn’t work for me at all

Agree completely. The whole Bat-Bike thing was outstanding, but that last gadget felt like an excuse to liven up the end with

Fox's voiceover

rather than a particular sensible set-piece in its own right.

I think the fact he was in a crap Braveheart retread, a crap historical underdog movie and several undemanding teen movies had a lot to do with it. Brokeback was the only reason anyone had any hope.

WRONG. A Knight's Tale is one of the greatest movies of all time.

ALL TIME.

We could be looking at a weekend of record breaking -

TOP SINGLE DAY GROSSES

Rank Title (click to view) Studio Opening Day / % of Total Theaters / Average Date Total Gross

1 The Dark Knight WB $66,400,000 100.0% 4,366 $15,208 F 7/18/08 $66,400,000

2 Spider-Man 3 Sony $59,841,919 17.8% 4,252 $14,074 F 5/04/07 $336,530,303

3 Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest BV $55,830,600 13.2% 4,133 $13,508 F 7/07/06 $423,315,812

4 Star Wars: Episode III - Revenge of the Sith Fox $50,013,859 13.2% 3,661 $13,661 Th 5/19/05 $380,270,577

Just saw this today. Wonderful, wonderful movie. One thing I want to know is

how did they do Harvey's disfigured face? I couldn't stop looking, trying to find the seams. It's not CG, is it? Some kind of muppettry tied to some clever optical illusion?

tis completely cg.

Well i aint seen the film, but i've just listened to the OST and.... :)

My playlist has taken on an ever so slightly obsessive and repetitive look this week:

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

Like A Dog Chasing Cars

etc.

Oh fuck, I cannot wait to see this film. My anticipation is greater than it's been for any film...roll on next Saturday, for me.

I'm now of the opinion that Batman & Robin is one of the most important films of the last couple of decades. I'm overwhelmingly pleased it was made and that it was as it was otherwise this new series of films would never have occurred in such a way.

Yep, it took $66M for Friday, which includes an estimated $18M for the Midnight/3am/6am showings. Spiderman 3 dropped on Saturday and Sunday but Dark Knight should still take the record (or come damn close) even if it too dips slightly. It might have a slower Sunday due to the number of early screenings it would have had. Word of mouth is slaughtering that of Spiderman 3, so repeat screenings will also make decent money.