The Dark Knight

Goose

Just read the last paragrpah. Spoiler free but full of laughs.

I got down to this;

Batman does a neat trick of lassoing a truck so that it does a back flip

I didn't know he was responsible for that, so alarm bells started ringing.

I just read your post properly.

Edited by danbotding

What?

RDJ just played RDJ. Like he always does. If anything, its just luck that this corresponded closely with the fictional persona of Stark. I don't think it did though.

RDJ is a performer, but like Tom Cruise and many other modern performers, he just plays himself.

Ledger was, and Bale is, a professional. They take the character and make it their own. That's acting.

See for all the love that Bale gets, is he really a character actor? i mean is their really that much difference between any of his performances? Batman, Reign of Fire, American Psycho, The Machinist... He just always to be the same miserable, serious yet charismatic Schizo.

I think Heath is most definately a character actor. He's so different in everything, from i'm not There, to Lords of Dogtown to A Knights Tale to Brothers Grimm. He can play aloof, depressed, charming, confused etc etc. I'm not sure i'd buy Bale in a slapstic for example.

Also, I think Tom Cruise is an incredible actor. he is just now cursed with being too famous. He's put in some fabulously subtle performances (Rain man) as well as some bombastic showboating stuff.

Also, I think Tom Cruise is an incredible actor. he is just now cursed with being too famous. He's put in some fabulously subtle performances (Rain man) as well as some bombastic showboating stuff.

Yeah i'd go with that. I can't stand seeing the guy interviewed but I find it really easy to get behind almost anything he plays.

I honestly don't think Tom Cruise has played a decent role in years.

Wow it's a long film - had heard it was, but every time I thought it was going to wrap up, it went off in another direction. That's my favourite thing about it though, it doesn't stick to the template a lot of comic films do - the whole track baddie to lair, blow lair up third act.

Really impressed by Ledger and Eckhart. It's probably not hard to do a good turn as the Joker, it's such a great part - but he's just unrecognisable as the guy from Brokeback Mountain. What a way to bow out.

I can't see Nolan coming back for a third though,

especially without Ledger. Would they recast the part or just sort of forget the Joker's around?

I can't see Nolan coming back for a third though,

especially without Ledger. Would they recast the part or just sort of forget the Joker's around?

Just leave him locked up somewhere. Possibly mentioned in news/passing...maybe some of the footage on news reports? Is Two-Face dead at the end? I've seen conflicitng reports....

In answer to your question, Hexx. Yes, very much so. However, I suspect people will argue about that particular point for years.

Ta. I knew

Harvey Dent was (at least in the public eyes), but didn't know whether the character was really dead, or just dead and hidden somewhere to preserve the image of the White Knight. I was being put to sleep by Bales incredibly slow voice over though.

I'm pumped for you guys. I want to see it again. I nearly went again at lunchtime today, but 2.5 a hour lunch break is pushing it a bit 2 days running.

It's SO GOOD, though. SO FUCKING GOOD.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did.

When you've seen it, right, just come in here and post "FUCK YEAH!". That's all we need.

"One of the greatest films ever made" - Jonathan Ross on Batman Forever.

Just sayin'.

From what I remember that was a bet he had with his brother Paul to see which of them could get there quotes from a review on the poster of the worst movie they could find. He realised he had fucked up a fair bit when he saw the poster on a billboard in London and they had printed "One of the greatest films ever made" in bigger font than the title of the film right at the top of the poster.

Edit - sorry Kelthink had already said this a few posts later.

And on and on...

News

The Dark Knight Crushes $200 Million Record

Source: Media by Numbers

July 23, 2008

Warner Bros. Pictures' The Dark Knight broke another record on Tuesday becoming the fastest ever to cross the $200 million mark in five days! The previous record of eight days was held by three films - Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest, Spider-Man 2 and Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Christopher Nolan's Batman Begins follow-up added $20.855 million on Tuesday to push its massive total to $203.7 million. That puts it at #84 already on the all-time domestic blockbuster list after just five days.

Right now, the only number we have for international markets is $41.3 million but that will start going up significantly as the movie is opening in many countries Thursday and Friday as well as into August.

So let's recap - widest release (4,366 theaters), biggest opening weekend ($158.4M), biggest July opener ($158.4M), biggest PG-13 rated opening ($158.4M), biggest single day ($67.2M), biggest opening day ($67.2M), biggest Friday ($67.2M), biggest Sunday ($43.6M) and fastest to $200M in five days ($203.7M).

Im really pleased that this is doing well, after the way Warners have handled the project; giving Christopher Nolan complete control over the whole film, not cutting or changing anything after Ledger's death, the months of fantastic marketings and giving this film the budget it got after the first film got the numbers it did, they deserve a box office smash like this. I just hope they do the same for the next one and let Nolan do everything in his own time and the way he wants it to be done.

Ive booked my tickets for 10:30am tomorrow (sadly I couldnt get any tickets for tonight and Odeon were charging 6 quid more for them anyway). I really cant wait :)

Question about the Joker in the comics... He falls into a vat of acid or whatever, and his face is 'deformed' but in what way?

I read the Killing Joke yesterday, and at the start batman rubs the jokers face and the white paint comes off, yet i thought the acid had made his face white because I can't see what else could possibly be 'deformed' if that makes sense.

So what has the acid or whatever it was he fell into actually done to 'deform' his face?

Question about the Joker in the comics... He falls into a vat of acid or whatever, and his face is 'deformed' but in what way?

I read the Killing Joke yesterday, and at the start batman rubs the jokers face and the white paint comes off, yet i thought the acid had made his face white because I can't see what else could possibly be 'deformed' if that makes sense.

So what has the acid or whatever it was he fell into actually done to 'deform' his face?

Um, that's not the joker in the cell but a decoy who has helped the joker escape. I think you need to look at that page again.

And another thing: in episode 2F09, when Itchy plays Scratchy's skeleton like a xylophone, he strikes the same rib twice in succession, yet he produces two clearly different tones. I mean, what are we to believe, that this is some sort of a 'magic xylophone' or something? Boy, I really hope somebody got fired for that blunder.

Um, that's not the joker in the cell but a decoy who has helped the joker escape. I think you need to look at that page again.

Ah fuck! Makes sense now :)

My first batman comic.

Can anyone recommend me other good ones? The darker, the better :)

Batman: Year One and The Long Halloween are both good choices.

But if you're after something dark, I'd go for Grant Morrison's Arkham Asylum. It has a very stylised, gothic look and is probably the darkest Batman story I've ever read.