IGNORED

The Dark Knight

Goose

The use of computer graphics was well subtle in this - The only point in the whole thing where one looked really obvious to me was the helicopter.

I'd be interested to know how they did that explosion - it's one of the best FX shots I've ever seen. Utter genius. I presume it was some combination of live action, modelwork and CGI, but it was completely seamless. And went on for ages.

I do hope Nolan comes back and delivers a third film.

Nolan and the rest of the cast have contracts for 3 movies and Nolan has already said he would be doing a third as far as I know (and after the huge success of TDK Warners will do everything to get him back for one more). Although Nolan also said that he has no intention of doing more than 3 movies sadly, so the next one will be the last with Nolan at the helm.

As for characters my bets are the Riddler and Catwoman

Fox's comment about the suit being fine agaisnt cats seemed to be a little more than a just an in joke. Plus now that Racheal is gone there is no love interest for Wayne which is the one area that Begins and Dark Knight never really looked into.

The Riddler is the obvious choice.

I'm sure whoever Nolan chooses, if he continues, he'll change them to fit into the universe he created, but I doubt he can top this and the Joker/Two-Face storyline.

What about the one with the old Ebola?

The Penguin doesn't really have an army of penguins, Adam, nor is he a deformed circus freak, that was just in Burton's endearingly demented sequel.

Thinking about it, Bob Hoskins doing Harold Shand in Gotham would be a decent enough way of handling the character, a viscious mob boss with delusions of grandeur. He's pretty second-teir though and unlike most of the Batman's enemies, he's not nuts, just a crook so you'd probably need something else going on to up the ante.

Riddler is the most logical choice (allegedly, David Tennant has a hard on for the part) but he's also a bit Joker-lite and has never really been portrayed as an outright psychopath ala Harvey and the Joker, he's not a killer. He's just an crook with OCD who can't help trying to show how smart he is by leaving clues and puzzles behind. While a Jigsaw/John Doe/Scorpio approach has been suggested a lot, it's really not in character and, for all the changes made, Nolan has remained quite true to the characters so far.

Catwoman isn't interesting enough to do a whole film on, Ivy and Freeze are both kinda 'out there' plus have the Batman & Robin stigma still fresh in audiences minds. That film did actually make full use of Freeze's tragic backstory so reusing it would be seen as too much of a retread while not using it passes up the thing that makes the character so great in the first place. Personally, I'd love to see the Ventriloquist just because it's such a demented concept but at the same time he's rather small fry and the Joker's antics have left a bugger of a problem to overcome as just about everything else is going to come across small scale now in comparison...

Well I think Talia Al Ghul could provide both a love interest and a villian, which might be interesting

The trouble with that is that will mean further infuriating mispronouncing of "Ra's". I'm genuinely not normally some geeky fanboy shit who jumps on details, but the way they say "Rarrs" and not "Raish" in Batman Begins makes me want to kill puppies.

Badies for the next one:

Fox's comment about cats was one.. and anyone rember the name of the guy trying to blackmail Wayne? Reese, 'Mister Reese' Fox calls him. think about it

Genius

You're a genius

Also why does a bad guy in the next film have to be equally or more psychotic than the Joker?

Who says we even need a big bad guy as the focus?

It sounds like this film has missed out on what Begins also missed out on - Batman taking down ordinary criminals and criminal gangs, detective work and so on.

Does every film have to be Batman VS Whoever?

I dunno.

I'd be interested to know how they did that explosion - it's one of the best FX shots I've ever seen. Utter genius. I presume it was some combination of live action, modelwork and CGI, but it was completely seamless. And went on for ages.

You referring to the Hospital Explosion? They really blew up a hospital in Chicago for that. There is some cg windows and debris but it's 90% live action. http://www.myfoxchicago.com/myfox/pages/Ho....1.1&sflg=1

oli I hope the post before this wasnt a spoiler for the film.

Oh sorry no. People were saying that they aren't surprised Ledger killed himself because his performance was creepy. I was wondering if this was going to be a public opinion now that he killed himself because of playing the Joker, despite every interview with cast and crew stating otherwise

Oh sorry no. People were saying that they aren't surprised Ledger killed himself because his performance was creepy. I was wondering if this was going to be a public opinion now that he killed himself because of playing the Joker, despite every interview with cast and crew stating otherwise

Well, as his death was an accidental overdose, I hope people don't think that.

Well, as his death was an accidental overdose, I hope people don't think that.

Well thats kind of my point. Several people in my office have seen it and pretty much every single one of them has said the same thing, with a couple of them going as far as to qualify it by saying they read in a the paper that he killed himself because the role was so intense

The Daily Mail and its associated magazines seem to believe this tripe. What idiots.

Bought my ticket for the ten o'clock showing tonight. I can't wait!

Who says we even need a big bad guy as the focus?

It sounds like this film has missed out on what Begins also missed out on - Batman taking down ordinary criminals and criminal gangs, detective work and so on.

Does every film have to be Batman VS Whoever?

I dunno.

When are you going to watch the film? Its a bit boring talking in depth with someone about a film they've not even seen.

I'm not talking in depth about the Dark Knight.

Why are you posting so much in the Dark Knight thread then? Just talking a load of shit? You've probably spoiled the film a shitload for yourself as well. Go and watch it now, I demand it.

Why are you posting so much in the Dark Knight thread then? Just talking a load of shit? You've probably spoiled the film a shitload for yourself as well. Go and watch it now, I demand it.

I promised to see it first with a friend.

I prolly won't get to see it untill next weekend.

I love packed screenings! The laughter, the applause at the end, great atmosphere.

If it's a good crowd, yeah.

Ok, i'm wrong, packed screenings (provided people don't talk) are the best cinema experience, a collective thing.

But I can't see many of the screenings in the West End having much free space tonight.

I can't be bothered running around London looking for a screening.

Wait, wait. Smitty hasn't even seen this and he's criticising it?

I haven't criticised anything.

Unlike Indiana Jones, which sounded like shite, this sounds excellent and has been almost universally praised through the roof.