IGNORED

The Dark Knight

Goose

It took me a while to work out why Dent was so angry with Gordon... it was because he kept telling Gordon his men couldn't be trusted and Gordon didn't listen, and then the corrupt cops kidnapped Rachel, resulting in her death. That's it, right? It wasn't as if Harvey had just lost the plot totally, there was a twisted logic to what he was doing.

That's basically what I thought.

Spoilers!

I watched it last night, thought it was really good. It sitting on top of the IMDB top 250 still grates me a bit even after seeing it, but it was really enjoyable still.

Why? You a Shawshank or Godfather fan then?

Saw this at the IMAX last night.

Brilliant film, and the IMAX is something else, it felt such a step above than a cinema experience. No 3D though? I thought that was what IMAX did?

But did anyone else come out feeling shattered? The size of the screen and the relentless pace of the film, meant I couldn't really process what had happened for a while. A visual onslaught and brilliant for it.

I have to admit, I was overwhelmed by a lot of the action sequences, but I was sat about 3 rows away from the screen over to the left, and I couldn't move my head fast enough to take it all in. Another viewing from a more appropriate distance is on the cards for me.

One more point: Did anyone else feel Gotham wasn't Gothic or dark enough? No dark alley ways, just glitzy offices and penthouses, it could have been anywhere. When, in Batman, Gotham itself should be a character too.

Funnily enough, I thought this would bother me too. In Batman Begins I was disappointed at the lack of Gothic artifice in Gotham city, as it would've suited the fear-based storyline and the Scarecrow, but in The Dark Knight the story and the city gelled together a lot more cohesively - well, for me at least.

well its a composite of places isn't it. Gotham is really based on New York, the word Gotham describes a region of Manhattan doesn't it? They used Chicago for the waterways and many of the locations resonate with New York. A lot of it was digitally augmented though and i thought that it was really well done. Was impressed that the ferries and the water were completely digital. Good job.

Ledger was fantastic, but his style of speech seemed to change now and again - I really liked his squeaky, maniacal cackling voice than the more normal one. Better than Nicholsons joker, way better. He stole every scene he was in.

Nicholsons Joker was more of al joker, like the original one, whereas Ledgers was just really fucked up.

Just got back from seeing this and...

Brilliant. More or less relentlessly bleak while managing to be completely compelling from start to finish. It's really quite interesting to see how much darkness and violence you can pile into a 12a nowadays - the barrier moves ever higher. It's the kind of thing which would've been a no questions asked 18 if released in 1984.

I loved it.

I'm on a crap PC at the moment so can't read what others have said but the film did not disappoint. There are flaws and the current IMDB rating is ridiculous but as a summer blockbuster goes I was spellbound. It was epic, spectacular and held my attention throughout. It is head and shoulders above any other comic book adaptation mainly because it doesn't feel constrained by its source material. Dent's transformation had much more emotional resonance and significance here than in any of the comic book versions of the tale and I adored Ledger's performance.

It reminded me of Jurassic Park in that the films faults were of no importance to me as the director had created such an engrossing world filled with wonderous things that any niggles seemed entirely inconsequential. That is a rare experience with film in general let alone the normally disappointing area of the summer blockbuster.

Absolutely postiviely fucking brilliant...

... except for Dent.

I enjoyed his scenes when he was just plain old Harvey Dent, but he lacked any kind of menace as Two-Face.

And the love-interest angle was predictably duller than piss.

But, to end this post on a positive note, it's fucking brilliant regardless. Brilliant brilliant brilliant.

Because Graham S its a superhero movie - what did you expect?. Its a man dressed in a bat suit fighting crime out of some obligation to his parents.

As for best movie ever?, its certainly one of my favourites simply because the whole experience was so wonderful, from the pacing, tension, emotions, beautifully pictured etc. Also I'm a huge comic fan too which helps to boot.

I don't think anyone's saying it's the best movie ever made. For me it's probably my favourite film in a long time.
I totally fucking loved it. It truly is the best comic book hero movie, and out there with the best movies ever made if you ask me. The only strange thing is that you don't expect it to be that at all, but it is.

As for my expectations, they were pretty much met by the second half of the film. For some of the rest of it, I'm like the old boss of Columbia Pictures: if my ass squirms, the picture stinks. It's not like I think the whole world is wired to my ass, and I didn't squirm all that much, but I did find some of it unpleasant to little reward, and I felt I was enduring it rather than enjoying it. I'm shocked that 8 year olds can see it: I think it's entirely inappropriate: even if you don't see the mouth-cutting the implications are clear, and it's imitable violence.

It can't be the best movie ever: it was the fourth best movie I saw at the cinema last week!

But it may well be the best superhero movie, and the best summer blockbuster for some time.

I thought Bruce Wayne was pretty ace, I love his playboy act.

Yeah but Two-face isn't the Two-face in the comic, there is no split personality but more a man wronged and paying the price.

Aslo saw Batman Begins again, never enjoyed it the first time however, watching it again I realise how great the film is. Don't like the Gotham though much prefer the Dark Knight version, and Rachael meh....

3 parts had people cheering and clapping at the 2 screenings I went to:

- the disappearing pencil (although this was shot through with nervous laughter)

- the bat-bike 180/flip over.

- the truck flip.

Never felt an atmosphere like this before in the cinema. I’m going to go again before it finishes.

That 2 face isn't portrayed as a raving loony / schitz <sic?> is a testament to the directors / writers talent. He is completely and successfully woven into the storyline, i.e. the joker wanted to create chaos within ordinary people and was able to do so even with Dent. 2 face is nothing more than an unfortunate individual being used by the joker, therefore we feel empathy for him, and with his loss and battle to somehow put things right (even though he has lost the plot entirely).

If there is one single thing in this film that they got right, it is the 2 face storyline. Lesser films would have just played the nerves-destroyed/burnt card and just let him turn into a psycho, rather than a demented vigilante. You know, the sort of characters you couldnt give a fuck about.

Other films to achieve a similar feat i.e. feel sorry for the baddy...

- Se7en (already stated earlier)

- The usual suspects

- HEAT

Its a difficult trick to pull off. The films that manage are offten praised and quite rightly so.

Best Film I have seen in a long time.

I thought there was talk of Joker/Two Face being in the next one too, but it didn't look like it at the end - fan spec, or was this official?

The Joker seems possible (if Ledger wasn't dead) from his "we'll do this forever" line...two face?

I think Talia might work well in the next one - with flashbacks to Ra's.

I thought there was talk of Joker/Two Face being in the next one too, but it didn't look like it at the end - fan spec, or was this official?

The Joker seems possible (if Ledger wasn't dead) from his "we'll do this forever" line...two face?

I think Talia might work well in the next one - with flashbacks to Ra's.

It's never actually confirmed that he's dead - I'm pretty sure you see him breathing after his fall, and clearly the impression Batman & Gordon want to create is that he died a hero, regardless of the truth. Whether he's dead or in Arkham, I don't think those outside of the production can say for sure.

Speaking on another board - the film leaves a massive vacumn for the mob at the end.

Black Mask (who's, from what I remember, a bit like Batman gone wrong) could be interesting.

Or Hush...who could work with Mister Reese. :)

Saw it for a second time today and Dent/Face didn't flinch on the ground at all, nae breathing.

Someone said at the pub they had to reedit scenes they hadn't finished because of Ledger's death but I thought everything was done and dusted before that?

I need a plot point cleared up - when the Joker is in prison and gives Bats the locations of where Dent and Rachel are being held, does he swap the addresses so that Bats thinks he's going to rescue Rachel, but actually finds Dent, or does Bats change his mind and go to rescue Dent because he believes so strongly that Dent needs to survive for the good of Gotham? I thought it was the latter, but my friend said she thought the former.

See how they had all the shitty Batman imitators running around Gotham. I'd like to see them do something similar in the next film but with lots of people being half-arsed theme-crazies motivated by the Joker's actions in this movie. That way you could write in a lot of the less real world plausible Bat-Villains as cannon fodder or a smokescreen and beneath this distraction of ill-advised cos-players you have something or someone far more dangerous slowly moving itself into position. Like the Riddler.

OK it probably wouldn't work but part of me is still entertained by the idea of Bale Batman running into morons like King Tut, Clock King, Kite Man and Marsha Queen of Diamonds. And punching them really hard in the face.

He switches them.

Batman clearly says he's going for Rachel and then Gordon arranges to go for Dent...they arrive at different points and at no point are they shown swapping.

You're friend is right

Edit - That's a really good idea, So Angry.