Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Is there anything like Sim City 4, that's not mind numbingly frustrating to get working properly on a new graphics card, that's not Sim City 2013?

Cities XL, but that's mildly buggy apparently. Or Cities XXL, which is Cities XL apparently.

But this is coming out next month:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines?___store=gb

Which I suspect might be rather good. Fingers crossed.

Tropico is good, not really anything like Sim City but the same vague genre. Same applies to Anno. Both are a lot more fun than Sim City in my mind but they're not the same style of game

Cities XL is very Sim City-ish but is also not much good. The Paradox one mentioned sounds potentially good, though I didn't get on at all with the transport management game it is based upon.

But this is coming out next month:

https://www.paradoxplaza.com/cities-skylines?___store=gb

Which I suspect might be rather good. Fingers crossed.

Will tentatively look at Cities XXL. Skylines is bookmarked, thank you. (WTF is the Paradox store?!)

Tropico?

I've got Tropico 4, and I wasn't too sold on the comedy dictator, cartoony stuff. I want a miltary, strait-laced Excel spreadsheet!

Tropico is good, not really anything like Sim City but the same vague genre. Same applies to Anno. Both are a lot more fun than Sim City in my mind but they're not the same style of game

Cities XL is very Sim City-ish but is also not much good. The Paradox one mentioned sounds potentially good, though I didn't get on at all with the transport management game it is based upon.

I love Anno 2070, but it's a bit RPG-lite, with it's missions and Eco Council and...it's more Civ than Sim isn't it, really?

I know I'm being picky, but I just want Sim City 4 Deluxe in HD. That works properly, without any fuss, with shiny textures. Basically, what the poopy 2013 version should have been. *crai* It's been hard enough to get it working at all, never mind start with mods and the like. It just doesn't recognise my graphics card. I've been through all this nonsense half a dozen times: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=279736936&insideModal=1

Thanks.

Anno 1404 is Setters 2 evolved and therefore quite lovely and pleasant. What I've read of 2070 sounds a bit stark and scary so I daren't go there

There's a lot to be said for the older games made modern without much fucking about though, Anno 1404 really does a cracking job of an updated Settlers 2 without going overboard and that's the important bit, everything else seems to want to make too much of a leap and loses the fun on the way. I'd love a modern Transport Tycoon that just did the same sort of game but looking a bit nicer and slightly expanded and a bit more intelligent so you couldn't cheat so easily. That's it though, looking a bit nicer doesn't mean looking like a photorealistic modern city and contoured countryside because it gets too cluttered, expanded doesn't mean adding three million more types of transport and micromanaging all sorts of shit just a bit of a bigger map, and a bit more intelligent doesn't mean trying to implement real time physics so a train or bus can't take a turn one degree out of bounds, just a bit better pathfinding. Just the same but a little bit better, while keeping the actual entertainment.

Couldn't agree more.

Anno 2070 is quite a bit more refined than 1404 in gameplay terms and adds some interesting new elements but the generic sci-fi aesthetic is a lot less charming, and you don't have the nice 'building an awesome cathedral' aspect of the campaign.

Nuuvem are selling a bundle of Lego games for R$20 (~£4.70) featuring Lego The Hobbit, Lego Lord of The Rings, The Lego Movie - Videogame, Lego Batman, LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.

No VPN stuff required. The only caveat is that they have ran out of Steam keys for most of the games in the bundle, so you won't be able to play until they get some more, which might take a few days.

Nuuvem are selling a bundle of Lego games for R$20 (~£4.70) featuring Lego The Hobbit, Lego Lord of The Rings, The Lego Movie - Videogame, Lego Batman, LEGO Batman 2 DC Super Heroes, LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4 and LEGO Harry Potter: Years 5-7.No VPN stuff required. The only caveat is that they have ran out of Steam keys for most of the games in the bundle, so you won't be able to play until they get some more, which might take a few days.

Since these games are all 14.99 individually on steam that's a hell of a bargain worth it for the Lord of rings games alone!

Dat overclocking tho.

jbehN2qtSq3nGy.png

jDTSaFyQLbC7n.png

By the way If anyone could shed some light on the following I'd greatly appreciate it.

(from the PC building thread)

I was fiddling around with benchmarks and stuff when I noticed this:

ibaB9MDZP6TDrW.png

Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Might very well be the cause of those massive CS:GO fps drops I'm experiencing. Weirdly enough, it's only during CS:GO when my fps will go from 144+ to less than 50 or 30 some times. Then after I've played the game for 10 minutes everything seems fine. Every other game also seems pretty much okay. The MHO benchmark has had the same issues though, where the same scene will fluctuate massively in fps, regardless of overclocking or not.

Even going from Windows 7 to a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (UEFI!!11) has not seemed to fix this problem. I guess it could be hardware related? GPU, PSU or mobo perhaps?

Dat overclocking tho.

jbehN2qtSq3nGy.png

jDTSaFyQLbC7n.png

By the way If anyone could shed some light on the following I'd greatly appreciate it.

(from the PC building thread)

I was fiddling around with benchmarks and stuff when I noticed this:

ibaB9MDZP6TDrW.png

Can someone explain to me what is going on here? Might very well be the cause of those massive CS:GO fps drops I'm experiencing. Weirdly enough, it's only during CS:GO when my fps will go from 144+ to less than 50 or 30 some times. Then after I've played the game for 10 minutes everything seems fine. Every other game also seems pretty much okay. The MHO benchmark has had the same issues though, where the same scene will fluctuate massively in fps, regardless of overclocking or not.

Even going from Windows 7 to a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (UEFI!!11) has not seemed to fix this problem. I guess it could be hardware related? GPU, PSU or mobo perhaps?

Throttling maybe? have you checked your temps while in game? had this on my laptop when your CPU gets too hot it underclocks