Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I'm trying to log in to steam app on my phone but it's saying "as an added security measure you'll need to enter the most recent code generated by the steam app on your phone".

How the fuck am I supposed to generate a code if I can't log in?

Does anyone have a spare Rocket League key? I appreciate it's the new hotness, but I want to pay it and am annoyed I have to wait until pay day :/

I got it through G2A (which are not 'dodgy' as other might try to argue) for only €16 or something. Bought it from one of the market place sellers there though.

spent the day debugging games that I've had for ages and want to play, but couldn't get to work. Few hours of researching and tinkering later, and I've got Star Wars Battlefront, Jedi Academy and Outcast, Prison Architect, Uplink, GTA Episodes from Liberty City and XCOM Interceptor all to run! Thief 3 and Bully still won't though, probably to do with my onboard graphics.

Just found out there's a 25GB mod for Battlefront, makes it look more modern and adds a shit ton more maps. :)

I got it through G2A (which are not 'dodgy' as other might try to argue) for only €16 or something. Bought it from one of the market place sellers there though.

They are dodgy. That you've not been caught out by that yet is nice and all, but you're almost certainly not giving an even reasonable chunk of that money to the developer, you're giving to either a Russian wholesaler who paid a tiny amount and sold them almost as cheaply, or since you went to the marketplace more likely it's a review code or a scammed review code that someone is selling rather than using properly. Because those scams will take the developer time to work through it'd genuinely be better for the developer if you just pirated it.

If you want to be legal, it's not even a particularly cheap way to get it, you'd have saved money overall buying Steam credit from cdkeys when it was reduced and buying it on Steam and having another £35 to spend left.

If you want to be legal, it's not even a particularly cheap way to get it, you'd have saved money overall buying Steam credit from cdkeys when it was reduced and buying it on Steam and having another £35 to spend left.

I'm not sure that spending £50 (or £40, or whatever it was at cdkeys) for a £15 game is actually cheaper.

Also, you're being a bit of a hypocrite here. Where do you think cdkeys get the cheap keys from? They're doing exactly the same thing as G2A. I bought Wildstar from them and when I activated it the WIldstar website said it was a Spanish copy of the game. Doesn't make any difference to me in the end, but they're obviously getting cheap keys from other regions too.

I'm not sure that spending £50 (or £40, or whatever it was at cdkeys) for a £15 game is actually cheaper.

Also, you're being a bit of a hypocrite here. Where do you think cdkeys get the cheap keys from? They're doing exactly the same thing as G2A. I bought Wildstar from them and when I activated it the WIldstar website said it was a Spanish copy of the game. Doesn't make any difference to me in the end, but they're obviously getting cheap keys from other regions too.

There's literally no hypocrisy there - where someone gets money for their Steam wallet from doesn't affect how much the developer will get.

If Rocket League is the last game you are ever going to buy ever, yes, buying it individually is cheaper.

Well damn, for such a dodgy site Valve sure are happy to have them sponsor Valve related events. :(

The same Valve that censor mentions of G2A in groups due to their dodginess, yeah? Just because a Valve game is being played at an event doesn't mean they have any control over it. There are no official Valve events mentioned on the G2A corporate presentation and Valve are not listed as commercial partners. See:

https://www.g2a.co/en/presentation

G2A sell dodgy keys. Devolver say so:

https://twitter.com/devolverdigital/status/466577590606520320

Or Natural Selection 2:

http://unknownworlds.com/blog/beware-shady-key-resellers-and-discount-steam-keys/

Or the conclusions of this Polygon article:

http://www.polygon.com/2015/2/9/8006693/the-truth-behind-those-mysteriously-cheap-gray-market-game-codes

Or this Gamasutra article:

http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/LeszekLisowski/20141001/226840/How_to_get_every_game_on_STEAM_for_free.php

But they do sponsor some CS:GO teams, so yeah, that totally puts them in the clear. No questions.

There's literally no hypocrisy there - where someone gets money for their Steam wallet from doesn't affect how much the developer will get.

If Rocket League is the last game you are ever going to buy ever, yes, buying it individually is cheaper.

You say he should avoid G2A because most of the things they sell are dodgy but then recommend using cdkeys which is a very similar website. It doesn't have the marketplace but they absolutely sell keys from different regions. I also wonder how they can sell Steam wallet codes at such a discount. If it has a fixed value where's the profit for them? There obviously has to be some.

Steam wallet funds only work on purchases made in Steam and they are very rarely the cheapest now - even during sales. It doesn't have to be the last game he ever buys, but it might be the only game he would have bought from Steam. The vast majority are cheaper elsewhere (even from legit sites like GMG). Hell, I'd go as far as to say 99% of the time it's cheaper to buy it from another site now.

Edit: Just to be clear I'm not saying G2A aren't dodgy, just that I think cdkeys are close to being just as dodgy. I just don't think you can say you should avoid the former and then recommend the latter.

I might be being a big silly - how would there be £25 wallet codes from a different region?

Surely they'd be, say, a 2220 Ruble version...which if I could add to my wallet would be converted and say "You've added £25.08?

You say he should avoid G2A because most of the things they sell are dodgy but then recommend using cdkeys which is a very similar website. It doesn't have the marketplace but they absolutely sell keys from different regions. I also wonder how they can sell Steam wallet codes at such a discount. If it has a fixed value where's the profit for them? There obviously has to be some.

Steam wallet funds only work on purchases made in Steam and they are very rarely the cheapest now - even during sales. It doesn't have to be the last game he ever buys, but it might be the only game he would have bought from Steam. The vast majority are cheaper elsewhere (even from legit sites like GMG). Hell, I'd go as far as to say 99% of the time it's cheaper to buy it from another site now.

As far as I know there has never been a single key blocked from CDKeys. If that happens, I'll never buy from them again, until then I don't think there is much of a moral problem with it. The keys have been obtained legally (rather than them pretending to get review copies, or using a stolen credit card), in bulk.

Obviously Steam funds, the same as vouchers for Debenhams or Vodafone top up vouchers are sold to companies for less than their actual value. That's why Tesco sell them.

Obviously Steam funds, the same as vouchers for Debenhams or Vodafone top up vouchers are sold to companies for less than their actual value. That's why Tesco sell them.

Yes, but 18% does seem like an abnormally high saving. I have no idea how it could be dodgy and it probably isn't, but it's just so cheap that it makes me wonder.

They are dodgy. That you've not been caught out by that yet is nice and all, but you're almost certainly not giving an even reasonable chunk of that money to the developer, you're giving to either a Russian wholesaler who paid a tiny amount and sold them almost as cheaply, or since you went to the marketplace more likely it's a review code or a scammed review code that someone is selling rather than using properly. Because those scams will take the developer time to work through it'd genuinely be better for the developer if you just pirated it.

Cdkeys are doing exactly the same thing. If you want to take the moral high ground then fine but it seems a bit rich to ignore one of the reasons you gave for avoiding a different website, and then go "well, until they've been caught I don't mind" for the other reason.

Ages ago I bought Rayman Legends uplay code on G2A.com for a fiver - it said region free. It was region free in that it worked. But it is also entirely in chinese. :blush: That was the last time I purchased from them.

Well the only 'excuse' I have is that I'm a poor motherfucker that does like to buy games instead of pirating them, so naturally I buy them for the cheapest price available. If I can't buy them 'legit' then I'm sorry but that's a bridge to far for me, having to constantly check where keys came from and what not. If G2A, CDkeys, etc are truly as terrible as some say they are then I'm sure they'll be closing up shop soon.

cdkeys might be selling non UK sourced keys (ie region free but potentially not intended for sale in the UK) - whereas G2A/Kinguin have individuals selling keys from god knows where, could be from those who pretended to be reviewers/scams etc. Cdkeys might not be squeaky clean either, but I'd say they are the lesser of the two evils - at least the game is getting a sale from somewhere in the world.

I'm pretty sure CDkeys got caught up in the Sniper Elite III key revokes, but I vaguely recall people being suspicious about rebellion's claim they where stolen and not just cheap keys sold on.

My issue with G2A is the fact it's a marketplace and there's potential that the seller has obtained the keys through illegal means, I'm too risk averse to to tempt that fate. I do think people overstate the issue though, they state 17,000 transactions a day, I very much doubt most of those are bought with stolen cards or begged from devs. Saying that, my last two 60 day SWTOR timecards where from ebay which is the same thing, just ebay has had time to build up trust.

I've no problem with the grey market and those that buy keys from Eastern European distributors and the like.

The last full price game I actually bought on Steam was Mark of The Ninja, thought that may change with Shadowrun HK but Humble sorted me out with a cheaper copy. It's odd when you find GAME can provide a cheaper alternative to Steam.

Buying from G2A is worse than pirating because it costs you money, the developers get nothing, and you run the risk of your game getting revoked.

I'm sure they'll figure it out amongst themselves. Surely we can have nice things in 2015 and beyond? If digital is that damaging to the devs financially speaking, then we'll see big changes soon I suppose.

These middlemen are abusing an arbitrage opportunity, taking things priced at a bearable level for poorer countries and then selling them at a profit to people from richer countries, the developers being the ones who pay the price for it all. The simple fix is of course to region-lock all digital keys, problem solved via technology, fallout being pissed off consumers from rich countries who no longer have access to these artificially cheap games.

These middlemen are abusing an arbitrage opportunity, taking things priced at a bearable level for poorer countries and then selling them at a profit to people from richer countries, the developers being the ones who pay the price for it all. The simple fix is of course to region-lock all digital keys, problem solved via technology, fallout being pissed off consumers from rich countries who no longer have access to these artificially cheap games.

That wouldn't fix people reselling keys obtained using stolen credit cards or scammed from developers, which is the main problem with G2A's marketplace.

No, but it would be a draconian approach to fixing the growing grey market abuse of the availability of universal keys only meant for sale in poor countries being resold to people who could afford to pay more, but if given the chance, will choose not to, which is completely normal human behaviour. It's like the interesting VPN tricks to access poorer countries official digital stores and buying cheaper games on consoles or PC, just that is a more getting your hands dirty approach to arbitrage.

G2A is more just plain criminality, something not even technology can fix, only the law and enforcement of it can do that.

To be logically consistent, I assume you also believe that all console manufacturers should region lock their consoles -- because why should physical and digital products differ? -- and that Steam should also ban developers from outsourcing development or modelling work to low-income countries to take advantage of low wages.

Otherwise, I have to ask: why is it "abuse" when consumers take advantage of free markets and globalism, especially with digital products?

I know I've made this argument before and I'm like a broken record on the issue but it's something that really bothers me.

The consumer in this case isn't getting there hands dirty directly buying these cheaper goods are they? except for when you pretend to be Brazilian/Russian or whatever via a VPN to access an official digital store and buy their locally priced version. The middlemen are abusing the pricing difference and their ability to obtain the goods cheaper and sell them on at a profit to themselves, the consumers buying it are just thinking they are saving themselves money as everything is sold to them in their local currency, like CDkeys do.

If the sellers were loss leading with these prices, they wouldn't be able to sustain it for very long.

If food and other physical goods like Class A drugs were available at the prices you can obtain them for at countries closer to the production source, how come nobody is buying them at those prices, instead of the jacked up prices you have to pay at the point of consumption in the rich Western nations? Physical games/hardware could be imported to the West from poorer countries, but the profit margins are clearly not great enough for any middleman to bother doing that.

I always fancied one of those knock-off AK-47s from Pakistan, but even it it were legal to obtain, pretty sure nobody would be selling them for the price you can get one for in Pakistan.