IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

The reception to Massive Chalice was that it was all a bit simple and lacking depth, wasn't it?

Yeah, neither the tactical or strategy layer has quite enough depth, really, and as a result I found it a little too repetitive. A lot of folk didn't like the lack of connection to your characters. I can see why this was actually deliberate, but it's still a pity I think.

Tom Chick really liked it, read his review here: http://www.quartertothree.com/fp/2015/06/11/the-best-thing-about-massive-chalice-might-be-the-thing-you-hate-about-massive-chalice/

I wasn't so keen despite wanting to love it, but it's not bad at all.

Six games released in 2015 sold over 1M copies on Steam:

GTA V,

ARK: Survival Evolved,

H1Z1,

Cities: Skylines,

Rocket League,

Besiege.

Six more games sold over 500K:

Dying Light,

The Witcher 3,

Stranded Deep,

Killing Floor 2,

Total War: Attila,

Pillars of Eternity.

(via SteamSpy on Twitter)

I'm fascinated by Steamspy's stats, but they've definitely made me more than a little nervous about how sustainable the PC gaming market is - and indeed the games industry as a whole. A minority of games do really really well, and there's lots of games that do extremely badly. It's shocking to see something like D4 only sell 20k copies.

I'm a PC gamer first and foremost so I enjoy it a lot, particularly as they support Linux a lot and it's my OS of choice.

Been playing a lot of CS:GO and it works so brilliantly on Linux Mint.

I have 202 games so far although I have to admit that many were pretty cheap! :)

First thought was an extremely belated - and numerically incorrect - sequel to D2, which would have been a stretch. Especially as Kenji Eno's dead.

There are too many releases piling out to keep up, which I guess feeds into Halo's point about market sustainability.

To take a more positive view on it in August about 60m games where added to steam accounts at an average price of $10.77 and the top 15 games account for less than 10% of those.

I think one change now is with so many games on Steam it's no longer a case of being on Steam is any sort of guaranteed success, you need to fight to be noticed.

It's also worth noting that for The Witcher, GOG was the primary distribution point. If you wanted it on Steam then you absolutely had to buy the game through the storefront. All the retail, reseller and bundled keys were codes for GOG.

The same goes for GTA V, which is a million+ sales through Steam alone despite every other venue only being able to sell it as a Rockstar Social Club code.

I'm fascinated by Steamspy's stats, but they've definitely made me more than a little nervous about how sustainable the PC gaming market is - and indeed the games industry as a whole. A minority of games do really really well, and there's lots of games that do extremely badly. It's shocking to see something like D4 only sell 20k copies.

The PC market really has very little to do with D4's lack of success though, before it hit Games with Gold earlier in the year it was struggling past 10k on the Xbox One. It's also never really been heavily discounted, and for a game as esoteric as D4 that could be stifling uptake.

If development budgets continue to spiral out of control then yes, the industry is in trouble, at least for the AAA publishers. Far from being unsustainable, the PC market is showing how small-team, low-budget games can flourish outside of the traditional system, just look at that chart- both Rocket League and Besiege have sold over a million copies. Even if they hadn't, it's possible the developers would be able to sustain themselves with smaller numbers.

I'd be more concerned with how concentrated it turns out the ownership stats are, the active buyer base is significantly smaller than the global stats would suggest, and according to the man himself, anybody putting out a typical game on the service is battling to attract the attention of the 1% of the accounts which actively buy lots of games. To qualify to be in the top 20% of accounts, you only need to own 4 games, you could have done that just on the freebies people have given away in the last few years alone.