IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

9 minutes ago, Theholyhogg said:

Jesus I thought the English one was bad lol 

There's a working Ps2 emulator???? 

5 minutes ago, Gizamaluke said:

PCSX2 - it's amazing.

Yes indeed, and FFXII looks fantastic on it. Better than most remasters do in fact. Even better is that there's a version of FFXII Zodiac System (the Japanese rerelease with among other things a new job system) out there on the high seas that has been fan-patched to English 

Really wow I've never thought they never really made a fully working emulator for the Ps2 omg I'm so excited I might give 12 a go tonight then I remember the graphics blowing me away on the Ps2 so should look even nicer on pc 

Thanks guys 

The Wii / GameCube emulator (Dolphin) is even better! Mario Galaxy in HD with AA and using 360 controller with the spinjump mapped to a normal button is fantastic. Joyous. Incredible. 

Edit: oh and google RetroArch and prepare to be blown away! RetroArch +PCSX2 +Dolphin = gaming nirwana

2 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

The Wii / GameCube emulator (Dolphin) is even better! Mario Galaxy in HD with AA and using 360 controller with the spinjump mapped to a normal button is fantastic. Joyous. Incredible. 

how easy is it to set up? do you have a link to a guide by any chance mate?

11 hours ago, Gizamaluke said:

The only issue with Dolphin is that you can't rip your own games and it's increasingly hard to find some stuff on the seven seas. With PCSX2 you can turn all your PS2 games to ISO's and run them in HD.

To be fair, neither of those are issues with the emulators but the system's original disc protection.

The point being, it's not something they or another emulator could change.

Got the Ps2 emulator and I was blown away playing the first half hour of final fantasy 12 messed around with the settings and it's like a HD version very impressed with the emulator, even jade cocoon 2 looks amazing, I still don't get how it can make the same game look amazing, baffles me 

23 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Edit: oh and google RetroArch and prepare to be blown away! RetroArch +PCSX2 +Dolphin = gaming nirwana

Dolphin seems to detect my actual wii remote through bluetooth, so I just use that.  My sensor bar has a usb that can be connected to the PC or wii, so that works fine as well.  But even if your sensor bar can't.. if your wii or wii u is nearby your PC monitor, just put the sensor bar on top of your pc and turn on your wii or wii u when using the emulator and it should power the sensor.

Seems to work great.. problem being, I have to play at a distance in certain games.  But it's amazing when I stream the emulation to my TV downstairs.  Weirdly enough, the sensor bar is just used to detect motion and sends the info back to the controller, so you can actually plug the sensor bar into anything that powers it and it'll work.

With DX12 on dolphin it seems Xenoblade Chronicles runs without a hitch for me at 1080p.  And the classic controller attachment to the wii remote works great as well.

That game looks amazing in full HD.

1 hour ago, BruceBruce said:

Dolphin seems to detect my actual wii remote through bluetooth, so I just use that.  My sensor bar has a usb that can be connected to the PC or wii, so that works fine as well.  But even if your sensor bar can't.. if your wii or wii u is nearby your PC monitor, just put the sensor bar on top of your pc and turn on your wii or wii u when using the emulator and it should power the sensor.

Seems to work great.. problem being, I have to play at a distance in certain games.  But it's amazing when I stream the emulation to my TV downstairs.  Weirdly enough, the sensor bar is just used to detect motion and sends the info back to the controller, so you can actually plug the sensor bar into anything that powers it and it'll work.

With DX12 on dolphin it seems Xenoblade Chronicles runs without a hitch for me at 1080p.  And the classic controller attachment to the wii remote works great as well.

That game looks amazing in full HD.

Yes, it's amazing that the real controllers are supported that well, but being able to use a 360 controller instead is a major plus for me! Of course people like our very own loveable scottcr would surely scoff at the idea of using anything but true Nintendo controllers(tm), but Mario Galaxy plays so much better without the waggle nonsense. IMO and all that, but it's truly glorious.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

Yes, it's amazing that the real controllers are supported that well, but being able to use a 360 controller instead is a major plus for me! Of course people like our very own loveable scottcr would surely scoff at the idea of using anything but true Nintendo controllers(tm), but Mario Galaxy plays so much better without the waggle nonsense. IMO and all that, but it's truly glorious.

How do you shoot the starbits to stun enemies?

17 minutes ago, BruceBruce said:

How do you shoot the starbits to stun enemies?

Fantastic emulator that it is, Dolphin allows you to do almost anything you can think of when setting up control schemes. In Mario Galaxy I have it set up so that the wiimote cursor is hidden by default, but it appears when I hold in LT. Then I can control the cursor with the right stick and fire starbits with RT or grab stuff with RB (but RB only acts as a secondary A button while LT is held - if not, RB is butt stomp). Most of the time you don't need the cursor anyway (I spin with Y and mostly collect starbits by walking over them) so it works really well. For me anyway. In Dolphin you can also assign specific controller profiles to individual games, so when you launch a game it launches automatically with the correct set-up. I have different profiles for all the different waggle games, from Galaxy to New Super Mario Bros. (for example you can map tilting platforms to LT and RT - and it's actually proper analogue, the platforms tilt to either side according to how far your press the triggers!). Again, a lot of people will disagree but playing games like Mario Galaxy without the waggle makes them so much better imo.

13 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

...Seems to work great.. problem being, I have to play at a distance in certain games.  But it's amazing when I stream the emulation to my TV downstairs.  Weirdly enough, the sensor bar is just used to detect motion and sends the info back to the controller, so you can actually plug the sensor bar into anything that powers it and it'll work....

If it's just a standard Wii Sensor bar you're talking about, then there isn't really much "sensor" about it. It just contains two infrared LEDs (one at each end), that give off two well-defined spots of infrared light - and the cable you connect it with is purely for power. A Wii-mote has an infrared camera in the front that picks up these two spots, and uses their position and the distance and angle between them to calculate where you're pointing. All the actual sensing and processing happens in the Wii-mote.

That also means that you can actually use pretty much anything else that gives off infrared light as a (sort-of) well-defined point shape instead of the sensor bar. I've even done it with two small candles for cases where placing the sensor bar was too much hassle - works just fine!

8 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Mapping Wiimote pointer to a slow controller stick seems a bit odd when you've got a far more similar control method in the mouse right there.

I play Dolphin on my telly and even if I were to sit at a desk, I don't like to let go of one controller to grab another mid-game. Besides, do you realise what we're talking about here? Mario Galaxy!  It's not an FPS, it's a platformer. The few times that you need to select a planet or feed one of those fat star things, there's really no need for speed. And even then, if it were akin to a FPS, the pointer is plenty responsive and accurate with the right stick - you can even say it feels like playing a console game!

It works perfect for me, but I can imagine others would prefer to use a real wiimote. Don't quite get why you would prefer a mouse though :lol:

anybody else having steam connection issues? was just playing dark souls, it kicked me back to title screen, and cant connect. exited game and finding steam cant connect to the network... :/

3 minutes ago, 5R7 said:

anybody else having steam connection issues? was just playing dark souls, it kicked me back to title screen, and cant connect. exited game and finding steam cant connect to the network... :/

It's Tuesday. They go down for maintenance this time every week.

In the unlikely event they actually had more than 5 to give away, did anyone manage to get one of the greenmangaming 6p mystery bundles? After spending an hour or so on and off unsuccessfully trying to get the website not to break between meetings they're now out of stock, so I was interested what was actually in it. 

I couldn't get it to work either! Like you, I'm in the office so was trying to do it on my phone. I eventually got all the way to checkout and pressed 'pay' only to be greeted with an error message: "The contents of your basket have expired. Add them again to continue."

I tried once but the add button was non-functional. Gave up after that.

I doubt we've missed out on much, the small print said that the 6p item would normally sell for £0.99. So it's not like we could have had Doom for 6p or anything.