IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

24 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Does it have a decent learning curve, or is it an instant brick wall?

It probably depends a lot on whether you've ever done any real life programming. And there's no in-game explanation of how the programming language works. You do get a 40-odd page PDF manual that includes details of the 'hardware' you'll be working with and what program instructions you have available.

This is a screengrab of the simplest example in the manual:

screenshot.png

If that kind of thing doesn't mean anything to you, I think you'd be very much on the 'instant brick wall' end of the learning curve spectrum.

As someone who did a CS degree 15 years ago and then hasn't really used any low level programming knowledge since then, I've found it ok - not much harder than something like Spacechem, I reckon, though I get the feeling I'm still in the 'tutorial' phase up to now.

20 hours ago, frumious said:

Found some spare keys!  Please post to let everyone know if you take one.

Door Kickers - gone to 5R7

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - VXIZH-3BQK5-??G8X (?? = MySQL, Mongo, SQL Server, etc)

Reus - 7PZ??-JXF0I-9I07R (?? = half of a famous 4-legged stompy vehicle, vulnerable to getting tangled by tow cables)

I took Reus just now, thank you! 

10 hours ago, MrCarrot said:

It probably depends a lot on whether you've ever done any real life programming. And there's no in-game explanation of how the programming language works. You do get a 40-odd page PDF manual that includes details of the 'hardware' you'll be working with and what program instructions you have available.

This is a screengrab of the simplest example in the manual:

screenshot.png

If that kind of thing doesn't mean anything to you, I think you'd be very much on the 'instant brick wall' end of the learning curve spectrum.

As someone who did a CS degree 15 years ago and then hasn't really used any low level programming knowledge since then, I've found it ok - not much harder than something like Spacechem, I reckon, though I get the feeling I'm still in the 'tutorial' phase up to now.

Well thats all well and good but can i host in within Cubase?

23 hours ago, wavey said:

I'm guessing this game might be for you then. The very first page of the manual has recommendations on the actual binder and dividers to use:

Gutted I missed out on the special edition now, which comes with its own special binder.

Anyone tried The Silver Case theres a thread on NeoGaf about it?  It was originally released for the PS1 in 1999. It was Suda51's first game with his new studio, Grasshopper Manufacturer, formed after he left Human Entertainment.  Its not just on Steam but also available GOG, Humble, etc.  Its a visual novel type game.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/476650/

41 minutes ago, Blu3Flame said:

Gutted I missed out on the special edition now, which comes with its own special binder.

Really enjoying this so far (and I'm slightly ashamed to say I did go out to buy a folder & dividers specially for it). The same kind of structure as TIS-100 / Infinifactory etc - solve a problem, get shown how many people have solved it better than you, become outraged that you're not the top of your friends list, spend five times the length of time you originally spent then optimizing the crap out of the solution, repeat until the difficulty defeats you.

But I do keep getting distracted by the Solitaire game easter egg - I'm no expert on these, but it seems to be like Freecell but with 3 suits, and "dragons" which make it infuriating. I don't know if it's a standard Solitaire game type or one invented for this game, but it's very addictive and seems tonally a good fit with the rest of the game - overcoming struggles with constrained resources etc.

On 7 October 2016 at 14:04, Blu3Flame said:

Does it have a decent learning curve, or is it an instant brick wall?

I sort of hit a brick wall straight away, but after printing the manual out and working through some of the examples by hand, it slowly fell into place a bit. The lightbulb moment was realising how the conditional execution (plus and minus prefixes) works. Still finding it very difficult – certainly harder than TIS-100 so far. Enjoyable, though.

The Solitaire game is a cool extra.

Also wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the in-game fiction - I've tended to basically ignore the stories in their previous games. The writing is spot-on, and the tone of the emails is eerily similar to some I get at work in real life - the enthusiastic sales/marketing guy, the slightly off-hand / deflating boss. Some of it quite funny as well, I enjoyed the idea of the "rogue loops" etc.

If anyone's playing feel free to add me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/some0274/) on the understanding that you'll be causing me very real distress when you inevitably beat my scores.

21 hours ago, wavey said:

Also wanted to say how much I'm enjoying the in-game fiction - I've tended to basically ignore the stories in their previous games. The writing is spot-on, and the tone of the emails is eerily similar to some I get at work in real life - the enthusiastic sales/marketing guy, the slightly off-hand / deflating boss. Some of it quite funny as well, I enjoyed the idea of the "rogue loops" etc.

If anyone's playing feel free to add me (http://steamcommunity.com/id/some0274/) on the understanding that you'll be causing me very real distress when you inevitably beat my scores.

Why do you have 2000 games? :mellow:

1 hour ago, wavey said:

Sorry! I don't know if it's the case here, but as you go through the game you unlock more parts and capabilities, and you can re-do previous problems with them. (Not a fan of this design choice really). I think I've only shaved fractions off doing this so far though. 

Bundles, Steam sales, and endlessly trying to fill the aching void within. :(

Thats technological progress though. I mean you can still buy a million devices made in past which are now smaller or more efficient.

So its pretty natural really.

35 minutes ago, Dimahoo said:

Thats technological progress though. I mean you can still buy a million devices made in past which are now smaller or more efficient.

So its pretty natural really.

Yeah it makes sense narratively, no problem there. But gameplay-wise, when you first solve a design and see how many people are to the left of you on the graphs, you don't know whether those people have been working within the same constraints as you, or have used something unlocked later in the game. So you don't know whether it's even possible for you to get those scores at this point.

I guess this might only be a problem in the early stages, I don't know when you get to the stage where everything is unlocked.

Anyone managed to get the £1 credit from Green Man Gaming, for buying the £1 Golden Joystick pack? It says to buy the pack (done) register them on Steam (done) and play Spec Ops (done) - but I don't have the credit. Am I supposed to do something else?

We've been playing the They Hunger campaign by PC Gamer/Black Widow Games in Sven co-op and it's so good. Some genuine laugh out moments throughout. :D

Spoiler

Q2GRYSd.jpg

txewzsM.jpg

6NbaWE4.jpg

FXCjxxJ.jpg

FLLB3mA.jpg

ZbRaQ5j.jpg

jowMC4P.jpg

^Just casually walking down the train tracks when all of a sudden a Zombie Train™ comes barrelling towards us with Sie only barely able to out run it, only for him to meet his untimely demise by an oncoming train from the other side. *splat!* :lol:

I just came to say that October's free game is out, grabbed it the other day: 

https://club.ubisoft.com/en-US/ubi30

Still have it practically unplayed on 360 (having never finished it on Gamecube), how's the PC port?

edit: Hmm, the consensus seems to be "a bit shit". And I remember I didn't play much of it on 360 because the camera controls were odd and couldn't be changed.

Beyond Good & Evil runs great on Dolphin and you can customise the controls however you want within the emulator itself. Works flawlessly with either the 360 or XB1 controller. Looks gorgeous too in HD with MSAA - I coincidentally started it up for a bit a few weeks back :)