IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

10 minutes ago, stefcha said:

I'd be up for a game at some point, only ever played it with randoms (and not for quite some time) and generally didn't have much of a clue.

Same. It's one of those games that favours those who play all day every day for ages. I did get in on the ground floor with KF2, but haven't gone back to it in months and know I'd be waaay behind all the other players.

15 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Has anyone got, and had much luck with a Steam Link? With the sales coming up I'm thinking of getting one but probably need to sort out a homeplug solution for my home network first. 

Aren't Steam Links pretty shitty on Home plug networks due to the latency? I found Steam home streaming pretty terrible on one before I want to Cat 6. Not sure if it is still the case.

Spent a few hours with Punch Club after reading all the recommendations on here. Not sure if I'm missing something but progress is excruciatingly slow and dull largely down to the available jobs paying so little, and the stat decay getting larger as you level up. 

I get that's part of the challenge (and the Super Easy mode that removes stat decay trivialises the game) but after about 2.5 hours I felt like I'd barely got anywhere - won a couple of fights, learned a couple of moves, bought a punchbag for the garage and was still enormously outclassed without enough time to really improve.

Does it turn a corner at any point? I like the concept but not excited about having to spend tens of hours micro managing pizza intake.

There's a couple of things you can do to help, but it is rather grindy. Silver's gym is the best place to train, because there are so many machines, you can switch to a different one when you start to get diminishing returns from using one machine too much. You also get a boost if you train with a buddy, so once you've met roy take him with you. To get roy to come with you you need to fix his car, which you do by whacking the engine with a hammer. Just click on it at roy's house, and after a few hits he'll ask you to sit and chill with him, or something like that. Chill with roy for a short time, and then you'll be able to take him to the gym. You can also spar with Roy and Silver to get some more skill unlock tokens. You want to spend as much time as possible in the gym, so have full stats and some spare cash before you go in there. If you get too tired you can grab stuff from the vending machine to get a bit more training done.

That should make life a little bit easier.

3 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

Aren't Steam Links pretty shitty on Home plug networks due to the latency? I found Steam home streaming pretty terrible on one before I want to Cat 6. Not sure if it is still the case.

I'm not sure, I wasn't aware of Homeplugs having a relatively high latency but then it's not something I've really thought about. I currently use 500Mbps homeplugs for my PC and router.

Thanks for bringing up Cat 6, though. I've realised that I've got enough space along the floorboards to run a flat cable between my router and TV set up. I don't think I'll be doing it for the PC, as that's three doorways away, but will set up the cat 6 with my PS4 and try remote play to the PC to see what sort of latency I get. If that's livable, I'll be keeping an eye out for a Steam Link in the sale.

Anyone looking for a Falcom fix should check out Xanadu Next, it's a damn fine ARPG. it's been taking my attention away from Dishonoured 2.

Planet explorers is also now out of early access, worth a look if your into survival games as it's story driven rather than open ended.

10 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I'm not sure, I wasn't aware of Homeplugs having a relatively high latency but then it's not something I've really thought about. I currently use 500Mbps homeplugs for my PC and router.

Thanks for bringing up Cat 6, though. I've realised that I've got enough space along the floorboards to run a flat cable between my router and TV set up. I don't think I'll be doing it for the PC, as that's three doorways away, but will set up the cat 6 with my PS4 and try remote play to the PC to see what sort of latency I get. If that's livable, I'll be keeping an eye out for a Steam Link in the sale.

Homeplugs can introduce about as much latency as wifi depending on the quality of the wiring in your home. Generally though homeplugs are lower latency and more consistent then wifi which can suffer bouts of extreme latency - disastrous for gaming.

I've used a Steam Link over ethernet for nearly a year now and have found it to be generally excellent. It seems to be less laggy than either Xbox or PS4 streaming, has the best picture quality and works well with either Xbox or PS4 controllers. 

I don't use a Steam Link, but I use Steam Home Streaming over ethernet regularly. It varies a bit depending on the game, but usually the results are pretty incredible. Lag isn't an noticeable issue at all, although I'd hesitate before trying something like Thumper. Visual quality is usually excellent too, to the point where you'd have to be actively looking for artifacts to notice them. Some games fare better than others mind.

There are occasional issues though. A few older games seem to require Steam to be run with admin rights on the host PC in order to accept remote input, and for some reason I can't get the Mega Drive Classics collection to accept controller input at all. You have to jump through a few hoops to stream Origin games too

So it's not quite as good as having a gaming PC in the lounge, but it's a pretty fantastic compromise.

10 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Has anyone got, and had much luck with a Steam Link? With the sales coming up I'm thinking of getting one but probably need to sort out a homeplug solution for my home network first. 

I use homeplugs with the Steam link and it seems to give no trouble there.

The Steam Link itself is 90% perfect.  The Lego games are a bit weird on startup and I have to teamviewer into the PC to force it to be displaying the right window and the new MotoGP game has a pre-game settings window on every launch and that never displays so you can't play that game without again remoting into the PC.

Everything else I've felt the need to try has worked very well, enough that Mrs Dudley and I have played through several LEGO games together entirely using it.

10 hours ago, strawdonkey said:

Spent a few hours with Punch Club after reading all the recommendations on here. Not sure if I'm missing something but progress is excruciatingly slow and dull largely down to the available jobs paying so little, and the stat decay getting larger as you level up. 

I get that's part of the challenge (and the Super Easy mode that removes stat decay trivialises the game) but after about 2.5 hours I felt like I'd barely got anywhere - won a couple of fights, learned a couple of moves, bought a punchbag for the garage and was still enormously outclassed without enough time to really improve.

Does it turn a corner at any point? I like the concept but not excited about having to spend tens of hours micro managing pizza intake.

I found it to be the same, managed a few hours but once I switched it off never really felt like going back to it. I might put it back on my pile of 'to finish' games :(

14 hours ago, Marzipan Travolta said:

I've found it relatively poor, but I think it just depends on the quality of your circuit and the homeplugs you buy. I got some 500MB/s ones which should be more than enough bandwidth even if they performed to a tenth of that, but no luck. Horrible frame drops when there's a lot of things moving on screen (e.g. driving fast in GTA V) and the occasional complete freeze up, which only resolved itself if you pause and wait. Currently trying to get moonlight working with a raspberry pi, wondering if that'll be any better.

On 10/11/2016 at 15:04, Vimster said:

Same. It's one of those games that favours those who play all day every day for ages. I did get in on the ground floor with KF2, but haven't gone back to it in months and know I'd be waaay behind all the other players.

Me and 7 or 8 other guys from here play KF2 every now and then. We're hardly experts but we do ok. It's more for a bit of a laugh. You're more than welcome to join if you like.

23 hours ago, Mogster said:

There are occasional issues though. A few older games seem to require Steam to be run with admin rights on the host PC in order to accept remote input, and for some reason I can't get the Mega Drive Classics collection to accept controller input at all. You have to jump through a few hoops to stream Origin games too

For your controller issues, try x360ce. You need to run the executable as admin from your Steam install folder on the client machine and set up your controller in there, and you also need to go into the "game settings" option tab and select the checkbox for xinput1_4.dll to match the version you're running so that gets created in that folder as well (1.3 gets offered to be created by default when you run it). Save and quit. Once that's done, restart Steam and stream your game and it should make use of x360ce which then pulls your controller in. 

Works for anything I've tried even the shittily supported stuff like Pac Man CE DX+ and Castle of Illusion. I've picked up a Hori PS3/PS4 Mini Arcade Stick and it just wouldn't have it 'til I did this the other day (doesn't help that the stick is picked up as a POV hat and even remapping using JoyToKey some games still ignore the stick input entirely). Shame it's a bit more finicky if I want to use it to play games on the host PC, I need to set it up on a game by game basis there. Worse, I don't think I'll be able to do this at all with the Steam Link :( 

12 hours ago, Brother Tendo said:

KtrnHIK.gif

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition 

Thanks for the codes, I grabbed Civ IV.

10 hours ago, BruceBruce said:

Demmit, someone snagged Dark Souls.  Thanks anyway. +1

I arrived here 1 minute after the codes were posted and Dark Souls was already redeemed.

Sometimes I'm inclined to believe the codes were already used duplicates when people post them openly in the thread. I'm not talking about Brother Tendo, but certain people in the past have definitely just posted duplicates to get some extra reps.

You're better off asking people to PM you for the codes.