IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

There are a lot of titles I would like, currently Deus EX Mankind Divided and Azbu in my cart.   Thinking about Oxenfree, Edith Finch, Scanner Sombre and Little Nightmares.   That One Night Stand looks strangely interesting for some reason.

4 hours ago, NEG said:

Dunno why you guys can't find anything worthy on Steam, my basket is at 16 items currently (adding up to £28) and I've still to add the usual yearly visit to discounted Pinball FX2 tables. :)

4 hours ago, Vimster said:

Oh man Pinball FX2, I tend to buy the tables when they're heavily discounted, play them a couple of times then that's it. It's basically a pile of shame inside my pile of shame. Xibit.jpg

3 hours ago, stefcha said:

I'm actually a bit scared of launching FX2 now as I'll be overwhelmed and unless they've changed the interface the icons for all the tables will be minuscule there's that many to fit in. And I've just added two more with the South Park pack :facepalm: 

edit: I don't think I've played any of the last 15 tables I've bought in the last few years. Facepalm indeed.

3 hours ago, Vimster said:

At least I'm not alone. Phew.

Can you all please:

• Add me on Steam (beenabadbunny like on here)
  • Play some Pinball FX2?

I don't have enough friends to compete for high scores with.

The problem with Pinball FX2 for me is it's too realistic. Used to love the old "Dreams" pinball games on the Amiga, and I thought Pinball FX2 would scratch that itch, but I can't see what's happening half the time, don't know where to put the matrix display.

I'll still buy the tables though, won't I?

3 minutes ago, Vimster said:

The problem with Pinball FX2 for me is it's too realistic. Used to love the old "Dreams" pinball games on the Amiga, and I thought Pinball FX2 would scratch that itch, but I can't see what's happening half the time, don't know where to put the matrix display.

I'll still buy the tables though, won't I?

FX2 isn't that realistic compared to the more 'simmy' ones like Pinball Arcade. Obviously there's all the fancy ball trails and stuff (although I've long since turned that stuff off) but there's also a fair bit of hype applied to the physics.

I can't find it now but I remember reading an interview with the Zen people from back in the day. Essentially they said that they made it pure sim at first but it wasn't that much fun, so they amped things up a bit. So it's technically 'wrong' but with the goal of making it feel more 'right'. I imagine there's a very narrow tightrope to walk.

As far as views go, if you're playing in widescreen the only usable one is 4, with the DMD in the default place.

Portrait mode 2 (whole table static on screen) is where it's at, but I totally appreciate that I'm in a minority with a dedicated pinball computer.

1 minute ago, beenabadbunny said:

Portrait mode 2 (whole table static on screen) is where it's at, but I totally appreciate that I'm in a minority with a dedicated pinball computer.

We're already Steam friends :quote:  I meant to ask when you posted it, but how does your second screen setup work? Is that built into the game as a possibility? 

12 minutes ago, stefcha said:

We're already Steam friends :quote:  I meant to ask when you posted it, but how does your second screen setup work? Is that built into the game as a possibility? 

Oops, how rude :blush: They flattened the PC scoreboards completely a while back because of people exploiting a bug, so that is probably why my friend leaderboards feel so sparse.

It's built in, you just need to select Cabinet mode from the menu along the bottom. That brings you to a page of options that let you resize and reposition the DMD and/or backglass.

For backglass you will need to download a pack of images and put them in one of your FX2 content directories.

You can have three separate screens if you want, although I just have two so my virtual DMD just occludes part of the backglass.

The interface is really clunky. In short, you have to type in the number of pixels to offset the DMD by - so for example if your second screen is above your main one (as defined in your Windows display driver settings) then you would put in a negative number of pixels on the Y axis, to move the DMD up and off your main monitor and on to the second one. It takes a bit of trial and error but it does work.

I think at one stage you could only unlock Cabinet mode by emailing Zen Studios a picture of your actual pinball cabinet, but they seem to have relaxed that now. I certainly didn't have to do anything, the option was just there.

I've tried to make it a rule not to buy anything on Steam that I don't intend to play immediately, which with Breath Of The Wild, Fire Emblem Echoes and Titanfall 2 on the go means no Steam sale purchases this time round.

Or so I thought

There was one offer I couldn't resist.

It called to me like a flame in the night.

It broke me.

Spoiler

Space Moth DX for 39p

4 minutes ago, matt0 said:

I've tried to make it a rule not to buy anything on Steam that I don't intend to play immediately, which with Breath Of The Wild, Fire Emblem Echoes and Titanfall 2 on the go means no Steam sale purchases this time round.

Or so I thought

There was one offer I couldn't resist.

It called to me like a flame in the night.

It broke me.

Hide contents

Space Moth DX for 39p

Glad you spoilered that for length. What's that, £200 of games?

1 hour ago, beenabadbunny said:

They flattened the PC scoreboards completely a while back because of people exploiting a bug, so that is probably why my friend leaderboards feel so sparse.

57 tables I've got to set high scores on then. 57! I had no clue I owned that many. And I see they haven't changed the interface, so you need a magnifying glass to pick the table going by thumbnail alone.

Got an email saying that 188 of the items on my wishlist are on sale. :lol:

Purchases thus far:

Azure Striker Gunvolt

Mighty Gunvolt

Maldita Castilla EX

Demon's Crystals

Hollow Knight

Paper Sorcerer

Stranger of Sword City (This was the one I'd been waiting for a price drop on - everything else was an impulse buy.)

Haven't spent too much, but worried I might! I need to stop adding everything that looks remotely passable to my list. 

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

So many people saying "disappointing sale" and then listing about 5 games they've bought :lol:

That always happens. I thought I would check out the sale, not interested in any game at the moment, ended up buying Guardians of the Galaxy and Firewatch. :facepalm:

They are both amazing. :wub:

4 hours ago, Doctor Shark said:

So many people saying "disappointing sale" and then listing about 5 games they've bought :lol:

3, not 5. Not that difficult.

And in context of previous sales, where there have been plenty of big hitters and surprises, definitely disappointing.

Thought I might get myself a nice game that would be nice and be fairly short and not too difficult and give me less self loathing than everything I've been playing lately, but my wishlist seems filled mostly with nasty stuff. Soma and doom are at the top of my list but they don't seem exactly joyous. Fable anniversary is tempting though I probably played the original like ten times or something. Does anyone have any recommendations? For a nice sort of thing or something I can get two copies of fairly cheap to play with my partner?

7 hours ago, Clipper said:

Any decent VR in sale? (I already have superhot)

I had a scan through but it all looked a bit meh (I might get job simulator).

I've bought a couple: Pinball FX2 VR - I'll just say that I'm sure the Mars table is great for people who can cope with spiders constantly in their peripheral vision - and Thumper, a rhythm action game, which is excellent so far and looks really good in VR. (Both seated games, not room-scale)

Job Simulator is fun for a couple of hours, and a good demo to show new people to get used to the controllers etc. It's my kids' VR game of choice when they get the chance.