Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

1 hour ago, Dudley said:

The 970 is geriatric now? It's newer than say, the PS4.

It's been in my PC for nearly 5yrs.

...In PC terms, that practically qualifies it for a pension & retirement.

The fact that it has stayed relevant and still able to play most of the stuff I throw at it for all this time, says more about the appalling, stagnating state of the PC GPU market than it does about the 970.

and double the ram!

i've got an i7-4790k, 32gb Ram, and a 1070. Works great. although, the best upgrade i made last year, was a gsync 144hz 1440p screen!

I'm thinking of doing a rebuild this year of processor, motherboard and ram.

6 hours ago, iknowgungfu said:

Christ. I have

2500k i5 (think 1st gen)

Nvidia 560ti

8gb RAM

I can run nothing released in the last few years (not in a satisfactory way anyway?

Odd.  I have the same but with a 660 (not ti) and there's not been anything even now that I cant run in a satisfactory way that I can think of.

EDIT: Actually its a 670 so perhaps a small bump over yours?

1 hour ago, Gizamaluke said:

Same as above. My 4790k barely gets stressed so I see no need to upgrade still. The Resident Evil 2 demo barely pushes it past 40% use.

Same but stuck with zzzzzzzz 1600mhz ram (DDR3 lolz) but a 1080ti - always paranoid that the ram fucks up minimum frame rates but way too expensive to upgrade to have it viable. Might get a Ryzen 3 setup when Cyberpunk comes out

30 minutes ago, iknowgungfu said:

I keep toying with the idea of buying more RAM and new gpu. The last time I looked they were massively overpriced due to cryptocurrency. 

The last time you looked was a while ago then - a 970 shouldn't cost too much

1 hour ago, MotiVater said:

Odd.  I have the same but with a 660 (not ti) and there's not been anything even now that I cant run in a satisfactory way that I can think of.

EDIT: Actually its a 670 so perhaps a small bump over yours?

560ti has 1gb vram doesn't it? That will choke the card more than anything - modern gaming on such a small amount of video ram is hopeless

Yup. 560 is with 1GB ram. 

The trouble I have is when it comes to things like this I end up doing up fantasy build and before I know if I've hit more than 1k. 

Truth be told - I don't have as much time to play and there is that cost analysis to factor in. Still - I do have that our to tinker inside a PC case again. As already mentioned perhaps Cyberpunk is the game to push me over to a purchase... I've only been waiting for this since that random announcement years and years ago. 

Edit - just checked it was announceded in 2012!!

Edited by iknowgungfu

9 hours ago, Uzi said:

Same but stuck with zzzzzzzz 1600mhz ram (DDR3 lolz) but a 1080ti - always paranoid that the ram fucks up minimum frame rates but way too expensive to upgrade to have it viable. Might get a Ryzen 3 setup when Cyberpunk comes out

I think the benefits of faster ram in the vast majority of games is negligible. Quantity still seems better than speed in gaming. Source = I watched that Linus guy once.