Steam - There's a sale on

Has anybody bought much in the sale? I decided to take a punt on some indie titles that have been sat in my wishlist for a while and, because of the £5 off a £30 spend, ended up with 6 games for the price of 5, which I'm happy with. Just been playing a bit of Graveyard Keeper and it seems quite fun (though already I can see there will need to be some grinding down the line.) The interface and style reminds me a lot of Punch Club, actually (even down to how research is handled).

Edit: Ha, after writing that I had a look - and it's the same developer. That explains it then!

10 hours ago, strider said:

You've mistaken me for someone who reads small print. I've got that sorted. Am booting on Steam but now I can't take pictures with the steam screenshot key. 
What a faff. I'm already regretting buying that PC and it hasn't turned up yet :lol:

The joy of PC is you have competing online stores so there's price competition.

The problem with PCs is you have competing online stores....

17 minutes ago, Dudley said:

The joy of PC is you have competing online stores so there's price competition.

The problem with PCs is you have competing online stores....

I've managed to get it sorted now, just needed a reboot. It is a bit weird having games all over the place, but I'm surprised by how many shmups are now coming across to steam. I may have to sell my PS2 copy of Raiden 3 at this rate...

36 minutes ago, strider said:

I've managed to get it sorted now, just needed a reboot. It is a bit weird having games all over the place, but I'm surprised by how many shmups are now coming across to steam. I may have to sell my PS2 copy of Raiden 3 at this rate...

Try the GOG Galaxy 2.0 launcher?   It collates all the stores under one app.   I've had a quick play and it seems to work nicely.  Others who've had an extended play might be ab;e to say if it has shortcomings

10 hours ago, Gabe said:

Has anybody bought much in the sale?

I picked up:

Dishonoured 2 & Death of the Outsider
Outer Wilds
Metro Exodus
Titanfall 2

I figured it would be good to go through these on PC as opposed to PS4. TF2 I've already played on PS4 but want to play on PC, I still haven't played the original Dishonoured and got bored of Metro : Last Light so that's logic for you!

I should probably grab the Witcher 3 at this rate since I hated the combat in 2 :D

1 hour ago, Nobuo's Organ said:

I sacked off GOG Galaxy 2.0 as it consistently forgot my logins for most services, you had one job!

Don't they absolve themselves of the blame for that by not actually officially supporting any of the crosslinks, so if they don't work they can just go "not us"?

3 hours ago, strider said:

It is a bit weird having games all over the place

2 hours ago, rafaqat said:

Try the GOG Galaxy 2.0 launcher?   It collates all the stores under one app.   I've had a quick play and it seems to work nicely.  Others who've had an extended play might be ab;e to say if it has shortcomings

I was just going to suggest GOG galaxy 2.0 if you want everything in one place.  I also just pin all the launchers to the task bar so they are easily accessible.

This might need to go into ATF but it seems to be a Steam issue. I have a 3 monitor setup and recently my mouse cursor is escaping the game even when the game is in fullscreen only. It seems to be isolated to Steam as Epic launched games stick inside the main monitor.

I've googled it and come across some work arounds like Win+P (that seems to make Display Fusion shit itself) and I really didn't want to go for a third party application option. Has anyone else had this, heard of this or has any idea why it would start doing it recently?

21 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

This might need to go into ATF but it seems to be a Steam issue. I have a 3 monitor setup and recently my mouse cursor is escaping the game even when the game is in fullscreen only. It seems to be isolated to Steam as Epic launched games stick inside the main monitor.

I've googled it and come across some work arounds like Win+P (that seems to make Display Fusion shit itself) and I really didn't want to go for a third party application option. Has anyone else had this, heard of this or has any idea why it would start doing it recently?

If it's just with Steam games, I'd look at Steam itself first before considering the games. First thing that comes to mind is the steam overlay, go into settings and disable it. Then try a game, see if it's different.

26 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

If it's just with Steam games, I'd look at Steam itself first before considering the games. First thing that comes to mind is the steam overlay, go into settings and disable it. Then try a game, see if it's different.

Restarted Steam and it's not worked, I'll do a full reboot and see if it takes hold.

On 30/06/2020 at 20:42, deerokus said:

This will sound silly but it might be because it's yakuza. When I bought it for ps4 years ago it wouldn't go through because the site's payment processor (maybe it was PayPal) saw the word 'yakuza' and thought it was something illegal and blocked the transaction! 

That said it wouldn't accept my PayPal password last night and I know it's correct. I haven't used steam in ages so had to setup my bank card again instead. 

I hope you're not planning to buy the Mafia remake. Who knows where you'll end up.

21 hours ago, moosegrinder said:

I've reread your post and googled Display Fusion - this should have been my first suggestion: press shift control escape to launch task manager. Look for the Display Fusion executable and end it. Now launch a game and see if that made a difference.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

I've reread your post and googled Display Fusion - this should have been my first suggestion: press shift control escape to launch task manager. Look for the Display Fusion executable and end it. Now launch a game and see if that made a difference.

It allows different wallpapers on the monitors and other shit I don't care about. I thought I'd tried this and ending the exe didn't actually do anything but I'll try again right now.

11 hours ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

It still did nothing :(

52 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It allows different wallpapers on the monitors and other shit I don't care about. I thought I'd tried this and ending the exe didn't actually do anything but I'll try again right now.

You can do that in Windows 10 without a third party application. Just select the three wallpapers you want, right click on each of them "set as background". Then go into Windows settings, the bit where you can customize stuff like your wallpaper. There you'll see your most recent wallpapers in a row, right click on the ones you want - you'll see an option to set it to a specific monitor. Set to monitor 1, then right click on the next - set to monitor 2. It works and saves you running yet another program in the background.

49 minutes ago, moosegrinder said:

It still did nothing :(

Shit, sorry. Because Display Fusion handles monitor stuff that would be the first thing to try. If it's not that, but ut happens with every game and not just Steam, it has to be something in windows or that's running in the background. Sorry I can't be of more help...

What I would do to troubleshoot in your case, but I'm by no means one of the foremost experts here:

Go into Windows 10 settings:

-check the resolution settings for each monitor. Do you have a custom resolution set for any of them? Set them all to something standard, maybe even the same

- resolution scaling, is it set to something weird?

- taskbar is locked and its default position?

- multiple monitors: are they arranged probably and set to extend desktop?

- mouse settings: anything notable there that could be related to your problem?

Check the settings of your display driver, if any? Anything notable?

Any other stuff set to start with Windows like Display Fusion was?

I can imagine it's very frustrating, I hope someone can be of more help soon!

40 minutes ago, Mr. Gerbik said:

You can do that in Windows 10 without a third party application. Just select the three wallpapers you want, right click on each of them "set as background". Then go into Windows settings, the bit where you can customize stuff like your wallpaper. There you'll see your most recent wallpapers in a row, right click on the ones you want - you'll see an option to set it to a specific monitor. Set to monitor 1, then right click on the next - set to monitor 2. It works and saves you running yet another program in the background.

Shit, sorry. Because Display Fusion handles monitor stuff that would be the first thing to try. If it's not that, but ut happens with every game and not just Steam, it has to be something in windows or that's running in the background. Sorry I can't be of more help...

What I would do to troubleshoot in your case, but I'm by no means one of the foremost experts here:

Go into Windows 10 settings:

-check the resolution settings for each monitor. Do you have a custom resolution set for any of them? Set them all to something standard, maybe even the same

- resolution scaling, is it set to something weird?

- taskbar is locked and its default position?

- multiple monitors: are they arranged probably and set to extend desktop?

- mouse settings: anything notable there that could be related to your problem?

Check the settings of your display driver, if any? Anything notable?

Any other stuff set to start with Windows like Display Fusion was?

I can imagine it's very frustrating, I hope someone can be of more help soon!

It's ok man, thanks for your help. I used Display Fusion because for the longest time Windows didn't do this. I've also disabled a shit load of nonsense on start up, checked overlays on the Geforce Experience and that. 

Resolutions are standard, they've definitely not changed recently. One monitor is portrait but it's been that way for a very long time. I think it's just one of those things I'm going to have to deal with, it just doesn't seem to be resolvable without third party apps.

Steam sale recommendation: I’m enjoying Tametsi a lot, which is only 65p in the sale. It’s a pleasingly tough Hexcells/Minesweeper-style game, with some interesting twists such as irrregular grids. 160 puzzles, no guesswork involved, the dev reckons it will take 40 hours fo finish. I'm only ~30 puzzles in, but some have been pretty brutal already. John Walker has a review which calls it "one of the best logic puzzle games you can buy on PC".

https://store.steampowered.com/app/709920/Tametsi/

Excuse this, but I need somewhere to brain vomit; I've had my eye on Oxygen Not Included for a while. I really fancy it despite the fact it looks entirely unlike something I'd normally play. I don't do very well with 'stressful' games, or games that require something other than "hit button to smash face" (that may be a slight exaggeration but you get what I mean) but I've been hankering for a meaty game, but not like Hearts of Iron meaty. I tried They Are Billions as I bought it aaaaaaaaaaaages ago and I can't get past the first scenario and uninstalled it in a huff after the 6th failure.

@robdood recommended ONI after I pondered on Twitter and I had a look through the (admittedly tiny) thread on here but the RPS review from 1.0 launch last year seemed to confirm what I was worried about; that the game requires an inordinate amount of micromanagement and understanding of the minutae of how the systems interlock in the late game.

I'm not sure what I want from posting this, tbh. I've talked myself out of it twice while typing this, which I'd thought would bring some kind of closure but here we are. Thanks for coming to my TED talk on indecision and inconsequential bullshit.

50 minutes ago, yashiro said:

What do you mean by 'meaty game'?

To be honest I'm not entirely sure. Summat a bit thinky, or rpg-y. It doesn't matter because I bought it anyway. I'll play it tonight and probably refund it tomorrow knowing me.

• milko changed the title to Steam - There's a sale on