Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Motherboard drivers are no hassle at all, really. I update mine every time there's a new iteration of them, even if it's beta, and I've had no problems at all.

Personally, I love Steam. It's a completely stable platform from, and means I don't have to worry about downloading updates or anything, as it all happens for me. Never had any problems since HL2 was released... I sometimes think that Steam has a bad reputation stemming from the 'old days' when it really was a bit dodgy in places.

If Valve went bust, I'm sure an update would be released to remove the Steam check from game startup.

Including Motherboard drivers, which I heard you're not supposed to mess around with at all unless after first setting up a computer, unless you want to shit everything up.

Advice given by those who know what they are doing to those who aren't entirely au fait with the process, to save the aforementioned knowledgeable people fixing the resultant mess.

Very bad, according to a friend of mine.

Seems like they've tried to make it much more accesible than 1 or 2 (both of which I thought were very good but impenetrable for the first 2 hours)

I've only looked at it for about 20 minutes so far though. What didn't your friend like about it?

• 10 months later...

Some new features are coming to Steam this summer.

Nicked from NeoGaf

Steam

-------

o More games from independents and publishers

- Simultaneous releases with retail

- Also out-of-print libraries

- capcom titles started this week

o Starting to get drivers onto Steam (ATI)

o Steam Community this summer (prior to Orange Box)

- Free addition to Steam driven by gamer feedback

Steam Identity

----------------

o Create Profile and Home page

- Preferences

- Affiliation

- Statistics

o Control Panel

- Public versus private

- Schedule

- Real-time status

o Revamped all the communications function to make it easier to play with your friends

- Find a friend

- See who's online or playing

- Invite Friends to chat or play

- Join a friend's game

Steam Community - Communications

----------------------------------

o Instant Messaging, integrated voice (finally), and chat rooms

o Works with non-Steam games

Steam Community - Affiliation

-------------------------------

o Join or create new groups

o Scheduling/Organizing tournaments and matches

Half-life 2 : Episode Two

---------------------------

o 5 Games, One Box

o Available on October 9

o More TF2 Movies

o Steam will have variety of offers

I honestly expect, having read a lot about the company, that if that happened, that they would unlock everything.

Doesn't look like happening soon, fortunately.

Depends on what the people who buy the assets of Valve would say...

That's a brilliant hypothesis. You should get a prize.

I mean, this is a wider issue than Valve, isn't it? If Apple go out of business tomorrow, what will happen to everyone with Macs?

I'm also not sure if I want to buy a 360 anymore - what if MS cease trading? All that XBLA stuff will just have been a waste! :(

I'll use an example from my previous employer.

We ran a rather nice and very expensive database system called Informix. Very stable, very well performing. Only, when you installed it, you needed to call informix for an unlock code, the code that was linked to your licence. Each reinstall required a recall.

Forward 5 years. IBM have since bought Informix, and killed loads of their product support.

We build a new server, as the old one was 5 years old and creaky.

Cool, we call Informix. Only the number was dead. Then we call IBM, and get put through to India. Eventually we get hold of an engineer in England. Who couldn't help. IBM had discontinued the registration program.

So we're left with this £20k piece of software, which is vital to our business, which we can install because our suppier are cunts*. Of course the remedy IBM suggest was to pay another £20k to buy the very latest version of said database, which for us would give nothing (legecy app).

That is what'll happen if Valve decide to change something with Steam, only it won't be when you reinstall your PC - it'll be immediatly.

Obviously there's no way of seeing the future of Valve and they could turn their attitude around, but from current experience I don't see them doing something like forcing a subscription on people to play games they already own. From looking at the recent hardware survey which showed most people are playing on older systems, I doubt people would stand for a sudden expensive sub, and if Valve need more revenue I think it's reasonable to assume they'd go with more advertising on there instead seeing as they recently talked about it.

With GFW Live (and it's sub costs) doing similar things I think Valve would want to keep Steam as a free alternative to stay competitive rather than giving gamers a reason to jump ship.

I could be very wrong in the end though...

That's a brilliant hypothesis. You should get a prize.

I mean, this is a wider issue than Valve, isn't it? If Apple go out of business tomorrow, what will happen to everyone with Macs?

I'm also not sure if I want to buy a 360 anymore - what if MS cease trading? All that XBLA stuff will just have been a waste! :(

I'll use an example from my previous employer.

We ran a rather nice and very expensive database system called Informix*. Very stable, very well performing. Only, when you installed it, you needed to call informix for an unlock code, the code that was linked to your licence. Each reinstall required a recall.

Forward 5 years. IBM have since bought Informix, and killed loads of their product support.

We build a new server, as the old one was 5 years old and creaky.

Cool, we call Informix. Only the number was dead. Then we call IBM, and get put through to India. Eventually we get hold of an engineer in England. Who couldn't help. IBM had discontinued the registration program.

So we're left with this £20k piece of software, which is vital to our business, which we can install because our suppier are cunts*. Of course the remedy IBM suggest was to pay another £20k to buy the very latest version of said database, which for us would give nothing (legecy app).

That is what'll happen if Valve decide to change something with Steam, only it won't be when you reinstall your PC - it'll be immediatly.

* Arguably one of the best arguments for virtualisation, too.

I imagine that if Valve went down, you could simply force Steam into Offline Mode* and all your purchases would work fine, albeit with no multiplayer mode and difficulty patching. However I suspect that Valve will have an exit strategy planned in advance, probably involving the use of third-party multiplayer servers and some sort of patching interface.

*It would do this by default if the Steam servers were dead, or a thirdparty firewall-style app could be set up to intercept Steam packets and give the impression that your internet connection is down as far as Steam is concerned.

Am I the only one that's very riled up about Valve getting rid of the HL:E2 boxset which didn't come with the original two games? I don't like paying for software I already own.

Are you sure they've done that? I was under the impression that was just the retail version - you could buy it separately (with the extra games) on Steam.

Are you sure they've done that? I was under the impression that was just the retail version - you could buy it separately (with the extra games) on Steam.

Yeah, just buy Episode 2 and you'll get Portal, Team Fortress 2 etc.. for free via Steam.

I don't like it, but my situation is somewhat unique - Steam uses IP filtering so it knows I'm a piracy risk, as I'm not in the same country that my debit card was issued in. NCSoft games are the same.

Same happens with me every time I want to buy something.

It's such a pain - I've likened Steam to iTunes in the past but in reality it's not as flexible.

It's not like the master list servers pay for themselves. Would you pay a subscription to remove the ads?

No. But then again I also wouldn't have bought the game if I knew I'd be buying an interactive billboard at the time.

Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved GET! I just need to purchase a 360 wireless pad, and it'll work with my PC right?

Yes it does, as long as you have the 360 wireless reciever too, it'll make all 360 accessories work. I use the Microsoft wireless wheel and the wireless headset fine on my pc and 360 which is really convienent as they're both in the same room.

And the pad works great with the game in Vista so I expect it'll work fine with XP too.

Back to the OT, I used to hate Steam, but after reinstalling it again recently to try Team Fortress Classic, I realised I could re-download the whole of HL2 even though I lost my original disk and was never able to play it properly.

In this regards I love Steam. There are some things I don't like about it, but I'm more for it now than I used to be.

No. But then again I also wouldn't have bought the game if I knew I'd be buying an interactive billboard at the time.

It's not like you have to look at adverts while you play the game, what's the problem?

No, ones in-game. I didn't read about it specifically, but I think what they are doing is putting ad signs into CS 1.6 (and maybe others?). The problem people had with it was it's implemented across all versions of the game so people paying for and running private CS server hardware would have ads put in without their control, and all the revenue goes straight back to Valve, not them. Also they looked quite out of place just stuck on a brick wall etc, rather than proper billboards like the adverts in Battlefield 2142. I don't think it will bother me that much seeing ads as long as they aren't intrusive, but I can see why private server owners might be complaining.

• 4 weeks later...
THQ has now joined the Steam publisher list.

So that's

2K Games

Eidos

Activision

Capcom

THQ

Who else is left to join the Steam family? :D

I bought Titan Quest along with the expansion yesterday, for over five pounds less than the price in town. I love Steam. ;)

I bought Titan Quest along with the expansion yesterday, for over five pounds less than the price in town. I love Steam. :angry:

You can pick up Titan Quest online (admittedly without the expansion) for 3 pounds (www.thegamecollection.net) so it's not much of a bargain.

The best of the underground pack for 20 dollars isn't bad though:

Rag Doll Kung Fu, Gumboy, Eets and Geometry Wars