IGNORED

Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Maybe it's just me, but I think the top one looks like a photo of a jungle, and the bottom one looks like a computer rendering of a jungle. If photo-realism is the goal, then the top one wins.

Maybe youd have to have seen it in motion but to me the cvg one looks like a really washed out low res screen from that map.

It's the black section on the right that's the most obvious to me, well the fact that it's actually grey when it should be black. I admit I do struggle to see how people don't see it, the whole image is just washed out no vibrancy or depth to it. If you're looking for photo realism though I do agree the bottom goes a little too far the other way, I think it's mainly the tree and rock on the right, too overworked the shadows lack subtleness, looks better from a distance.

I know people see things and react to them differently which I've always found interesting, how people can see the same thing so differently. Something that comes up a lot in computer games as well, how some people just don't see tearing etc. It's the post processing stuff especially AA that often gets me, I just can't stand the blurriness of it all, I need sharp crisp lines, even if they're jaggy. One of the reasons I think Mirror's Edge is amongst the best looking games out there and P.N.03 before that. Now a HD remake of P.N.03 with ME in mind would be perfect.

Daily Deal: Prototype £7.49

2K Weekend, up to 50% off their games and a new deal each day.

Thurs: Borderlands: GoTY £4.99, DLC £1.57 each.

Make sure you scroll down the page to the GoTY edition as it's the same price as the game on its own. I think it's excellent and definitely worth the price, had lots of fun playing it solo.

Oh piss. That's too hard to resist at that price.

If it helps, I bought the BenQ one on that RPS list. It's only 24", but it's 120hz (which is awesome, thanks for the infectious enthusiasm, Clippa). I suspect that 27" would be slightly too big for 1080p in terms of pixel density - you'd have to switch to a 1440p display - but you're going to need some serious grunt to push that.

Oh, thanks - will play with that later. I've spent some time messing with the colour and felt that it was slightly washed out, but I couldn't tell if it was because it was sat next to my old monitor which is a bit, er... Yellow.

Overall completely thrilled with it though. I spent about 20 minutes moving windows around the screen marvelling that it almost felt like a CRT. Almost.

Since a lot of people connect their PCs to tvs these days I'd certainly be interested if some magazine/website did a feature to test specifically for the best tvs out there for and the best response times with controllers (or whatever people use) You can usually find that information with a lot of digging but can be quite tricky to dig up at times. Probably more for LCDs, I'm still not convinced with plasmas being hooked up to PCs and the burn in they can have etc.

Not that I can afford any of it anyway so I'm stuck with this woolworths Technosonic tv for the meantime :lol: (which has admittedly served me well)

What sort of games do you play, decider? What is most important to you? Do you play a lot of MMO's and strategy games and stuff or are you all about fast paced fps and arcadey stuff? Do you do any sort of graphical or photo work where accurate colours and consistent gamma would be essential?

How powerful is your rig? Are you after 1080p or a higher res? Would you prefer 16:9 or 16:10 or are you not bothered?

It'd mainly be FPS and other fast-paced games, as well as films and other regular day-to-day stuff. Likely 1920x1080 as it seems 16:10 is getting harder to find these days. I did think about the Dell U2711, but I was concerned about response time for an IPS, and the resolution is likely too much for games (i7 2600k, GTX 580 1536mb), and will probably cripple my Mac Mini on day to day stuff (HD 3000 lol). I once had a 22" Gateway IPS that I really liked, but it died.

How far away is this 27" monitor going to be by the way? For me personally, from experience, I've found that anything over about 24 inch either 16:9 or 16:10 is worse rather than better.

It'll be around arm's length, more or less (although the intention is for it to be adjustable via an arm). I'm sure it'll be fine as I work with two monitors of similar size.

Thanks for the responses. I'm on my phone at the moment but I'll definitely check out the links when I get a chance.

Input lag on HDTVs is always high but probably not that noticeable if you're using a control pad.

There's a thread here that might be of use to you, no idea how up to date it is - http://shoryuken.com...atabase.145141/

It is a nightmare, and a lot of information on the web is unreliable, when my monitor died and I was buying a new one, you know I'm a bit of a lag queen, I sent about 4 back before I settled on one. The lg w2363d is utter bliss in that regard. Literally 0ms of input lag with thru mode enabled.

Aye, unfortunately for some HDTVs the lag/response time can be so high that they're even noticeable on joypads. I did a little bit of research on this before and Panasonics were generally quite reliable though again it depends on the tv model itself.

Cheers for that link though, I never even thought of Shoryuken even though it makes perfect sense for fighting games since they'd be one of the most sensitive to lag.

One easy thing to check for, though it's not 100% guaranteed, is whether the TV you're looking at has a "game" mode which effectively just turns off most of the processing the TV does to your signal, so it comes through faster.

I've tried all the different methods of 3d gaming, nvidia, tridef, samsungs on the fly 2d to 3d conversion, and they're all worthless.

This pretty much confirms my gut feelings, if they can't make it work to the extent where I go "Wow!" in the cinema, what chance have they got at home. It was just with all the monitor chat I wondered if things had moved on any in the meantime.

if they can't make it work to the extent where I go "Wow!" in the cinema, what chance have they got at home.

And this is exactly why I have no interest whatsoever in 3D gaming... if possible I always try to catch the 2D version of a movie at the cinema, as I think (imho of course) that 3D just looks corny, it never ever makes me feel like whoa I'm like totally into this movie like I'm tripping balls dude! I just find it distracting, and from what I've played of 3D gaming (including the 3DS), I feel the same about games.

• bradigor pinned and unpinned this topic