Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

Steam is great but there is a bit of ridiculously priced stuff on there.

True, but it goes both ways, some of the stuff seems insanely cheap, but some seems pretty expensive (aka original RRP).

They always have some good discounts on though.

Could=would I imagine.

I like Steam a lot, excellent download speeds, automatically patches your games and decent prices for a lot of the older stuff (we bought the two Longest Journey games this week for about a tenner).

Every iD game to be on Steam. Quakecon attendants can get the package for a spiffy $60 or so.

Eurogamer has details (they're up late...):

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=80814

Looks like everything except for Quake IV and Quake Wars (obviously). All games are available individually, but here are the packages you can get:

DOOM 3 Pack: Includes DOOM 3 and DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil

QUAKE III Pack: Includes QUAKE III Arena and QUAKE III: Team Arena

Wolf Pack: Includes Wolf 3D, Spear of Destiny and Return to Castle Wolfenstein

DOOM Pack Complete: Includes all DOOM games released by id

QUAKE Pack: Includes all 8 QUAKE Titles available on Steam

Heretic\HeXen Pack: Includes Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders, HeXen, HeXen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel, HeXen II

id Super Pack: Every id game on Steam

Commander Keen is also there, all five episodes bundled as a single game! B)

EDIT: Also I'm slow

I think, in general, it's a bit of a rip-off. $10 each for Doom, Final Doom, Quake II and Quake? $18 each for RTCW, Quake III and Q3:TA? The super pack isn't bad value, but individually it's a bit of a joke - these titles have long been avaliable cheaper off of Steam for a long time. All the Dooms, including 3, were avaliable for "only" £10 until recently.

Tempted to buy Keen though.

Edit: Looks like the packs are better value.

Edit 2: I wish Steam worked like iTunes, where you can buy the parts of the pack and then get money off the total pack.

Looks like everything except for Quake IV and Quake Wars (obviously).

Why obviously? For $60 I would expect it to be in there :)

Not having Quake IV takes it from a slightly overpriced pack to a fucking pointless one at that price.

Err, the comment I was replying to only had the information that it was going to be $60, there was no mention of a release date so I didn't know QW wouldn't be out when this was released. Obviously.

Yes, it's massively overpriced - and I love iD. You can probably pick Quake 4 up for about £5 on the highstreet now.

Not having Quake IV takes it from a slightly overpriced pack to a fucking pointless one at that price.

£30 for 24 games is pointless?

edit: Amazon shows that Quake 4 is going for £10 now. I expect that if Quake 4 does turn up it'll be for $20.

To be fair, Commander Keen is a pile of fucking shite. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly insane/hadn't been introduced to the joy of console gaming at the time of its (their) release.

To be fair, Commander Keen is a pile of fucking shite. Anyone who says otherwise is clearly insane/hadn't been introduced to the joy of console gaming at the time of its (their) release.

You're the wrongest person in the history of wrong.

I'm having some trouble with Steam. It loads up fine, lots me in, and works for about 15 seconds, then just doesn't respond, just stays on the Store screen. If I click on "My games" nothing happens, if I click on one of the adverts in the store, nothing happens. I've just tried reinstalling it, and its just the same again.

:ph34r: