Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I keep trying to win it on Steamgifts :lol:

Might just bite the bullet and buy it

I got it for £2.49 in the sale, not sure I'd have paid much more - it's gone up to £12ish now.

It's nertacular fun. I really enjoy it even though I'm utterly dreadful at it :blush:

Noticing a lot of you guys think you've got some ppeeeeeretty cool games in the Steam Summer Sale.

While you guys battle drug lords, aliens and nazis, I'm servicing the good people of England with reliable train services.

fnrLC.jpg

Disclaimer: 2hrs in and I still do not understand signals, points or brakes. This game is fucking hard. :(

I am there with you. If you look under the game's directory (...Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Manuals\EN) there are very useful manuals in there. Explain signalling, and how to drive all the locomotives. I will admit this now... I bought the West Coast Main Line pack as well. The old Intercity train that comes with is an absolute fucker to drive, you have to do all sorts of strange stuff or it shorts out. When it's at full speed though <3

Weirdly compelling game. When you manage to bring home a one hour commuter service only 30 seconds late with just a few points off for speeding... it's really satisfying.

Far Cry 2 does seem tempting, any good? I did play FC1 back in the day, and got not very far in. I think up to where you got in a ship and then when you got to the deck there was a helicopter shooting at you or something. Anyway, I didn't play it past that but enjoyed up to there. Is this anything like that? I don't usually play shooters much (I've still not finished HL2, which I bought on release), but might fancy one. Or I could actually play one of the L4Ds or Killing Floor or something, rather than looking at the icons for them.

In fact, was Far Cry any good after the bit I stopped playing?

Other than being an open world first person shooter Far Cry isn't much like Far Cry 2 at all, thankfully. Far Cry 2 tries to be very immersive and almost simulation-like, in some ways. It was the best game of 2008. Although it has some idiosyncratic game design which some hate. The thread about it on this forum is a good place to check out.

Far Cry 2 is an excellent game. I neverf inished it but I thouroughly enjoyed what I played of it (on 360) and have every intention of getting back into it at some point. I remember it being a lovely world just to wander/drive/boat about in and kill some people whenever I fancied.

Far Cry 2 is one of my favourite shooters, and I've played a bunch of them. It has this unique mission structure where the journey is often more challenging / more fun than the actual mission itself. That's not to say that the missions themselves are boring or flawed, they're not, but the world itself is just such an amazing place to travel through. It has my second favourite gun of all time too, the Uzi in this is just brutal. Has that class 80s movie Uzi 9mm sound and eats through a whole clip in about a second. Anyone standing in front of a burst doesn't stand a chance.

My favourite gun would be in my next recommendation. F.E.A.R. The first one of the series is still the best. Ok story, some nice scares, slightly repetitive locales but the most satisfying combat probably yet in an FPS. The shotgun in this is still the best gun in an FPS ever plus it has nifty bullet time mechanics and interesting enemies.

Lastly, I'd say check out Crysis and Crysis Warhead. The USP in this (aside from the graphics engine) is the suit that lets you "play like the motherfucking Predator" as has been said before on here. Invisibility, speed, strength - toying with North Korean soldiers has never been so much fun. The suit really gives you the empowerment in this, for once you're the hunter, not the hunted.

Grab any of these and you won't be disappointed.

I am there with you. If you look under the game's directory (...Steam\steamapps\common\railworks\Manuals\EN) there are very useful manuals in there. Explain signalling, and how to drive all the locomotives. I will admit this now... I bought the West Coast Main Line pack as well. The old Intercity train that comes with is an absolute fucker to drive, you have to do all sorts of strange stuff or it shorts out. When it's at full speed though <3

Weirdly compelling game. When you manage to bring home a one hour commuter service only 30 seconds late with just a few points off for speeding... it's really satisfying.

:wub:

The prospect of posting on a genuine Train Simulator 2012 forum to find out the info in those manuals was causing me great anxiety as to what I had become - you've helped save my life in a small way.

I drunkenly bought the Portsmouth to Waterloo mainline expansion last night so we're pretty even :lol:

Also, boot sales are the place for joysticks. I've moved from a Saitek serial one, to a Microsoft serial to USB, to a transforming (it becomes a joypad as well) Saitek one to a mains powered force feedback Microsoft stick for a grand total of about £8. Honestly I'd have got the value out of the last one. I do want to find a proper one (with pedals and stuff), but I'm pretty happy with what I've got really. I almost got a spare at the last one I went to, but it started raining.

There's no wonder I can't cope with Steam sales really, is there?

I had Far Cry 2 on 360 and it annoyed me immensely that enemies kept respawning at check points and the like within minutes of being cleared out. Is that still the case in the PC version?

Having played through it recently, yes they still do that.

Far Cry 2 does seem tempting, any good? I did play FC1 back in the day, and got not very far in. I think up to where you got in a ship and then when you got to the deck there was a helicopter shooting at you or something. Anyway, I didn't play it past that but enjoyed up to there. Is this anything like that? I don't usually play shooters much (I've still not finished HL2, which I bought on release), but might fancy one. Or I could actually play one of the L4Ds or Killing Floor or something, rather than looking at the icons for them.

In fact, was Far Cry any good after the bit I stopped playing?

I'll quote below what I posted in the Far Cry 2 thread ages ago, I think it's still relevant even now :)

It really isn't a game for everyone, it's very unique in how it approaches things but I can only really speak for myself in why I love it so much so I'll try to explain. For me it's mostly about the game world, it's as much a character in the game as anything else. The atmosphere, the sound of everything in the world, the changing weather, the way it naturally shifts from one environment to another (a good example is going from a jungle area to a desert area in a way which doesn't feel forced). It's a game mostly about the journeys you have with some firefights and missions in between. The game is VERY samey in what you have to do, it's mostly kill someone or destroy a truck so you aren't playing it for mission variety. It's the approach it takes to this. It's incredibly laid back. Apart from when you are in a firefight you are never under pressure, I honestly find it very relaxing to play. If you get into it, you REALLY get into it. It's a very immersive world if you enjoy it. I would honestly prefer it over something like Crysis in terms of an actual game world.

Apart from the actual world it's about the choice you have in approaching situations. Do you

1. Get as close as you can with a silenced pistol before finishing everyone off with a silenced machine gun ?

2. Start throwing grenades and go in with a heavy machine gun ?

3. Stand atop of a hill nearby and use a sniper rifle to kill everyone ?

4. Use your flare to shoot at the grass nearby which somehow manages to engulfs everyone with flames ?

5. Stand atop of a hill with a big fucking rocket launcher killing everyone with that ?

6. Drive in with your vehicle and quickly switch to your mounted 50 cal shooting every motherfucker that moves ?

7. Go in guns blazing with your shotgun and run around like a madman ?

Every single one of these is a viable option to a situation and it just gives you a lot of freedom to fuck around. I love experimenting, I'm the sort of person who has to try every weapon and lots of combinations. I'm like a kid in a sweet shop everytime I go into the weapons room and can pick and choose. I can actually stand there and talk to myself for 5 mins on what I want to take to a mission.

Plus on the missions themselves you may have a plan and things go absolutely pear shaped making you think on the fly.

Haha you fuckers I've killed you!

Oh wait there's one left, come here you

Shit, I'm out of ammo!

You get shot and are on one bar of life left so you hide and pull the bullet from your leg. The guys still shooting at you and you're like 'fuck I need to heal'

You heal and you run looking for the closest gun you can find. You pick one up and you shoot, your gun jams and you think you're screwed. Then right in front of you the guy you were shooting at keels over dead. You thank your lucky stars you escaped with that one. This all happens under various conditions too, it could be pitch black in the middle of the night, it could be during a beautiful sunset or sunrise, it could be during a thunderstorm or when its pissing with rain or even in the moonlight.

It's very much about the emergent moment to moment gameplay you can have and all the little stories it creates unique to you. Even now, 2 years after Far Cry 2 first came out, not a single other FPS has given me the experiences that game gives me and still continues to give me even now.

I apologise for the rambling, just typing what comes into my head. It's really hard to try and explain what make it so appealing. It's also by no means a perfect game, I can list various problems it has but everything good about that overcomes it. People easily call it 'boring' or a 'load of shite' and to be honest I can see how it comes across like that. There's nothing really like it. If you need a completely directed experience you won't enjoy it at all. I still have friends on my friends list who tease me about playing it when I play some Halo with them after playing some FC2. But you give me a flawed masterpiece like this any fucking day over generic dudebro shooter 1.1 (and I like them games too!). It remains up there as one of my favourite FPS of all time and I don't regret that for one second.

Latest Flash Deal is for Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines at £3.74. This deal lasts for 12 hours so a good bit of time for it :)

Get the patch here http://www.patches-s..._bloodlines.php and it turns from a buggy mess into one of the most amazing rpg's ever. It's geographically small but there's just so much to do that you'll love it. It's Fallout 3 Deus Ex with Vampires basically with only a couple of really shit sections.

Edited by tssk

Bloodlines in a flash sale? Holy shit, miracles do happen! If you've ever had even the slightest interest in RPG's then Bloodlines is unmissable. With the patch tssk links to in his post (it's just double-clicking on an exe, don't worry about it - all automatic like) it's one of the best games you'll ever play on any platform.

Borderlands won the community vote - which is great for me as my brother's been pestering me to get it so we can start some coop for a while. LIKE I'M EVER GOING OT HAVE TIME. Bought.

The list:

Amnesia: The Dark Descent,

Anomaly Warzone Earth,

BioShock 2,

BIT.TRIP BEAT Original Soundtrack,

BIT.TRIP BEAT,

BIT.TRIP RUNNER Original Soundtrack,

BIT.TRIP RUNNER,

Botanicula,

Cave Story+,

Company of Heroes,

Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts,

Darksiders,

Dead Island,

Dead Space 2,

Dear Esther,

Dreamfall: The Longest Journey,

Fallout New Vegas CaravanPack,

Fallout New Vegas ClassicPack,

Fallout New Vegas Old World Blues,

Fallout New Vegas TribalPack,

Fallout New Vegas: Courier's Stash,

Fallout New Vegas: Dead Money,

Fallout New Vegas: Gun Runners' Arsenal,

Fallout New Vegas: Honest Hearts,

Fallout New Vegas: Lonesome Road DLC,

Fallout: New Vegas,

GECK - New Vegas Edition,

Grand Theft Auto 2,

Grand Theft Auto III,

Grand Theft Auto IV,

Grand Theft Auto,

Grand Theft Auto: Episodes from Liberty City,

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas,

Grand Theft Auto: Vice City,

Homefront,

Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet,

Just Cause 2,

Just Cause 2: Chaos Parachute DLC,

Just Cause 2: Chevalier Ice Breaker DLC,

Just Cause 2: Tuk Tuk Boom Boom DLC,

Machinarium Soundtrack,

Machinarium,

Metro 2033,

Napoleon: Total War - Imperial Guard Pack,

Napoleon: Total War,

Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit,

Nexuiz.

Plants vs. Zombies: Game of the Year,

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Call of Pripyat,

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl,

Saints Row: The Third,

Samorost 2,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Beyond the Sword,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization,

Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Warlords,

Super Meat Boy Editor,

Super Meat Boy,

The Binding Of Isaac - Wrath of the Lamb,

The Longest Journey,

The Witcher: Director's Cut DLC,

The Witcher: Enhanced Edition,

Tiny and Big: Grandpa's Leftovers,

Titan Quest,

Titan Quest: Immortal Throne,

Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines

VVVVVV,

Warhammer 40,000 Space Marine,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Campaign DLC,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Last Stand DLC,

Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War II - Retribution - Multiplayer DLC,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II - Chaos Rising™,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II – Retribution™,

Warhammer® 40,000™: Dawn of War® II,

Zeno Clash,

75 items for £122. £1.60 each! Pretty amazing. Though even if I were to get through one a week (which doesn't really make sense since some are epxansions etc), I'd still have some left over by next sale. :lol:

I'll try to be more reserved next time.

And I'm spent. Oblivion GOTY Deluxe got and I also picked up the superb Bloodlines (played it originally on a dodgy yarred copy). That's an amazing amount of quality gaming in store. And just to reiterate tssk and Gerbik's posts above, you really owe it to yourselves to play Bloodlines if you haven't before. I played it through unpatched at release and it was an amazing experience, being a roleplaying game in which you actually play a role and the character you choose affects the game itself (unlike the Elder Scrolls games which, well, excellent, demand the player exercising self-restraint to restrict themselves to one role).

So, since I stopped buying anything else I've bought Dragon Ages: Ultimate Edition, Stalker Pack, Carpe Fulgur Pack, Oblivion, Risen and Bloodlines... I really suck at not buying awesome games. And with all those huge immersive RPGs in the mix I've been caning... :facepalm: Titan Attacks.