Steam - There's a sale on

choddo

I've bought the mega-pack. Incredible value, in my eyes.

I was ecstatic when I found out I could use the 360 pad to play the later Commander Keen games. Although having now gotten used to slower more thoughtful shooters like GRAW, RS:V, Halo and the like it's crazy to go back to this super fast twitch shooters. Even story based ones like RTCW are stupidly fast dis-embodied guns floating around.

Try go in to the options, I think you can set what screen pops up by default, change it to something other than the store.

Ok, I used my 15 seconds to change it, it now loads up showing 'My Games' lets me click things, if I go back on store it hangs again, which is a bit of a pain if I want to browse the titles and buy anything (which I do)

Surely it should just be the same version as what you'd get off a CD? I don't understand why it would be any different.

So anything other than Windows 98 won't play Q3 Arena as it's meant to?

if they're going to put it on Steam, i bloody well expect it to work with my computer :ph34r:

None of these "conversions" (ie. Doom using the Quake engine, anything updated to the source engine) mentioned are by id afaik, so I can't imagine any are available via steam.

It would be interesting to see whether I can download Q3 or any of the other games via steam in the future if I currently have it installed from a CD.

I bought Doom and tested a few of the mods.

Doom using DosBox, which the Steam download uses:

http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...19162943ls7.jpg

This is jDoom:

http://img461.imageshack.us/my.php?image=d...51908579jy7.jpg

Not downloadable through Steam, but it's free anyway. They all are. Really (easily) configurable, and breathes new life either with or without the addons. Now to twist a few arms and get a couple of online games.

Quake 3 runs smooth as a whistle for me on Vista, although I haven't tried it online yet. As for Doom engine source mods, I'd thouroughly reccomend the Doomsday package thingie, incorporating jDoom with a nice interface. After that you can download a nifty add-on pack for the Doom games, replacing all sprites with decent 3D models. The engione works for Heretic and Hexen too, which have their own 3D model packs available, although neither are as complete as the Doom ones. I actually prefer Hexen's sprites to the current 3D models anyway.

So, links!

Doomsday

jDoom Resource Pack - Go for the All-In-One pack

Heretic & Hexen Resource Packs - Self-explanatory. Like I said though, I'm not a fan of the Hexen one. Even the Heretic one currently has no textures for 3D items, and most of the weapon models are still 2D.

It's an utter disgrace that Valve and ID think it's acceptable to violate the GPL and pirate DosBox as they've done. Fuck 'em, no way I'm buying any games from Steam in a while.

Piracy? What is this "GPL" you speak of? :(

It's an utter disgrace that Valve and ID think it's acceptable to violate the GPL and pirate DosBox as they've done. Fuck 'em, no way I'm buying any games from Steam in a while.

According to the makers its allowed by the license

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=16285

EDIT:

or.........maybe not..... based on the rest of the thread....

According to the makers its allowed by the license

http://vogons.zetafleet.com/viewtopic.php?t=16285

EDIT:

or.........maybe not..... based on the rest of the thread....

Just been reading that actually, and it looks like a massive, near irrelevant grey area to me. Either way it doesn't look like id have done anything intentionally malicious here, and what they have overlooked seems to be a mere formality (offering the original, unmodified version of DosBOX alongside their pre-prepared ones). They certainly haven't "pirated" anything, and even the DosBOX team seem to be confused about the GPL.

It's the same difference. It's copyright infringement (aka piracy) unless they comply with the terms of the GPL, which include offering the full source and including the GPL itself. It's not a "technicality" at all to comply with the licence.

They don't comply with the loose terms of the GPL then they have no right to use the software. Simple as that.